Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:23   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Have Satguide stopped update for Garmin?
Last update was in Feb 2011. Next one would be in August/September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Garmin site lists City Navigator for India priced at $100.
Here is the link https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=65217
+1, you can buy it online from that link or you can call Garmin India distributors listed @ Garmin India
Old 25th May 2011, 11:22   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

After getting solutions to my previous questions, I am now interested in seeing if I can get a GPS navigator that comes bundled with a reverse camera/ sensors?
Does this work well and if yes, which one would you recommend?
I appreciate any info on how to obtain it too
Old 25th May 2011, 21:31   #2028
Team-BHP Support

Question for Non-Garmin devices.

Can you load a track-log borrowed from some else and see those tracks overlayed on the map? Because I think thats not possible in Garmin. (Its only possible as long as Garmin has archived it). But a log uploaded from outside to the device cannot be viewed. How is it for other devices?
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:57   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not like that. TANSTAFL, as Milton Keynes had explained. Garmin as a company would have had to pay for the services / products of another company - why would Navteq give anything for free to Garmin?
Milton Freidman and John Keynes were two different economists with two different ideologies. I think you're referring to Milton Freidman here though.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:05   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Milton Freidman and John Keynes were two different economists with two different ideologies. I think you're referring to Milton Freidman here though.
@DerAlte; perhaps you have the place Milton Keynes (UK) on your mind when you typed this?
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:39   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Milton Freidman and John Keynes ... you're referring to Milton Freidman here though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
... Milton Keynes (UK) on your mind ...
Thank you kindly, gentlemen, for making me realize the extent of my senility! Yes, Milton Friedman it is - he popularized it when he used it as the title of his 1975 book, though the phrase has existed much longer than that. I always manage to confusingly combine the Friedman's usage with Keynesian economics to get Milton Keynes!!! Usually I had managed to correct myself in time in the past, alas old age is catching up.
Old 13th June 2011, 17:09   #2032
Senior - BHPian

SatGuide/MMI maps for Garmin PNDs

Guys,

FYI - SatGuide maps for Garmin are now INR 1,146. On the other hand, MMI maps for Garmin are available at INR 4,990 for a limited period. Interesting!!
Old 13th June 2011, 17:27   #2033
BHPian

With the original Garmin maps for India available for around USD 99(~ INR 4600), I dont think MMI has much options other than to extend thier "limited period sales"
Old 13th June 2011, 17:54   #2034
Senior - BHPian

I have tried 2011 Garmin India maps & MMI v6.0 on my Garmin 2300 unit. Here is a very brief comparison, considering all the driving has been in South Bangalore. A score of 100 is perfect.

1) Names of street & POIs
Garmin: 70/100
MMI: 80/100
If either of them have to go closer to 100, they have to support daily/weekly incremental updates of maps.
eg: A hotel closed down near my home. It will take sometime to get that info into my GPS unit.

2) Routing
Garmin: 80/100
MMI: 70/100
For shortest distance option, in general, Garmin usually gives the most straight route. MMI gives wider roads and routes via commercial areas, usually the road taken by buses.

Please add if you find any other difference.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:00   #2035
BHPian

T-Bhpians,

I have a Garmin Nuvi 205W with a Satguide map. I have been using it for the last 2 months and off late I have noticed a strange issue with it.

The issue is that at times when I'm driving on an NH or some major road the Car is not shown as moving along the road but is lost somewhere. The GPS works fine and the info like direction and speed and all is shown but the Car is always off road and at some point of time the Car gets back on road

Has anyone faced a similar issue? I have a gut feeling that it is an issue with the map? Any pointers would be of great help.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:10   #2036
Team-BHP Support

That may be because the map carto-graphed in Satguide may not be the right track contour, which the road is. Typical example is a by-pass on the GQ. Many times regular roads also show a different location. But this happens at some places where details may not be right. But if it happens all the times, we need to re-look.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 18:40   #2037
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
MMI gives wider roads and routes via commercial areas, usually the road taken by buses.
My MMI Lx130 navigator has three options in route type: Fastest [default], Shortest and Optimal. I have retained the default fastest option.

Old 14th June 2011, 19:26   #2038
BHPian

I recently bought a Garmin nuvi 1370T overseas and bought maps here. The unit was working OK for couple of weeks. Then it shut down while driving and that too on adequate battery charge. This has recurred quite a few times. I have registered a complaint with Garmin and waiting for a feedback.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:25   #2039
BANNED

@Der_Junge; Something fishy with the unit/car adapter. If some friend has a Blackberrry try out the charging using the BB power adapter, and also connect the power unit to the BB to see if it delivers the juice. This way you will know where is teh bug. Why a BB, the connector is the same! I have changed my 265 using the BB charger in the past. Most of us with Garmin's bought the unit abroad, and put in local maps (MMI or SatNav). I have had mice for over a year. No issues.
Old 15th June 2011, 13:01   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have tried 2011 Garmin India maps & MMI v6.0 on my Garmin 2300 unit.
Thanks for the detailed comparison. Where/how can you get Garmin India maps and how much do they cost? Also, how is the NH/SH coverage (since I use my GPS mostly on highway hauls)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
I have a gut feeling that it is an issue with the map? Any pointers would be of great help.
I have also had similar experiences with my 205w/SatGuide combo and it is indeed an issue with the maps (not being charted accurately). That is something you have to bear with given that these maps cost about 1/8th the price of the nearest competitor

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th June 2011 at 13:02.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed