Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 23:10   #1531
Senior - BHPian

One can select / deselect maps under Settings -> My Data -> Map Sets.

Yes one can load more than one map on an SD card. The maps can be usually named gmapsupp and gmapprom (there are 3 more possible names, but unfortunately I am not able to recollect at this moment).
Old 5th December 2010, 23:25   #1532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
One can select / deselect maps under Settings -> My Data -> Map Sets.

Yes one can load more than one map on an SD card. The maps can be usually named gmapsupp and gmapprom (there are 3 more possible names, but unfortunately I am not able to recollect at this moment).
That was exactly my doubt. I could find, how to select the map. But I was not sure, when the map and its unl has to be copied to SD card, where it should be copied and what should it be named?

There is one Garmin directory where map 1 + unl would already be there. So where should one put the second map.

(Just for example, lets say if I want to have both Satguide and MMI in the same SD card, how it should be done?)
Old 8th December 2010, 21:55   #1533
Team-BHP Support

re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

An amazing thing happened yesterday. Not sure if you any of you experienced this.

Yesterday I got a mail from Satguide, asking for filling a survey. Questions were pretty practical. E.g. why should one buy GPS in India, when he/she can ask a Paanwaala! (Yes the word used was Paanwaala)

The carrot was they used was: if I fill the survey, they would give a Satguide map update free or 1000/- discount for a new PND.

I dully filled the survey and submitted. Today morning at 9 I sent them a mail, asking where was my free bee (I wanted a Map upgrade). Within 10 minutes, came a response asking me for my key and device. I sent the details and within another 10 minutes, I had the link to an update.

Nice; a 500/- free-bee for a survey! I was impressed. Since I had the 400 city map, what I got was the 800 city map!
Old 9th December 2010, 05:22   #1534
BHPian

re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

posted this in the android thread but reposting here - google maps will now offer offline capability and 3D vector maps. Exciting times :-)
Old 9th December 2010, 09:35   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
An amazing thing happened yesterday. Not sure if you any of you experienced this.

Yesterday I got a mail from Satguide, asking for filling a survey. Questions were pretty practical. E.g. why should one buy GPS in India, when he/she can ask a Paanwaala! (Yes the word used was Paanwaala)

The carrot was they used was: if I fill the survey, they would give a Satguide map update free or 1000/- discount for a new PND.

I dully filled the survey and submitted. Today morning at 9 I sent them a mail, asking where was my free bee (I wanted a Map upgrade). Within 10 minutes, came a response asking me for my key and device. I sent the details and within another 10 minutes, I had the link to an update.

Nice; a 500/- free-bee for a survey! I was impressed. Since I had the 400 city map, what I got was the 800 city map!
Oh Thanks, so I have to send them an email requesting for a free map upgrade?

Well, I did fill out the questionnaire and was wondering how will I get the free upgrade

Thanks for the info!!
Old 10th December 2010, 13:25   #1536

End of Garmin support?

Been meaning to post my thoughts on this for a few days, and hear from your folks.

I've been using MapMyIndia maps on my Garmin device for the last couple of years, and have been happy with their maps. Their maps have helped me drive around almost independently, without asking good passer-bys for help. MMI customer support too is good, indeed.

After MMI upgraded to v 5.1, I checked out the maps on a friend's MMI device recently. The House Map Data are excellent for Delhi and Bangalore.

But, when I spoke to the customer care, I realized much to my surprise that House Map Data are not available for Garmin devices, and they have no plans of upgrading the Garmin maps to House Map levels.

I'm sure MMI folks have their reasons, but this might be the end of the road for MMI-Garmin partnership. It was good while it lasted. If you lookup the MMI website, they no longer sell Garmin devices, although they still sell maps.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:53   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks for the info...Completed the survey, sent an email to Satguide and received the OCT-2010 OneIndia map upgrade for free...
Old 10th December 2010, 14:07   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT but, subject being the same.

A friend of mine heads the India region for Tom Tom and they are doing a survey of their maps in India and i received an invitation to be part of this survey

Filled and submitted the survey to them and if i am selected they will send me a Tom Tom device and maps for me to use and report them with regular feedback as a user.

I am hoping i will be selected due to :

a) Reference of a senior Tom Tom employee
b) I was part of this industry for a while in the past however, the water navigation business and not much of land mapping though

Keeping my fingers crossed for a FREE device and maps
Old 10th December 2010, 14:35   #1539
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to know that Tom Tom is going to be active in India. They seem to be number-one provider in UK.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:38   #1540
BHPian

Any idea when will TomTom start providing India maps for existing devices? I have a TomTom GO 650 device I bought in the US, but am unable to find India maps for the same.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:51   #1541
BHPian

SatNav Vs Mapmyindia ( LACS Magnum Touch Media Device )

Hi,

I would like to share some information of my new Personal Navigation Device, Lacs Magnum.Actually its a pocket PC comes with a couple of useful utilities.Navigation is a part of its function.I was looking for a GPS unit for my car and few of our forum mates posted some comments about this device earlier.Luckily I got a promo offer from a dealer and now I added that small gadget into my car.

Its a WinCE Based touch screen device. Other than Navigation it can play audio/video/picture files and coupled with a Blue tooth hands free and a FM transmitter.
It will read / compose Word/Exel/Powerpoint/pdf files too and can browse the internet via a paired cellphones' gprs.

Device Start-up time : 5 Seconds
Best Video Screen Resolution : 480 * 272
GPS Capture Delay : 3 to 5 min maximum
Storage : 2 GB Int. flash memory and 8 GB ext MicroSD card
External Headphone Jack : Yes
External Speaker : Yes
Battery backup : 3 hours with Navigation + Blue tooth mode ON

In the Navigation side, magnum comes with LACS own map,but its not so user-friendly and their POI is not rich.Hence I installed MapmyIndia map V5.0 . Everybody know MMI maps are very excellent for Indian routes. I am glad with the performance and usage of this small gadget.

I will post some pics for you...cheers

Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dscn3086.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dscn3088.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dscn3116.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dscn3118.jpg  

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dscn3102.jpg  

Old 10th December 2010, 16:33   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a Garmin Nuvi 265W off 20north ? Its listed for 6494 rupees (if bought as a gift). Amazon retails it for around $99.
I searched around the forum and found that people are not entirely happy with 20North, with respect to their shipping speed etc.
Has anybody bought a GPS PND from them ?
Old 10th December 2010, 17:11   #1543
BHPian

@ Maneesh...Clean Install.. but inside RVM disappeared?
Old 10th December 2010, 19:05   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Slightly OT but, subject being the same.

A friend of mine heads the India region for Tom Tom and they are doing a survey of their maps in India and i received an invitation to be part of this survey

Filled and submitted the survey to them and if i am selected they will send me a Tom Tom device and maps for me to use and report them with regular feedback as a user.

I am hoping i will be selected due to :

a) Reference of a senior Tom Tom employee
b) I was part of this industry for a while in the past however, the water navigation business and not much of land mapping though

Keeping my fingers crossed for a FREE device and maps

Wow, good to hear about this and wish you the best! In case they reward people for Tomtoming about their product, then please ask them to get in touch with me --I volunteer
Old 10th December 2010, 22:40   #1545
BHPian

@ Digital Vampire..

Thx for your comment. I put a curtain on my rear glass,hence i cant use that interior RVM for its purpose.So i removed it for an easy installation.Although i can re insert it anytime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks