Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 23:15   #421
BHPian

satguide x350-bought

Purchased last week the Satguide for 9699 ( Rs 300 refunded of the delivery charges since i collected from the office directly).Good sales and back up service- Amount was refunded to credit card account in 1 hr.Initially before buying Followed up with Mr Shobham babu of satguide ( got the cell number from the post of ramkya1 Thanks.
Got the free software for loading the maps on the laptop as well.
Thanks to all you guys for advice-HVK,netfreak,thad
Tried it out around Hitech city-Pretty accurate.
Fitted the cig lighter for in car charging.
Going to try the satguide now on long distance trips
Old 8th January 2010, 07:47   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Purchased last week the Satguide for 9699 ( Rs 300 refunded of the delivery charges since i collected from the office directly).Good sales and back up service- Amount was refunded to credit card account in 1 hr.Initially before buying Followed up with Mr Shobham babu of satguide ( got the cell number from the post of ramkya1 Thanks.
Got the free software for loading the maps on the laptop as well.
Thanks to all you guys for advice-HVK,netfreak,thad
Tried it out around Hitech city-Pretty accurate.
Fitted the cig lighter for in car charging.
Going to try the satguide now on long distance trips

Congrats. Can you connect to the GPS device through laptop? Which is the GPS hardware? This is not available for Garmin.

Did you try route planning?

@NFH,

Do you have a routable version of the CGS mapper? The CGS mapper, which I used to translate, did not enable route planning on the translated map in Mapsource. It only allows to add waypoints and transfer them to Garmin.
Old 9th January 2010, 14:56   #423
BHPian

this week i got my Garmin 205W which one of my friend carried from US. i bought it in amazon. i bought Garmin maps from Highland Inc. (Infantry road). The SD card with map costed me Rs.4500 with bill. My device has North America Maps installed in the device memory.

There is a option to select which map you want to use and i have chosen the India Map.

I am facing one problem. When i browse the map it shows all the POIs etc. But when i select a destination and the Map shows where to go (also says turn by turn) no POIs are shown. Although it gives me correct turn by turn direction.

My colleague bought a Garmin device from the same shop and it has India maps installed in device memory. But in his case when he drives to a destination all POIs also get displayed en route.

Gurus can you please help. I hope i did not make a mistake buying the Garmin map for 4.5k. Maybe i should have bought Satuguide for rs.2183.

Also is there is away to copy and re-write India map onto the device memory, like my friend has? Please help.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:09   #424
Senior - BHPian

By default POI are not shown on map.

You can select which Kind of POI (E.g. Petrol Pumps / ATMs ) are to be shown on map. Or you can select to show ALL POI on map, but map gets crowded.

You need to load India + North America maps in Mapsource on PC. Once you do that, you can transfer this set to device. India map is just 80 MB. SD card would not be required once map is transferred to device.
Old 10th January 2010, 17:51   #425
BHPian

after a lot of help from NFB, i figured out that the Garmin map which i bought from Hinghland Inc. (infantry road) is not Navteq, but satguide maps which the guy sole to me for 4500. I would call the guy tomorrow and ask him either to give a full refund by taking the map SD card back or atleast give me the difference (4500-2183).

However, the chances are very slim. i got conned and do not have the time to persuade after the guy.

i wasted rs.2200 :-(
Old 11th January 2010, 16:51   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
after a lot of help from NFB, i figured out that the Garmin map which i bought from Hinghland Inc. (infantry road) is not Navteq, but satguide maps which the guy sole to me for 4500. I would call the guy tomorrow and ask him either to give a full refund by taking the map SD card back or atleast give me the difference (4500-2183).

However, the chances are very slim. i got conned and do not have the time to persuade after the guy.

i wasted rs.2200 :-(
I will recommend not to buy maps from any dealer. If you already have the Garmin device, just order the map online from either Satguide or MMI.

I ordered mine online from Satguide and they sent me an SD card, which works fine. You just need to indicate that you want Garmin compatible map.

Also I just spoke to the Satguide team. Their new release is due next week and they are upgrading to 600 cities. This will be a major update.

I remember there was an earlier post, which said MMI is providing updated map for ~600 cities. Although I did not see this info in the press/MMI site, it may be same update on their (MMI) side as well.

I also hope all these folks keep track of development on the major cities and update maps accordingly.

Mapping is improving !
Old 18th January 2010, 14:11   #427
J.Ravi

Today I had been to Tamarind Tree located near Amruth Nagar Main Road off Kanakapura Road. My MMI Lx130 did not show Tamarind Tree on the map/PoI. But, Google map showed it. Ultimately, I used Google map to know its correct location and access.

Old 18th January 2010, 14:38   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I remember there was an earlier post, which said MMI is providing updated map for ~600 cities. Although I did not see this info in the press/MMI site, it may be same update on their (MMI) side as well.

Mapping is improving !
MMI's website mentions 620 cities now - click on "read more" link on their maps for garmin devices
Old 18th January 2010, 17:28   #429
Senior - BHPian

Mmi Vx140

my MMI Nvigator - got the device LCD screen (recieved damged in transit)got repaired from MMI and now it is working in order.

See some photographs of the device:

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-ewc-004.jpg

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-ewc-006.jpg

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-ewc-007.jpg

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-ewc-008.jpg

Name:  ewc 009.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 20th January 2010, 13:23   #430
Team-BHP Support

I just noticed the following news:

http://www.satguide.in/Images/News/398.jpg

Satguide launches GPS for Nokia Symbian phones. I guess it may be old news, but neverthless thought I would share.
Old 20th January 2010, 13:40   #431
BHPian

Anybody who is using MMI PC version were successful in connecting the GPS ? I am able to connect the GPS to the Laptop but the program crashes once the vehicle GPS positions changes at a rapid rate.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:18   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
my MMI Nvigator - got the device LCD screen (recieved damged in transit)got repaired from MMI and now it is working in order.
Good to know that you got it repaired back. Did you pay anything to MMI?
My Vx140, i have used extensively during Christmas vacation trip to Kerala and back. I have covered some 2400km during that time.
Explored some new routes at southern part of Kerala, giving accurate direction.
I am happy with this one.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:20   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Anybody who is using MMI PC version were successful in connecting the GPS ? I am able to connect the GPS to the Laptop but the program crashes once the vehicle GPS positions changes at a rapid rate.
Just curious to know what is the usage mode in this case? Because the PC will not be a mobile unit. Are you saying while traveling in a vehicle, you will open a laptop and connect to a GPS device in order to monitor? In that the GPS standalone should suffice.

Sorry to ask I did not understand the reason, one would like to connect a GPS device to a PC.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:46   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Good to know that you got it repaired back. Did you pay anything to MMI?
My Vx140, i have used extensively during Christmas vacation trip to Kerala and back. I have covered some 2400km during that time.
Explored some new routes at southern part of Kerala, giving accurate direction.
I am happy with this one.
+
Thanks

MMI asked Rs.1500 towards Screen replacement.
I have insisted the dealer to pay 50% and balance 50% (Rs.750) paid by me. I know, I can dispute this also, but then I am the loser as we know the dispute settlement will keep on dragging and till then I cannot be able to utilize the device.

Inspite of paying extrs Rs.750, it still worked cheaper for me in comparison with those who bought the navigator direct from MMI (MMI price was Rs.14990/- for vx140, whereas I got it at Rs.13650/- from the dealer-i.e
Rs.1000 discount from the dealer and Rs.500 discount voucher from ebay.)

am planning for a long drive on sunday (to chennai and back) and I will use this navigator for the first time and let see how it works?
Old 20th January 2010, 14:48   #435
BHPian

There is a new 2 DIN GPS + entertaintment device currently on offer from Satguide -

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-satguide2din.jpg

Looks like a good deal. I would like one but I think I will wait for a while for prices to come down lower.

Most Viewed