Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 18:48   #766
Team-BHP Support

I would still prefer Garmin. More so because, thats what they do best.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:24   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Oh, thats an interesting point the MMI representative "forgot" to mention.
Actually I wrote a mail to MMI a short while ago to get this clarified, and they wrote back saying :

Kindly note that Blaupunkt Travel Pilot Lucca comes with version 4 maps, Upgrade is same as other navigators. Single upgrade will cost you Rs 990, It has voice guidance. Please provide us your contact details so that we may contact you on this.

So it looks like map upgrade is supported on the lucca, but why don't they mention this in the upgrade section ? The upgrade section in their website says they support garmin but no mention of lucca.

Any reviews on the lucca, it sure looks like a VFM proposition ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 30th April 2010 at 19:26.
Old 30th April 2010, 22:09   #768
evo
BHPian

@sdp1975

Yup, it does to me atleast.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:08   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
... upgrade from Blaupunkt itself, can't upgrade directly from MMI.
Are you sure? Blau units don't impose such dependency usually - it is pretty much straightforward like with any PND. Map updates are data updates, not code upgrades.

Edit: Sorry, hadn't seen your "update" till I posted!
Very few companies update their web pages or sensibly list all compatible hardware that their package will run on. Don't count on web pages to give you complete info.

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st May 2010 at 11:11.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:13   #770
Senior - BHPian

MMI Free Upgrade to 4.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I agree with bigman.
Also, MMI offered a free upgrade recently. I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 free of cost. So, "expensive upgrades" is the myth here.
Hi. I had upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 free of cost. Which was quite a big upgrade, and included the new Worli sea link in Mumbai. But when did they offer the free upgrade for 4.1? When I checked their website, it still only offers free upgrade to 4.0
Old 1st May 2010, 12:21   #771
evo
BHPian

@mdsaab: How has your experience been with MMI?
Old 1st May 2010, 14:35   #772
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will order a SatNav card towards the end of May. Any ideas here. One point one of the members bought the maps for 1425 or something like that, since he asked for a 2GB card. Any ideas as to the advantage of a 2GB card. Is it not that the unit can take up to four cards.
The unit can take only one card. I went only for the 1gb card. I've not stored anything else in the card. Didn't find the need too. Using the PND only for navigation and tracking. Not as a photo viewer. Anyway, there's around 800 mb free space in the card.
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:42   #773
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Lucca 3.5 for the last 3-4 days. I actually ordered the MMI Road Pilot, the cheapest model for Rs 8000/- but they shipped me the Lucca (which is for Rs 14,000/-) as the Road Pilot was not in stock.

Detailed review after some time, and I am a complete novice at this kind of technology. So far have tried it in NCR and its pretty accurate and fast. Have tracked my route on Google Earth with the .kml files once and seems ok.

Quote:
Any reviews on the lucca, it sure looks like a VFM proposition ?
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:35   #774
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Can one of the MMI user tell me what route it suggests from Chiplun to Pune? Satnav suggested me a state highway that didn't exists.

Have a look at this thread for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1819780
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:44   #775
Senior - BHPian

Garmin Nuvi 215T with Satnav maps

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I bought a Garmin Nuvi 215T device in chennai with one year replacement warranty that comes with preloaded India maps of 628cities. What I found in the box is as follows, I'm yet to dicover the device fully hence further information of the maps quality etc. What I have found till now is that when the person in shop shows me search of postal codes in the demo device, but the one I have didn't have the option to search postal codes.

I have just updated all the softwares and maps from Garmin website but still no luck, since it is sunday I'm going to call the seller tomorrow. The maps that is preloaded in Garmin claims to be Satnav

I also bought additional Dash board Friction mount(see the pic) for Garmin Device holder along with the device.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-img_0011.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 2nd May 2010 at 12:49.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:04   #776
Team-BHP Support

That is not possible. Garmin should not come with any maps, unless there is a deal on the product to have maps accompied. And in all cases these maps should be US ones. Satguide (Satnav) maps have to bought separately.

It may be good if its really true. Since you bought it in India, curios to know if Garmin has a tie-up with Satguide and is selling pre-loaded Satguide maps through their own dealers.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:47   #777
Senior - BHPian

trammway, how much did you pay for all that ?
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:41   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is not possible. Garmin should not come with any maps, unless there is a deal on the product to have maps accompied. And in all cases these maps should be US ones. Satguide (Satnav) maps have to bought separately.

It may be good if its really true. Since you bought it in India, curios to know if Garmin has a tie-up with Satguide and is selling pre-loaded Satguide maps through their own dealers.
It is true and most important thing is that, Garmin gives free updates and no need to buy any subscription such as MMI kind.

I'm yet to discover the postal searches and other stuffs which are missing in my device compare to the one shown in the demo. As today is Sunday I couldn't get in touch with the vendor.

Quote:
trammway, how much did you pay for all that ?
I got the device from Elektronik Lab in chennai, they are the distributor for wide range of satellite products that aids mariners. Here is their link: GARMIN nuvi 215, GPS, Car Navigation, Car tracking

I got the device in special offer and got it for Rs. 12,600/- (with maps and all free updates)friction mount extra
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:19   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
It is true and most important thing is that, Garmin gives free updates and no need to buy any subscription such as MMI kind.
Sounds like Garmin has tied up with MMI recently to provide their maps on the units they are selling in India. Last I checked with a Garmin dealer in Bangalore was 2 months back and he clearly said that Garmin has no tie-up with MMI or SatNav!
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:41   #780
evo
BHPian

Just ordered the TravelPilot Lucca from MMI`s website. Lets see how fast they deliver.

Most Viewed