Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 19:56   #916
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
has anyone tried using opens source map data from the openstreetmap project? For garmin devices, dowloadable map extracts are available here
Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap
The osm data is user contributed, so may not be comprehensive, but theres some very good coverage for southern india, and good city data for bangalore and chennai where all new flyovers and oneways are already in.
Based on the site, just installed the maps in Mapsource. Looks pretty impressive. But not sure how comprehensive this is. But initial impressions look very good.
The routes may be updated, but POI would still lack.

Atleast it updates the NH207 correctly. Picture from Mapsource attached.

Mods, please merge the back-to-back posts. I could not merge them. I did not know how to upload pictures in a edit mode.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-osm_nh207.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2010 at 16:58.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:13   #917
BANNED

Just ordered a SatNav for the Garmin 265WT expected to come in through a friend from the US soon. Had some problem with the SatNav site so called them up. Ms Shalini Gomatam was very friendly and helpful. Ordered a Micro SD with a SD Adapter.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:57   #918
Team-BHP Support

I had ordered Garmin 260W via 20North on April 29th, it arrived on May 17th, 4 days later than promised, may be because I am in a village. They basically ordered it from Amazon.com to an US address and then re-shipped it to me, in that same Amazon.com box.

Yesterday I ordered the SatGuide map for Garmin for the same. Will I get SD card or microSD in an adopter? They didn't say anything about that. I have told them it is 260W and need SD card.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:10   #919
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had ordered Garmin 260W via 20North on April 29th, it arrived on May 17th, 4 days later than promised, may be because I am in a village. They basically ordered it from Amazon.com to an US address and then re-shipped it to me, in that same Amazon.com box.

Yesterday I ordered the SatGuide map for Garmin for the same. Will I get SD card or microSD in an adopter? They didn't say anything about that. I have told them it is 260W and need SD card.
Normally for a garmin device with an SD card slot, Satnav people are supposed to send the map in SD card. However, by mistake they sent me in micro-sd. When I pointed that to them, they immediately sent an SD card adapter the very next day! So I'm very happy because, I can use this in a gps enabled mobile as well I guess. Waiting for the Nokia c6 to buy and test!

Manipal can not be considered a village in any sense sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just ordered a SatNav for the Garmin 265WT expected to come in through a friend from the US soon. Had some problem with the SatNav site so called them up. Ms Shalini Gomatam was very friendly and helpful. Ordered a Micro SD with a SD Adapter.
Congrats sir! Shalini Gomatam and Raja Tokala are so professional, friendly and helpful. I mailed Raja Tokala that within a couple of months of me buying their map, there's an update. Within minutes he provided me a download link for a free upgrade.

Way to go Satguide and Garmin!
Old 18th May 2010, 17:16   #920
BHPian

Quote:
I had ordered Garmin 260W via 20North on April 29th, it arrived on May 17th, 4 days later than promised
When buying from 20 north, did you opt for duty free option, or did you pay the duty.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:16   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had ordered Garmin 260W via 20North on April 29th, it arrived on May 17th, 4 days later than promised, may be because I am in a village. ...
Where do you intend to use it? Regular road use or for OTR's also?
Old 18th May 2010, 17:20   #922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So I'm very happy because, I can use this in a gps enabled mobile as well I guess. Waiting for the Nokia c6 to buy and test!
Garmin format may not work for Symbian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Manipal can not be considered a village in any sense sir!
Try to shop for anything other than food, you'll know. Besides, my office is little outside of Manipal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
When buying from 20 north, did you opt for duty free option, or did you pay the duty.
I chose the gift option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Where do you intend to use it? Regular road use or for OTR's also?
I bought it to find my way around Bangalore, and other highways. These days I travel a lot, already 2000kms in last 4 weeks, 1000 more to go by end of this month.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2010 at 17:23.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:46   #923
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai, Khan_Sultan and others of the 4x4 crowd.
I think Garmin has a model which logs data from the OBD port, along with spatial and time data. Might be useful for you all.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th May 2010, 22:52   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Garmin format may not work for Symbian
There is a application called garmin xt fopr symbian phones which uses inbulit GPS . I am using it. It really works
Old 18th May 2010, 22:55   #925
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Geeash. I knew that there are loads of applications in symbian forum and something will be there which will make it compatible!
My earlier mobile was symbian too. But didn't have a-gps. Hence I'm eagerly waiting for the C6.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:15   #926
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Good news the vendor from whom I have purchased the device sent me an email today asking me to download the latest map update, you know what it is May 2010 version with 725cities. WOW

:::ELEKTRONIKLAB:::Garmin:::Vehicles:::Handhelds:: :Marine:::Aero:::Sales in India:::
Old 19th May 2010, 00:30   #927
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shiva. Finally an updated free map for Garmin

The old map I have is all skewed in rural areas / highways.

Lets see if this one is updated.

Downloading....

Last edited by IronWolf : 19th May 2010 at 00:36.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:53   #928
BANNED

Quote:
I had ordered Garmin 260W .....

I have the Nuvi 2xx series manual (download from terh Garmin site). It says could be either SD or MicroSD, so go for the MicroSD with the adapter. This is what I did. Already shipped.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:06   #929
BHPian

GPS finally

Hi All,
Finally my 285WT arrived from the US. Picked it up from my friend last night and after overnight charging, the GPS was ready today morning. A couple of minutes in sunshine (for the PND to connect to the satellites) and post that plonked in the Satnav card that I had received last week. The PND was ready. Put in the location (as my office) and was impressed with the accurate directions to my office.
Funny part was the way the English lady's voice was pronouncing the names of the road. Totally worth it.

A big thanks to MX6 and Ampere for all their help.

Now I would need directions on how to add personal POI and also how to plot my own route and upload the same to the PND.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have the Nuvi 2xx series manual (download from terh Garmin site). It says could be either SD or MicroSD, so go for the MicroSD with the adapter. This is what I did. Already shipped.
I too did the same. Ordered the maps on a Micro SD and asked them to provide me with the SD Card adapter.

Last edited by f1fan : 19th May 2010 at 11:09.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:15   #930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@Samurai, Khan_Sultan and others of the 4x4 crowd.
I think Garmin has a model which logs data from the OBD port, along with spatial and time data. Might be useful for you all.
Jeep/Gypsies have OBD port?

Most Viewed