Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 08:04   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys, posting a simple query... looking for a simple answer-

I bought a new car & planning to add a GPS device to it, for navigation. Budget is max 12k. It needs to have good coverage, good screen & voice guided direcions. Also, I need the screen to have reverse camera compatibility.

So, which one should i opt for?
Old 20th January 2011, 10:09   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
...bought a Satguide map. But nowadays the map simply goes off.. it will be showing the route of highway/city and suddenly shows i am going nowhere...
So I am not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I have a Nuvi 760 + Satguide August ~28, 2010 India map. ...
Felt like screen was not refreshing and map was not advancing....
Let me know how you resolved this. This did not happen with the navteq India 2009 v3 map which I was using prior to Satguide map. I think Satguide has tested their software only with newer Nuvis while older ones like 760 are not tested.

-BJ
Old 20th January 2011, 21:49   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, posting a simple query... looking for a simple answer-

I bought a new car & planning to add a GPS device to it, for navigation. Budget is max 12k. It needs to have good coverage, good screen & voice guided direcions. Also, I need the screen to have reverse camera compatibility.

So, which one should i opt for?
Guys, no replies to this???
Old 20th January 2011, 22:49   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think a branded model (Garmin etc.) would be available for that budget; maybe you should look at dealextreme.com, they will deliver in India with free shipping:
https://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.413

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 20th January 2011 at 22:51.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:35   #1640
BANNED

A Garmin 265WT costs about $100 in the US with a pouch and a Friction Mount. SatGuide maps are Rs.990. a Micro ti full SD adapter is Rs.40-60. There are many sources of importing Stuff from the US, incl. ebay and 20North, amongst others.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:33   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
There is a free navigation software that can be used on your smart phone. It is user created. I have not used it yet but you can check it out.

Heres the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...martphone.html
Old 21st January 2011, 11:08   #1642
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

since I believe you will be driving this vehicle primarily in bombay and environs and I guess you will be using the gps device primarily in India, I dont think you can go far wrong if you buy Map My India.
Currently they are the best.
The MMI Navigator with the latest maps which even feature last mile navigation in the bigger cities is yours at Rs 7990/-
I think this is a very good deal. I also understand MMI to be better than SatGuide in terms of quality, accuracy and completeness of the maps.
In case you intend travelling abroad and driving there, you can buy the latest set of Europe and US maps from MMI at an additional Rs 3500 or so.
Quote:
Old 21st January 2011, 11:10   #1643
BANNED

i have garmin and am using MMI maps without any problem so far.
I am interested in the Garmin maps - wonder where they are available for purchase. Im sure they will be good.
OK i found this on the net just now - so editing my post:
check this link
looks like GARMIN MAPS are available for India at a 100 USD rate.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...217&pvID=66652
This is cheaper than MMI maps for Garmin - which cost approx 7500/-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
I have the same problem.
Also I heard Garmin has come up with their own maps and it can bought and costs some 3500. Anyone tried that ?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st January 2011 at 11:16.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:56   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am interested in the Garmin maps - wonder where they are available for purchase. Im sure they will be good...
I have the 2009 q4 version of this map. Definitely route calculation and screen refresh is faster compared to August 2010 Satguide map on my Garmin Nuvi 760. Not sure is it because of a smaller database in the former and unlike the latter I do not face map refresh/freezing issue with this map. However, the coverage in some areas like Daman, that I tested, was not so good. Pune city is nicely covered (barring typos in POIs). Will wait for 2011 edition of Garmin India map before plonking 100 USD.

-BJ
Old 21st January 2011, 12:04   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i have garmin and am using MMI maps without any problem so far.
I am interested in the Garmin maps - wonder where they are available for purchase. Im sure they will be good.
OK i found this on the net just now - so editing my post:
check this link
looks like GARMIN MAPS are available for India at a 100 USD rate.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...217&pvID=66652
This is cheaper than MMI maps for Garmin - which cost approx 7500/-!
Any such option to load India maps for TomTom GPS devices?
Old 21st January 2011, 19:58   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean I will have to buy the MMI device & buy the maps separately? Doesn't it come with the package?
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:20   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A Garmin 265WT costs about $100 in the US with a pouch and a Friction Mount. SatGuide maps are Rs.990. a Micro ti full SD adapter is Rs.40-60. There are many sources of importing Stuff from the US, incl. ebay and 20North, amongst others.
Correction---the Garmin 265WT with pouch costs 115 USD at Costco. The friction mount costs 20 USD on Amazon, but I bought the newer version for 25 USD.

I've used my unit in all my trips to New York, Philadelphia, etc and it was pretty accurate in its estimates of speed, distance and time.

The only issue I encountered was that after downloading the free update a couple of weeks ago, some of the saved destinations are now showing up in half-Chinese alphabets. For example, '206 Videere Drive' is now showing up as 206 Vid*&$ Dr#$%'

But this is not happening to new destinations saved after the update! I am not sure if this is due to the update or due to Hu Jintao's visit to the White House nearby
Old 22nd January 2011, 02:54   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
There is a free navigation software that can be used on your smart phone. It is user created. I have not used it yet but you can check it out.

Heres the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...martphone.html
I'm using it on my Ipad & iPhone while traveling and it is wonderful. And Free
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:50   #1649
BANNED

MMI Navigator device costs 7990 and comes pre-loaded with all india maps of the latest version - updated in June 2010. (version 5 I think)
check with them you may just get the absolutely latest version (version 6 maybe) because they update once in 6 months.

Quote:
Does that mean I will have to buy the MMI device & buy the maps separately? Doesn't it come with the package?
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:52   #1650
BANNED

while tomtom is considered amongst the best, most user friendly interfaces - at least in the UK, I dont think at the moment there are maps available for India which can interface with the tomtom device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Any such option to load India maps for TomTom GPS devices?

Most Viewed