Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 14:40   #661
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
How do I install Mapsource on my PC? I downloaded the file but it gives me an error message which reads "Previous Mapsource not found. Setup will terminate". I didn't get a disk or anything with my Nuvi 750 either.
Have your nuvi connected to the PC while installing it. I tried that and it worked. If that doesn't work, check the PM I send you shortly.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2010, 10:59   #662
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I used the setting of quickest route (instead of shortest route). The nuvi with satnav showed me 33 kms of exact route I take from office to home!
I'm impressed!
Old 27th March 2010, 12:42   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
BTW I got a garmin 265wt after much mulling!

Did you get 265WT from US ? How much did that cost you ?
Also, pls share your experience of the Bluetooth functionality ? Heard from couple of users that the bluetooth is not very effective as the speakers are tinny !

I am confused between 205W and 265WT. The only difference is the bluetooth functionality in 265 and the price difference between the 2 models is around USD 65.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:07   #664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Also, pls share your experience of the Bluetooth functionality ? Heard from couple of users that the bluetooth is not very effective as the speakers are tinny !

I am confused between 205W and 265WT. The only difference is the bluetooth functionality in 265 and the price difference between the 2 models is around USD 65.
I have a 205W. For simple GPS related functions, its a real VFM ! I was not needing BT and hence opted against it. Has served me well for the last 5-6 months. No complaints what so ever.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:04   #665
Team-BHP Support

@Netfreak, Can you please answer my question on the Garmin software which I had asked earlier?
Old 27th March 2010, 20:31   #666
BHPian

What are the features which differentiate between SATNAV and GPS? Which one is costlier? Which one is better to carry on the go and on the drive?

And Can I buy any GPS Unit in India with prelaoded maps of UK and Europe? Which Companies? I heard in UK Tom Tom is popular, but worldwide it's Garmin.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jaaz : 27th March 2010 at 20:33.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:15   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What are the features which differentiate between SATNAV and GPS?
I think that "Satnav" was an earlier generation of satelite navigation, used only by ships and boats. If it was used on land, it was certainly not used by ordinary small vehicles. The first Satnav units I saw (and it was a real luxury gadget to have aboard a yacht then!) just gave co-ordinates, course, etc, in digits on a small display; digitisation of charts, and then maps for land use, came later.

Thus "Satnav" may be a trade name of a particular product now, but GPS (Global Positioning System) is the name of the entire system.

I too (when I eventually buy; it's not a priority) want UK maps on my GPS --- I think we have to get it in UK/Europe!
Old 27th March 2010, 23:07   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Netfreak, Can you please answer my question on the Garmin software which I had asked earlier?
Pretty much the same process as Mapsource... you need to:

1. Download software from Garmin site (free download) and install on phone
2. Copy maps to cell phone
3. Attach Garmin unit to cell phone via bluetooth

For using software with non Garmin units or with built in GPS in cell, you need a registration code. Micro SD card with Garmin XT is almost always on sale for ~$20 in Best Buy , Target, FRY etc.

PM me if you need more detail.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:58   #669
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post

I bought the 265wt from UK. with shipping it worked out to 8600 INR. GBP is at rock bottom nowadays and the conversion helped!

I use nokia 2700 with the 265wt and the bluetooth works fine. When the phone rings it's damn loud at full volume and often shocks us out as the car is very silent till then.
Only grouse is that I have to keep the windows up to make and receive phone calls to cut out the wind and other ambient noises. Friends hear me clearly, but feel that I'm in a bathroom or some enclosed space!

BT is very helpful for me as I strictly don't hold my phone to my ears when I drive. So was never picking up calls. With bluetooth, it's fun on the Garmin.

Today I'd been to Morachi Chincholi. Satguide's maps didn't have a couple of roads that goes to Chincholi Morachi from Shikrapur. The route taking Nagar road till shikrapur and then over to chincholi morachi from there reduces the distance by a whoppign 65 kms from what satguide's maps suggested.

I used google earth for creating the shortest route and saved that as kml. Used an application to convert that to gpx, created tracks and way points and moved to garmin.
Now the garmin showed the route as what I'd created using google earth.

I stuck to the map planned and found that after shikrapur the route I chose and planned was through the fields and is full of rocks. That was the shortest.
On the way back I chose a slightly longer route that is not in satguide, because the road is atleast paved.

It's fun. Here's a screenshot of the route I took.
The dark blue line shows the road I took from shikrapur and the yellow line shows the route back from chincholi morachi.
Name:  Chincholi Morachi.bmp
Views: 3073
Size:  698.9 KB

Saw close to 20 peacocks in 5 mins in Chincholi Morachi. This was a trip to test my garmin and satguide and also work around mapsource and google earth So didn't take my camera.
Garmin rocks!

Last edited by MX6 : 29th March 2010 at 00:08.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:00   #670

Garmin 205w with Satguide

Hi,

I am located in Bangalore and got a Garmin 205w unit from US. Ordered satguide maps yesterday and within 2-3 min of placing the order, got a call from their customer support confirming my order.

I have one question about charging the device though. Do users always charge their device using the car charger? Is a home charger recommended? If yes, where can we get one?

best wishes,
Anshul
Old 31st March 2010, 18:10   #671
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul_UVA View Post
Hi,

I am located in Bangalore and got a Garmin 205w unit from US. Ordered satguide maps yesterday and within 2-3 min of placing the order, got a call from their customer support confirming my order.

I have one question about charging the device though. Do users always charge their device using the car charger? Is a home charger recommended? If yes, where can we get one?

best wishes,
Anshul
I use the USB cable and charge it through my laptop. Didn't need a home charger as yet. Best place to find home chargers would be ebay!

Welcome to the garmin - satguide combo club. I'm damn impressed with satguide.
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:06   #672
Senior - BHPian

New to the world of GPS!

Guys,

I am on the lookout for a GPS. Primary intent is to be used on long drives and not intra-city directions. Also, am not as keen on navigation as I am on accurate positioning.

As I see it, I have two options:

a. Use a GPS positioning device with a PDA which has maps (say Google) installed:

Pros - cheaper
Cons - dependency on GPRS coverage

b. Use a standalone GPS device (say SatNav or MMI)

Pros/Cons - vice versa of the above

I would prefer (b) if I can get a good deal. At the outset, I am impressed with Google Maps and am not such a great fan of MMI maps (as available on the web). I have not seen/used the maps packaged with Garmin or SatNav.

Experts - please advice!!!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:20   #673
BHPian

Even I am on lookout for a standalone GPS device (preferably less than 15K). I was looking at MMI, SatGuide and Garmin Nuvi series. MMI has got this RoadPilot and it looks very affordable. However, I am not sure whether or not it supports map upgrades (it doesn't have SD card slot, but has USB).

And, Garmin Nuvi 265WT seems to be good and feature rich. Can MMI/SatGuide maps be installed on Garmin Nuvi devices?

And, how about SatGuide PND products?

Guys, please advice!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:31   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

I am on the lookout for a GPS. Primary intent is to be used on long drives and not intra-city directions. Also, am not as keen on navigation as I am on accurate positioning.

As I see it, I have two options:

a. Use a GPS positioning device with a PDA which has maps (say Google) installed:

Pros - cheaper
Cons - dependency on GPRS coverage
You do not need GPRS. Google / Nokia and other maps can be stored on phone and can be used for positioning.

Phones that are good for this purpose start from approx 10k. Ot for 2 - 3k you can attach GPS device to existing phones.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:54   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You do not need GPRS. Google / Nokia and other maps can be stored on phone and can be used for positioning.

Phones that are good for this purpose start from approx 10k. Ot for 2 - 3k you can attach GPS device to existing phones.
As far as I know, maps on mobiles are not cached beyond and extent and are downloaded real-time for which you WOULD need GPRS coverage throughout.

Most Viewed