Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 20:26   #2041
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Der_Junge; Something fishy with the unit/car adapter. I have had mine for over a year. No issues.
Thanks sir. To check out charging issues in the car, I charged the unit completely in my computer - max charge all 4 bars.

Then I fixed the unit in that car WITHOUT connecting the charger cable and switched ON. Well it switched ON, acquired satellites and started working normally. After less than 5 minutes the unit shut down completely. It did not restart at all. Well on full charge it should work for more than 5 minutes right ?

After several hours - may 7 or 8 hours later, it started only after conecting to a power source. The battery level was zero.

The software is already updated.

I am not sure if it is a simple software glitch. I hope Garmin will respond to my email.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:07   #2042
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Junge View Post
Then I fixed the unit in that car WITHOUT connecting the charger cable and switched ON. Well it switched ON, acquired satellites and started working normally. After less than 5 minutes the unit shut down completely. It did not restart at all. Well on full charge it should work for more than 5 minutes right ?

After several hours - may 7 or 8 hours later, it started only after conecting to a power source. The battery level was zero.
Sounds like either excessive power drain, or a battery which is not holding a charge. Most likely the latter.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:31   #2043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Junge View Post
Thanks sir. To check out charging issues in the car, I charged the unit completely in my computer - max charge all 4 bars.

The software is already updated.

I am not sure if it is a simple software glitch. I hope Garmin will respond to my email.
i dont know how this would help, since my unit's not a garmin.
I have a MMI vx140, and it had the same problem as yours initially.
then it prgressed to not working AT ALL(didnt switchon/no twinkly red light while charging even).
MMI replaced the unit, saying the battery has gone kaput.
some questions they asked mught indicate a cause-
1-)did you leave it out in the sun constantly for extended periods.(maybe i did).
2-)did it get knocked about/dropped a lot(not dropped, but it was in the boot for some time, and knocking about,vigorously,may have happened.)

EOD, it was the battery's fault, MMI replaced whole unit free of cost.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:49   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That may be because the map carto-graphed in Satguide may not be the right track contour, which the road is. Typical example is a by-pass on the GQ. Many times regular roads also show a different location. But this happens at some places where details may not be right. But if it happens all the times, we need to re-look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have also had similar experiences with my 205w/SatGuide combo and it is indeed an issue with the maps (not being charted accurately). That is something you have to bear with given that these maps cost about 1/8th the price of the nearest competitor
I too suspect the Map. My friend too uses the same combo probably I'll check with him to see if we could swap the Micro SD card containing the Map for my next long drive
Old 16th June 2011, 12:00   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My MMI Lx130 navigator has three options in route type: Fastest [default], Shortest and Optimal. I have retained the default fastest option.
I usual settings is 'Shortest' since that closely matches the regular routes I take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks for the detailed comparison. Where/how can you get Garmin India maps and how much do they cost? Also, how is the NH/SH coverage (since I use my GPS mostly on highway hauls)?
My comparison was very brief, based on using Garmin maps for 3 weeks & MMI for 3 weeks. I have used only in city. So no experience on NH/SH. I would suggest MMI since between Garmin & MMI, MMI claim more coverage in terms of number of cities, towns. Garmin maps are available with local dealer. MMI can be downloaded online.

About re routing in MMI: MMI maps the 1st route correctly. But while re routing it tries to route thru' alleys, small roads (if there are any) which I know for sure that a car can't go.
eg: While going from Lalbagh West Gate to BTM Layout, MMI routes via Diary Circle. But if I turn towards Jayanagar via Siddapura, MMI tries to reroute via by lanes of Siddapura, where a car can't go. This is very misleading. I have not seen this in Garmin maps.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:44   #2046
Senior - BHPian

There should be a setting about which type of roads to avoid. Usually 'type of road' is represented by a number - the higher the number the smaller the road. If you can set the avoidance setting, the software will then try to route you via higher type of road.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:01   #2047
Senior - BHPian

These are the avoidances in my unit (text copied from Garmin site):
Quote:
U-Turns – If U-Turns is ticked the device will avoid taking you on a route that requires a u-turn.

Motorways – If Motorways is ticked the device will avoid highways, motorways and major roads.

Toll Roads – If Toll Roads is ticked the device will avoid toll roads and congestion zones.

Traffic – If you have a traffic receiver connected and you are receiving traffic signal and Traffic is ticked the device will route you around traffic problems if a quicker route is available.

Ferries – If Ferries is ticked the device will avoid taking you on a route that requires a ferry crossing.

Car-Share Lanes – If Car-Share Lanes is ticked the device will avoid taking you on a route which includes lanes that have been provided for car sharers.

Unpaved Roads – If Unpaved Roads is ticked the device will avoid taking you on unpaved roads.

Major Roads – If Major Roads is ticked the device will avoid routes that include highways, motorways and major roads.

Highways – If Highways is ticked the device will avoid routes that include highways, motorways and major roads.

Carpool Lanes – If Carpool Lanes is ticked the device will avoid taking you on a route which includes lanes that have been provides for car sharers.
I have avoided U-Turns & Unpaved Roads. But MMI routing is same.
Old 17th June 2011, 19:50   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sounds like either excessive power drain, or a battery which is not holding a charge. Most likely the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
EOD, it was the battery's fault, MMI replaced whole unit free of cost.
Hi, Garmin emailed me yesterday to do a master reset and update software. After doing both the unit is working OK. Ofcourse I lost the favourites but I will like to observe the performance for a few more days.

The lesson to me is - think twice before buying such gadgets and if you do decide to buy - better to buy in Hindustan.
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:18   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Q:
To all gadget gurus here...

Any suggestions for a good stand alone and simple GPS system ?

- Should be easy to use.
- Reasonably accurate maps of major cities & towns in India, besides of course major and minor highways.
- Should have voice guided assist.
- Not looking for any fancy additional features like blue/yellow/decayed tooth etc.
- Suction fixed on the dash or windscreen and running off the power outlet.
- Price range - Max 10 K INR.

So a plain and simple device.

Was seriously contemplating the MMI device suggested by dkaile but dropped it thanks to the costs involved and other issues.

Await your advice.

Last edited by Guderian : 22nd June 2011 at 20:30.
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:20   #2050
BHPian

IMO, you can't beat the comprehensiveness of MMI maps in India. They have smaller devices that can fit in your budget. Check these out --

VX140s Navigator GPS Car Navigation System By MapmyIndia | Turn By Turn Directions & Maps
MapmyIndia Navigator RoadPilot For GPS Navigation | Maps
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:48   #2051
BHPian

@Guderian

Wow! This is the best ownership thread. Love your writing accompanied by great pictures too.

MapMyIndia gives you the best maps, go for an entry level navigator which would be available between 8-13k.

If you want to spend some more on your awesome T-Fort, go in for navigator integrated into the entertainment system. This would not have dangling wires. And Admiral would love you for it.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:54   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Q:
To all gadget gurus here...

Any suggestions for a good stand alone and simple GPS system ?

- Should be easy to use.
- Reasonably accurate maps of major cities & towns in India, besides of course major and minor highways.
- Should have voice guided assist.
- Not looking for any fancy additional features like blue/yellow/decayed tooth etc.
- Suction fixed on the dash or windscreen and running off the power outlet.
- Price range - Max 10 K INR.

So a plain and simple device.

Was seriously contemplating the MMI device suggested by dkaile but dropped it thanks to the costs involved and other issues.

Await your advice.
To be very frank, the need for a 24x7 dedicated GPS device is essentially not there in India, due to our friendly neighborhood guys (rolling down the window and asking iska rasta kidhar se hai, rarely let me down). For occasional GPS navigation, I use my Android phone and it works pretty well while navigating to say some out of the way place in Delhi (where it has come to my rescue twice or thrice in the last 2 years while searching some banquet hall for a wedding; that's all). There is default Google maps built in or also lots of offline dedicated GPS softwares available for android which give turn by turn voice guided navigation also. So it would be better if you upgrade your phone which would serve a dual purpose and fulfill your GPS navigation needs...

I have attached some snapshots; It is easily mountable by a cheap 100 bucks phone mount onto the dashboard; easily chargeable by power outlet; also lets you enjoy music to your car stereo (with some type of aux in or fm modulator)...
Attached Images

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd June 2011 at 23:01.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:37   #2053
Senior - BHPian

dkaile,

which android navigation app is that and what is your handset model ? How long does it take to get a GPS lock ?

Last edited by F150 : 23rd June 2011 at 07:37. Reason: spell check
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:00   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Now the dash fit one comes in at Rs.45,000/- from MMI
But then this system is fixed into your car and you cannot carry it around with you.
So it's better to go in for a PND (Personal Navigation Device)
I know you like to keep Admiral in stock form, so this is a better bet.

Now a PND is only as good as it's maps. and IMHO, Today in India the MMI maps are by far the best.

So if you do decide on MMI you have three options to choose from for your budget.

MMI Light Lx 130 ~ Do not bother with this one, older design and smaller 3.5" screen
MMi Loaded Road Pilot ~ Saves you 2K but also gives you a smaller 3.5" screen in return.
~The one to go for~
MMI Loaded Vx 140s @9,990/- fits your budget to the T. has a bigger 4.3" screen, which would suit the Admiral better. Newer design, and launched recently by MMI

Trust me, you won't regret it.
The other option is to buy a Garmin PND from the states. for around $90
then buy maps from India.
Here you can buy Satguide for Rs.999/-
or MMI which costs a whooping 7K.

So yes the Garmin with Satguide will cost you less. But then warranty could be a bit of an issue. plus you will have to stick with satguide maps. which IMHO are decent but overall MMI is still the better one to opt for.

Awaiting your response.
Please Navigate to the correct choice
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:09   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
IMO, you can't beat the comprehensiveness of MMI maps in India. They have smaller devices that can fit in your budget. Check these out --

VX140s Navigator GPS Car Navigation System By MapmyIndia | Turn By Turn Directions & Maps
MapmyIndia Navigator RoadPilot For GPS Navigation | Maps
Hi Nilesh,
Thanks for the response. Yes the VX140s seems to be the closest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
@Guderian

Wow! This is the best ownership thread. Love your writing accompanied by great pictures too.

MapMyIndia gives you the best maps, go for an entry level navigator which would be available between 8-13k.

If you want to spend some more on your awesome T-Fort, go in for navigator integrated into the entertainment system. This would not have dangling wires. And Admiral would love you for it.
Hi jk007,
Many thanks for the compliments.
I would like to keep the Admiral as stock as possible so I didn't want to pick up the integrated system. And hence the drive for a standalone piece of hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
To be very frank, the need for a 24x7 dedicated GPS device is essentially not there in India, due to our friendly neighborhood guys (rolling down the window and asking iska rasta kidhar se hai, rarely let me down).
Hi dkaile, Thanks for the details.
For some reason - been in my mind to get a stand alone GPS hardware. Tried the Google maps from the offspring's Samsung mobile. Not very thrilled. And as stated earlier earlier didn't want to disturb the original musci system either. So thought of the dedicated GPS hardware with voice assist.
Ahhh yes the RDWS (Rolling Down Window System) - I call it Grameen (no inspiration from Garmin - please note). Very effective indeed. But with the majority rural population shifting to urban areas number of 'route knowledgable' ruralites is dropping really and have to seek additional help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So it's better to go in for a PND (Personal Navigation Device)
I know you like to keep Admiral in stock form, so this is a better bet.

Now a PND is only as good as it's maps. and IMHO, Today in India the MMI maps are by far the best.

So if you do decide on MMI you have three options to choose from for your budget.

~The one to go for~
MMI Loaded Vx 140s @9,990/- fits your budget to the T. has a bigger 4.3" screen, which would suit the Admiral better. Newer design, and launched recently by MMI

Trust me, you won't regret it.
Awaiting your response.
Please Navigate to the correct choice
Hi mdsaab,
Thanks for a lucid description. Will help greatly along with the responses from the other good members of the Togo Channel.
Appears the MMI Vx140s is the one to go for.
Would be doing shortly.

Will keep you all posted !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks