Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 18:10   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi,

Could somebody advice me about what Apple IOS App would be good to download and use OpenStreet Maps for India Offline, when there is no Internet.

I also need to create GPS Tracks during my travels. It will be good if I can do that too with the same app.

Can the Complete Openstreet Maps for India be downloaded on a PC and then uploaded to the Iphone / Ipad ?

Travelling to Leh and beyond, when there is no Internet Connectivity Offline Maps are the only ones that can be used.
Try navfree or citymaps2go. Both doesn't require internet connectivity. I have downloaded it but have not used it. citymaps2go cannot do navigation. It will show your current position overlaid on a map.

navfree does navigation. However, I found that the maps are a bit outdated, atleast in the place where I stay.

I am not sure about GPS tracking in both.

Above all this, why don't you invest in a stand alone device? It would be of great help on your trip to Leh and beyond. Even for posterity, it is money well spent
Old 28th May 2013, 14:20   #2972

You can use osmand app for navigation. I found it pretty useful. Uses osm maps.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:03   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Sygic/MMI for android costs just Rs.199 today. Check it out. I think it is a steal at that price.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:39   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot has been already said earlier in this thread but here is my experience on navigation aid.

I use MMI SD card (Windows Mobile) based maps in my caska unit in my car. These maps are awesome. The cost is only 2K INR. So far all my travel in Karnataka, maharashtra and Goa has been great with its help. Pretty accurate and not even once failed.

I also use MMI maps through Sygic on my iPad and iPhone. The app was bought three years ago using appstore for 24.99$ or so. It's getting regular updates and maps there are reliable too. I would anyday recommend these options. Both of these MMI maps work in offline.

I also use the Google maps on iPhone but it always needs internet connection to route me. Once set, can function offline. Compared to MMI, google maps does not have enough reliable information in there. I have seen sometimes google taking through non reliable roads leading to waste of time and fuel. I would recommend MMI maps over any other options in India.

I actually had received SatGuide maps with my caska unit and those maps are pathetic! Forget about highways, even metro city routes are not reliable in it. So i am not using it!

I would suggest to use MMI and Google to plan your route. But when it comes to actual journey, use it only to reach closer to destination. Once there, take local help. The local knowledge is far superior than any of these. But just be careful to spot the conmen around before you ask.

About the actual device, my vote is to get something on your phone or in-dash. That way you carry less gizmos to worry about and cables of course. But also avoid something sticking on your wind-shield to obstruct your view. The voice guidance of MMI maps on iOS or in-dash are good so you won't need anything like phone holder on your dash either.

Oh and the apps that run on Android are subject to have the risk of instability of the phone operating system itself. So don't blame maps if all of a sudden your android phone reboots.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:38   #2975
BHPian

Is there a way to transfer the routes for google maps saved in your google account to the new google maps app with Voice Assist on Iphone ?

I have got some routes saved in my google account. When I travel I want to access these routes on my Iphone.

Styler
Old 12th June 2013, 13:51   #2976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Is there a way to transfer the routes for google maps saved in your google account to the new google maps app with Voice Assist on Iphone ?

I have got some routes saved in my google account. When I travel I want to access these routes on my Iphone.

Styler
Yes, on the top left of the screen on your google maps app there is search text box. At the right you see this little profile button - tap/ touch on it and it would give you options to see your recent histories from google maps elsewhere accessed, saved locations and routes. On the profile screen, you have a gears icon that would pull in more advanced options for history etc. Of course for this you must have been signed in using your google credentials and connectivity to keep everything up-to-date.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:20   #2977
BHPian

Last week I tested OsmAnd application on my BlackBerry PlayBook while driving back from office @ Flora fountain, Mumbai till Thane.
It's worked very well with offline vector maps. Only three times gps signal lost but detected again within couple of minutes. It has voice guidance option. It has gpx route record option as well. Most of the areas it was showing correct path but this was within city.
I will explore this OsmAnd on next outstation drive.

Cheers!
Old 26th June 2013, 13:05   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Today Bangalore Traffic Police gave this update, on the repair work in one of the underpasses.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-1064069_516489455083433_599827561_o.jpg

Is there any GPS device that will take this deviation into account while routing?
Old 26th June 2013, 14:27   #2979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
... Is there any GPS device that will take this deviation into account while routing?
None of the stored-maps ones will, but then they are not meant to avoid temporary road conditions before hand. Once you are forced to take a deviation, it will get you back on track within seconds. However, if the model happens to read traffic updates (if available; RDS / online, not printed), it will.

The only difference to online maps (provided the update is loaded there) is less anxiety at the start of the journey perhaps. If the alternate route happens to be significantly longer it may cause a different anxiety then . Online maps have to get traffic condition updates to the server to consider it in routing.

If the deviation just happens to be the only way of reaching your destination from your current location, there is no difference - the online map will guide you to the same deviated route as the stored-map device would.

Last edited by DerAlte : 26th June 2013 at 14:32.
Old 26th June 2013, 14:30   #2980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today Bangalore Traffic Police gave this update, on the repair work in one of the underpasses.
Is there any GPS device that will take this deviation into account while routing?
I doubt! Google might be able to but haven't checked it. And i say "It might" only for the reason that - software intelligence on tracking existing user data of that route travelers is advantage to google and might recommend the new route. But i strongly doubt this is built into the Google maps yet. And for all others which work in offline mode, impossible unless this info reached to them and officially comes to you as map data update!
Old 26th June 2013, 21:38   #2981
BHPian

Re: Mapmyindia GPS navigator VX140S review

Hello Guys,

Need advice from experts here. My friend recently came back from UK. He was using a Sony GPS device while in UK and he brought it to India now. The device is loaded with UK maps. Is there a possibility to load India maps in it (MMI preferred) and configure to our use? If it is possible, where can I get it done in Chennai?

Details:
Make: Sony
Model Num: NV-U83G

Snaps attached below. Sorry for the low quality mobile pics.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-20130626_211122.jpg
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-20130626_211256.jpg
Old 27th June 2013, 09:05   #2982
BHPian

Quote:

If you use Waze then you can report this and it will re route accordingly.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:47   #2983
Distinguished - BHPian

There is an offer from Map my India where you can purchase maps for Rs 300. However on checking the reviews in play store saw many people complaining about license error. Has anyone here tried this ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result
Old 1st July 2013, 14:41   #2984
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The app in play store would always be older version that the other global app (Sygic) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gic.aura&hl=en. Therefore, I advice to buy the map from Sygic.com and using the code in the Sygic global app.

Btw, the maps are pretty old (2012.06). I asked Sygic support for the map updates, to which they said that they are yet to receive newer maps from MapMyIndia.
Old 1st July 2013, 19:38   #2985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, the maps are pretty old (2012.06). I asked Sygic support for the map updates, to which they said that they are yet to receive newer maps from MapMyIndia.
And, in the later versions of Sygic, those maps may not be compatible with maps from other countries, which apparently use an updated format. You can own them and swap, but it takes a bit of a hack, with deleting files (Sygic did provide support for the problem), but you cannot have them available at the same time as the India files.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks