Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 22:51   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
You mentioned Chineese Units. Are they substantially cheaper than Garmin?

In India, yes. Garmin units cost 14k. Chinese units cost 6k.

If someone cat get it from US, Garmin units cost $120.

Chinese units can be ordered online from India and cost (6k) includes shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Btw, when you mean tweaking - i hope its not very complicated and you wont be hit by incompatibilities.
Its not complicated at all.

Once you buy maps from SatGuide, they will walk you through installation of maps. Basically just copy a single file (map file) on device and enter code that you received from them.

But this "tweak" can be a put off for average user.
Old 15th October 2009, 22:34   #242
Team-BHP Support

As long as it is legally supported, that should be fine.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:19   #243
Senior - BHPian

Yes its completely Legal and Ethical. You are buying maps from SatGuide and paying them for the same.

And since the device itself is less than INR 25k in cost you need not pay customs duty while bringing it in India from US. That is if the total value of purhcase (this device + other stuff) is less than 25k.
Old 6th November 2009, 09:45   #244
BANNED

Map My India review with the Latest Map

Road/Map:-I can clearly say MMI map is leaps ahead of the competition, although there are some minor roads are missing. They have to fine tune some roads also(tunrs accuracy/ shape of the road).

Route/Reroute:- The other flaw is, by default its look for the "Fastest" route and in this case its brain has to returned. For e.g yesterday i traveled from Langford road to Kasturi nagar and the MMI shows me route through NO ENTRY (under the Richmond road flyover - straight in to Richmond Road. You cannot go straight here as you have to travel near Mallya Hospital and take a U Turn to enter towards Residency Road. Mind you this has been NO ENTRY since long year ago. When I turned left from under the Richmond Flyover towards Mallya hospital it rerouted me through kanteerava indoor stadium, Cubbon Park, M G road and so on. There is no alert for rerouting.

voice guidance:- Fine tuning required. In most of the roads its not giving voice direction under 200 mtrs . It says only 1.5 go straight. When approaching the turn after 1.5 k.m the map shows turn left but no voice guidance to turn left. You cant always watch the map when you drive through city traffic.

POI:- great- there are tons of POI but the color of the POI and the route are same which is not good, although you have an option to turn off the POI's showing up in the map.

Map Viewing angle:- Its providing you a long angle, i tried to adjust to get the street level angle but gone in vain. Does any one tried this and succeeded.

Skin color:- The color combination used are so lite and if you come under the sun its very difficult to view the screen, night mode again using the same color green for the roads as well as POI's.

Search:- Oh Boy- its not user friendly, you needs to type the exact word and name of the things you want. Why don't they make it as a single line search entry so it will show up things which is nearly matching or a do you mean this? feature and show under which category its been listed - way to go. I was searching for my office in Richmond Road , and no way its listed in that category. The road name they put as Richmond Town. Yes its in Richmond Town area but its Richmond Road.

Remarks:- Over all good map compared to the competition. Only upcoming Google navigation can beat them. I hope they are listening.

Price:- Way too high, They are the Honda in this segment.

Last edited by wildon : 6th November 2009 at 09:57.
Old 6th November 2009, 13:14   #245
BANNED

+1 to you wildon...you are absolutely correct in your observations....
Cheers
Dilip
Old 6th November 2009, 13:49   #246
BANNED

The other feature they can include is a demo run for the selected route with voice guidance on controlling speed x>1 to 5 like Polnav6.
Old 6th November 2009, 14:52   #247
BHPian

@ Wildon, Is this review for LX130 from MMI ? Costing on the same ? Its listed as 12000 INR, but any choice of reduction in prices ?
Old 6th November 2009, 19:22   #248
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The other feature they can include is a demo run for the selected route with voice guidance on controlling speed x>1 to 5 like Polnav6.
The older version of MapMyIndia software had this in the menu itself.

But I have seen the word 'simulation' in one instance, but could never figure out how I got to see it and have not seen it afterwards.

Hey, take a look at this:

Hope this works out!
Old 6th November 2009, 19:36   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
@ Wildon, Is this review for LX130 from MMI ? Costing on the same ? Its listed as 12000 INR, but any choice of reduction in prices ?
NO. The PND i used a Chinese make got it from DX and Maps are from MMI (the latest one). It cost me under Rs.5500/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hope this works out!
Yes indeed it worked out, with that video tutorial

Last edited by wildon : 6th November 2009 at 19:53.
Old 7th November 2009, 00:40   #250
BHPian

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know how to import a .kml file in to MapmyIndia navigator ver 3.0 ? (a friend has sent me a route he created in Google Maps as a .kml file)
Old 9th November 2009, 02:04   #251
Team-BHP Support

Carrying on the MMI Vs Satguide battle.

Last week I got my Garmin 205W + Satguide working. Thanks to @Netfreak I was able to view the Satguide maps on the PC. But some how I felt Satguide is very poor in Kerala. I was planning a trip around Munnar and I found that Satguide has hardly anything mentioned.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:55   #252
BHPian

Has anyone use NDrive India maps? Ndrive has a GPS app for iphone which I would like to buy ($65) if it is good.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:30   #253
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know why the big difference between the India maps sold by SatNav and MMI for Garmin and other OE devices?
I read/hear that MMI is better than SatNav or other avialable maps. However, are they able to justify such a big difference? Are their maps provide all functionalities thats been avialable with Garmin devices?
And last thing, are they giving any discounts on their maps? any reference or any special discount to convert a SatNav customer to MMI
Old 11th November 2009, 20:14   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
Has anyone use NDrive India maps? Ndrive has a GPS app for iphone which I would like to buy ($65) if it is good.
NDrive doesn't have india maps.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:35   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
NDrive doesn't have india maps.

Check this link: App Shopper: Ndrive India (Navigation)

Most Viewed