Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 13:22   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Thanks NetfreakBombay . I had already contacted Satguide's support though, and downloaded their latest version.
The size matches. So I guess its a typo.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:24   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Last weekend I moved to Garmin City Navigator India 2011 maps on my nuvi 2300 unit.
These maps are quite detailed. Using these for last couple of weeks. Finally Navteq/Garmin is equivalent to MMI/Satguide in terms of coverage.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:50   #1968
BHPian

Fellow Navigators... Which is the cheapest Nokia Phone to provide life time free Maps Services? And can they be used without connecting to the internet?
Old 9th May 2011, 17:42   #1969
BHPian

E52 is around OR 70 here. Basical, you can download the map to the phone using Ovi suite. So no need of internet connection while navigating. Check out the nokia website to know which all models provide free navigation.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:36   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
E52 is around OR 70 here. Basical, you can download the map to the phone using Ovi suite. So no need of internet connection while navigating. Check out the nokia website to know which all models provide free navigation.
Hmm.. I was thinking of the E-5. Any first hand reviews guys?

By going through the posts on this thread, it seems like Ovi Maps are Navteq maps and are the best ones available.. I would be using the GPS navigation very sparingly and looking for a all in one kinda device, like a mobile phone.

So shortlisted the Nokia E-5 and the LG Optimus 1, now both of them have different maps, one is Ovi and other uses Google maps. Which one is a better option? And can we get google maps navigation offline as well, without a data connection??
Old 10th May 2011, 22:31   #1971
BHPian

Here is a detailed review of E5 at GSM Areana.

There are a number of discussions on google maps and navigation on this forum.
Old 10th May 2011, 23:38   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
These maps are quite detailed. Using these for last couple of weeks. Finally Navteq/Garmin is equivalent to MMI/Satguide in terms of coverage.
Well i am having doubts about how to upgrade the maps on my nuvi to the latest 2011 maps.. Can anyone help or guide how they upgraded theirs ?
Old 10th May 2011, 23:54   #1973
Senior - BHPian

If you have free upgrades remaining just visit my.garmin.com and have the unit connected to PC via USB. Maps would be updates via the site. Site downloads and installs an Activex control for this.

Alternatively, you can call Garmin customer care to get a link to download and replace .img file manually.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:12   #1974
BHPian

I've almost finalized getting a nuvi 265W from amazon @ $120. Is this a good deal or should I get a better model. This one is an old but popular model and appears to suffice all requirements. But since I am not used to a GPS I may be overlooking some requirements because of lack of knowledge.

Is there a better model which I can opt for? What would be the added features that I should look out for?

Also, does the suction cup provided with the model work well or is the friction mount preferred?
Old 18th May 2011, 10:22   #1975
Senior - BHPian

265W is good enough for India. Forget about other features like traffic updates, bluetooth and all that.

The suction cup works - most of the times, that is. Just remember to clean the surface that sticks to the glass by blowing on the surface and cleaning with a cloth (just like one does for specs). Friction mount is really good, though.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:33   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Is there a better model which I can opt for? What would be the added features that I should look out for?

Also, does the suction cup provided with the model work well or is the friction mount preferred?
This model works just fine. Only features that it lacks are:

1. Ability to stream voice instructions via a bluetooth enabled HU. With that, music is paused and instructions are played on HU.
2. Junction view (E.g.: )

But these are "Nice to have", and would bump up the cost significantly.

And do get friction mount. IMHO its better then suction mounts.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:44   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This model works just fine. Only features that it lacks are:

2. Junction view

But these are "Nice to have", and would bump up the cost significantly.
Does junction view work in India, especially in Mumbai? I don't mind going up to 150-170 bucks if it works and is worth it.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:09   #1978
Senior - BHPian

It does. But you might have to bump up the cost beyond 200 to get Junction view, lane assist (+ reasonable CPU/RAM).
Old 18th May 2011, 13:01   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
After playing around with Open Street Maps for a few days, I finally ordered Garmin maps from Satguide today.
sajo (and others!), I am looking to buy a decent GPS unit that provides the most recent maps possible. Sorry for being a bit basic, but I would appreciate any info on the recommended units & how to go about this in an efficient manner.
I already have an iPhone 4 so my initial expectations from this unit would be for support in areas where my GPRS wont be active (for eg Konkan), though I would also subsequently reduce my usage of the iPhone in urban areas for this purpose
TIA
Old 18th May 2011, 13:20   #1980
Senior - BHPian

You can buy MapMyIndia/Satguide/Garmin (and other) software for iPhone 4 itself. Your cell already has a decent sized screen and you can install software that would work wihtout GPRs / 3G. This software would keep map data (approx 250 MB) on phone itself, so GRPS would not be required.

Cost would be 2 - 4k.

Otherwise, its best to buy a Garmin unit from India for 7-8k that would come with latest maps and free upgrades for a year.

Most Viewed