Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 11:19   #2296
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Beyond these - I also came across following products in MMI.

MMI Road Pilot with all India Maps - INR 7,990/-
MMI Vx 140s will all India Maps - INR 9,990/-

I am looking for basic device which will help me take from 1 place to another + alert me if I am deviating the route. So - let me know your suggestions!
Hi Mahesh,

I would recommend a Garmin Nuvi series, but with the following features.
1. Ability to send routes. ( this feature is a must)
2. Speak Street name. ( this is one step beyong voice navigation)
3. Bluetooth enabled.
4. rest of the features are pretty much standard. If you got any freinds in SIngapore or US, it would be fairly cheap out there. For a Nuvi with the features mentioned above, it is available for around 180 USD.
vu2pmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 13:46   #2297
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Anyone with know-how about TomTom products
Saw on their India website that they have the most "detailed" maps for India & have been trying to follow their launch
Going to Amsterdam this weekend & a friend's friend works for TomTom so was wondering is it worth picking one up if i get a good discount.
Old 10th November 2011, 13:49   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Anyone with know-how about TomTom products
Saw on their India website that they have the most "detailed" maps for India & have been trying to follow their launch
Going to Amsterdam this weekend & a friend's friend works for TomTom so was wondering is it worth picking one up if i get a good discount.
There was a review of the same on NDTV gadget guru. Tomtom map was not rated the best. But given the fact that it is still the first release in INdia, guess, it is too early to come to conclusions.

Tele Atlas did the maps for them if I remember correct and they are good.

Also, I was told someone in the industry that TOMTOM applications were indeed good compared to Garmin/ MMI
Old 10th November 2011, 15:29   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
There was a review of the same on NDTV gadget guru. Tomtom map was not rated the best. But given the fact that it is still the first release in INdia, guess, it is too early to come to conclusions.

Tele Atlas did the maps for them if I remember correct and they are good.

Also, I was told someone in the industry that TOMTOM applications were indeed good compared to Garmin/ MMI
Yeah when i was going through the comparisons online here, TomTom was at least among the top 5 if not 3. They are very strong in Europe.

So that brings me to the part whether Indian maps will be offered by the Indian arm or not, to be loaded on the device bought elsewhere & how much they will charge me for it.

Time to send some emails to them.
Old 10th November 2011, 15:32   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah when i was going through the comparisons online here, TomTom was at least among the top 5 if not 3. They are very strong in Europe.

So that brings me to the part whether Indian maps will be offered by the Indian arm or not, to be loaded on the device bought elsewhere & how much they will charge me for it.

Time to send some emails to them.
Why dont you consider Garmin Nuvi Series? Maps available...for India from both Navteq and from Mapmyindia. Mapmyindia, is still considered the best for India.

I am sure, TOMTOM wont sell as map only atleast for a while. In fact visiting their website shows that even their retailers are not yet ready..

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th November 2011 at 10:34. Reason: y = why, and u = you. Please use full words on Team-BHP, not SMS language. Thanks.
vu2pmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 09:03   #2301
BANNED

Quote:
Y dont u consider Garmin Nuvi Series? Maps available...for India from both Navteq and from Mapmyindia. Mapmyindia, is still considered the best for India.
Garmin maps are also available from Satnav/Satguide.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:35   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Why dont you consider Garmin Nuvi Series? Maps available...for India from both Navteq and from Mapmyindia. Mapmyindia, is still considered the best for India.

I am sure, TOMTOM wont sell as map only atleast for a while. In fact visiting their website shows that even their retailers are not yet ready..
Yeah the issue with buying Garmin is that, yes i would like to put the best maps as of now available MMI but they charge 7k for that, thus negating the point of buying one from here.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:41   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Can version 6.1 of MMI maps be installed on Android?
Old 11th November 2011, 17:36   #2304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah the issue with buying Garmin is that, yes i would like to put the best maps as of now available MMI but they charge 7k for that, thus negating the point of buying one from here.

If you are particular about the device - GARMIN only, then the Satguide maps suffice. Has most of the important towns covered. and cost only 1200/-.

If you are particular about MMI maps, then buy the device and maps from them.

Satguide also has 4.3 and 5" devices. check it out, and much cheaper than MMI.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 18:40   #2305
BHPian

Which of these two would be a better buy ?

1) Garmin Nuvi 215 @ 7690(after coupon) and Satguide maps. or

2) Map my India Road pilot.

The Gps device will be used most of the time in Bangalore only and on occasional trips if and when it happens along southern regions of the country.
Cost apart, could one please suggest which of these two would suffice my needs the best.
Old 12th November 2011, 08:08   #2306
BHPian

Quote:

Google properly and you will get a solution to what you have mentioned above......
Old 12th November 2011, 08:12   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post

The Gps device will be used most of the time in Bangalore only and on occasional trips if and when it happens along southern regions of the country.
Cost apart, could one please suggest which of these two would suffice my needs the best.

Garmin India .looks like some offers are there now. One drawback with a mapmyindia hardware is the fact that it cant be interfaced with computer as of now... I would put my money on Garmin anyday, and would search the net for Garmin Maps....
Old 12th November 2011, 12:31   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post

Garmin build quality is good which gives you a solid feeling when you constantly plug it in its holder and take it off. I have the same model and I have used it extensively in Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Kerala and Goa and the map supplied with it has never let me down.
Old 12th November 2011, 12:33   #2309
Senior - BHPian

anyone aware that upgrade to Garmin (Navtec) maps are free lifetime?
Old 12th November 2011, 19:34   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
anyone aware that upgrade to Garmin (Navtec) maps are free lifetime?
Yes at least that's what the Garmin India page claims. See here:

Garmin India | Pressroom | FREE lifetime maps now available in India!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks