Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 13:11   #3046
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

just noticed that Mapmyindia has released a standalone app on iOS for navigation.
here is the link:
https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/mapm...ps/id723492531

i haven't tried it yet but looks like the same kind of functionality as google maps.

it was already available on android and windows phone.

Last edited by Nicky : 25th October 2013 at 13:13.
Old 25th October 2013, 21:48   #3047
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Well this is a repeat of what happened with my Duster on my drive to Yercaud soon after I took delivery; I connected my MMI Blaupunkt GPS and the fuse blew. Then I got help from Coimbatore Renault service; only on replacement I was able to use the music system and also the GPS. When I brought it to Whitefield Renault he checked out the GPS with the car charger and cleared it. Then I never had to use the GPS till this trip till Theni;
Moved this part of the discussion to the GPS thread.

Can you explain what is MMI Blaupunkt GPS?
- Is it Blaupunkt hardware with MMI maps ?
- Or its an MMI hardware ? If MMI where does Blaupunkt figure in it ?

Basically looks like the charger may be faulty and hence shorting-up some thing.
Hence I was trying to figure if charger is an OEM charger.

EDIT : Thanks to Vid : This is what you may be referring to : http://www.mapmyindia.com/navigator/travelPilot
I would say just get a Garmin HW. Should work out much better.

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2013 at 21:51.
Old 26th October 2013, 12:01   #3048
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can you explain what is MMI Blaupunkt GPS?
- Is it Blaupunkt hardware with MMI maps ?
- Or its an MMI hardware ? If MMI where does Blaupunkt figure in it ?
Should be a Blaupunkt console with which uses Garmin maps a standard.So I expect MMI for Gramin towork!
Old 27th October 2013, 01:06   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I would say just get a Garmin HW. Should work out much better.
Nothing better about the Garmin compared to Blau TravelPilot. It is a good set - very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
just noticed that Mapmyindia has released a standalone app on iOS for navigation. ...
The less said about it the better. All the map and PoI data is there - yet the interface is RUDIMENTARY. Reminded me of the state of navigation assistance 15 years back! It guides you with a text list, not screen clues or voice guidance. While driving, the map only shows in 2D, with the blue dot tracking your position. One doesn't get any assistance even with turns coming up. This MMI app is just a map display app with Search functionality.

MMI must be testing the waters with this. IMHO they *shouldn't* have released that terribly immature app of their own. Garmin (also Navigon), TomTom et al sell reliability and well-rounded functionality. MMI isn't even giving minimum functionality in their app comparatively. Sygic etc. are mature applications miles ahead of this MMI app. Even OSM-based Galileo is far far better.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:43   #3050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Nothing better about the Garmin compared to Blau TravelPilot. It is a good set - very reliable.
I was not aware that Blau does PNDs also. Later I saw that they have quite some on their catalog.

Another thing which I was thinking: Does this fuse blow up issue with member @waxeloquent happen only with the GOS charger ? Has has used other chargers for other devices on that point? Even then, if the fuse blows, in that case, it may also indicate a faulty charger point.
Old 27th October 2013, 20:05   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not aware that Blau does PNDs also. Later I saw that they have quite some on their catalog.

... Does this fuse blow up issue with member @waxeloquent happen only with the GOS charger ? ...
Blau has been into Navigation for a long time now - more than 20 years!

In @waxeloquent's case looks like it was a rare case of weak Accessories fuse. Nothing to do with the Blau charger coming on. He mentions that even the Music Unit (HU) was out when the fuse blew - which means the Accessories main fuse itself blew. Happens. If it was a fault in the Blau unit / charger, the fuse in the charger would blow (just behind the +ive contact point in the barrel of the charger; one has to unscrew the conical cop to access it).
Old 27th October 2013, 20:32   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Travelpilot may be good, but it's no more supported or sold by mmi. The latest maps and updates are no more available for travelpilot. I wrote to mmi support for some details but they didn't bother replying,quite in contrast to 4 years ago when I made an enquiry for purchasing the TPL, and they very eagerly responded. At that time I didn't know that the clearance sale they were having at a heavy discount would render the product unsupported in the future.

A user also complained of the lack of spare parts etc for repair of the TPL.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 27th October 2013 at 20:34.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:04   #3053
Distinguished - BHPian

Another navigation app launched. But at 1300, I wonder if there will be any takers specially now that Sygic with MMI is free!!

http://overdrive.in/news/ans-and-nng...p-for-android/

Quote:
ANS and NNg have just launched the India spec version of the ANS Navigator app for Android smart phones. This app features full turn by turn navigation and is available on the Google Play Store. The app uses latest 2013 map data and content which covers 17 lakh kilometers and a massive 7.3 million points of interest.

The app is powered by NNG’s iGO Navigation Engine which also powers their stand alone PND devices. The app offers features like live traffic updates for 11 major Indian cities, proper point addressing, alternate routes, speed limits and more. A special feature for India, the new Integrated Quick Search option lets users enter their destination quickly and easily.

The application currently supports two screen resolutions, 1280×720 and 800×480. For now the following devices are supported: HTC One X, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3 HTC One V, HTC Incredible S, Samsung Galaxy S1, Samsung Galaxy S2. NNG plans to expand this list shortly

Péter Bolesza, vice president of Eastern Europe and emerging markets at NNG commented: “We have experienced a very strong demand for iGO Navigation in India. Our cooperation with ANS allows us to deliver our India-optimized solutions straight to the end user across a wide range of devices including PNDs, iPhone and now Android smartphones. The new application enables both drivers and pedestrians to find the optimal route at any time and in any situation – easy and quick, in the palm of their hand.”

Amit Sharma, Director at ANS India says, “Our recent product launches have confirmed the fast upward trend of navigation usage in India. With the iGO Navigation Engine at the heart of our products we can supply Indian drivers with proven and easy-to-use navigation solutions that take the stress out of driving on the busy Indian roads.”

The app is priced at Rs 1,399. Along with the turn-by-turn ANS Navigator App, ANS and NNG have also launched two map viewing applications on the Google Play Store
Old 17th November 2013, 00:42   #3054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I tried something similar the last time I travelled to Kollur. But I happened to add a couple of waypoints inside Bangalore city since I did not want to take the route that Sygic/MMI suggested.
Moved our discussion here.

That is very true. That is why I dont use the "navigation" mode of the GPS at all. Because during route planning, I would try to understand the high level route plan. The waypoints used to mark the route plan (which are transferred to the device) are more a means for me to confirm if I am taking the right route. So there are no suggestions made by the device. When I am nearing a forking point, I would be expecting that waypoint to show-up on the device (which I would have marked during my route planning on PC and then transferred to the device). That would confirm my belief that the route I would be taking is correct.
Old 20th November 2013, 08:15   #3055
BHPian

Which GPS Navigator to buy?

Guys, I am in a fix. Though indecisions are not alien to me, this particular one is irritating.

I am planning to fix a GPS Navigator in my Safari since few long drives are coming up. Initially I zerored in on three options

1. MapMyIndia
2. Garmin Nuvi Lm 50
3. Tomtom VIA 125/100

The reviews of MapMyIndia and the build quality didn`t impressed me at all and subsequently I dropped MapMyIndia from my shorlist.

Now I am in a fix between Tomtom & Garmin and here I badly need some insight to both of these products. Anyone having some idea on the product I should go for, please do pitch in.

Thanking in advance and eagerly waiting for your advice/s
Old 20th November 2013, 08:33   #3056
BHPian

Re: Which GPS Navigator to buy?

why not go for a smartphone under 10K, it could serve as a backup phone. You could use offline maps like Sygic (Android) or Nokia HERE.
Old 20th November 2013, 08:33   #3057
BHPian

I do not know what made you drop MapmyIndia,cause I own one for quite some time now, been using it on all my outstation trips as well as in my state as well as the latest update to MapmyIndia had every road,every business listed properly and I myself never had to make a u-turn cause of it so I'd suggest give it another try.

If not I'd say go for tom-tom,my cousin owns it and I've used it too,similar tomapmyindia and much better then Garmin devices,my friend who is a car accessories dealer also suggests the tom tom over the garmin device. So my choice would be either ther mapmyIndia or tomtom.

Last edited by richie4u : 20th November 2013 at 08:35.
Old 20th November 2013, 08:36   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
why not go for a smartphone under 10K, it could serve as a backup phone. You could use offline maps like Sygic (Android) or Nokia HERE.
For a simple reason is that phones are made for a different purpose and so does the GPS devices. More off, I have noticed, continuous use of smart phone (in my case a Samsung Galaxy Duos) heats up the unit to a uncomfortable limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I do not know what made you drop MapmyIndia

If not I'd say go for tom-tom,my cousin owns it and I've used it too,similar tomapmyindia and much better then Garmin devices,my friend who is a car accessories dealer also suggests the tom tom over the garmin device. So my choice would be either ther mapmyIndia or tomtom.
As I have told initially, I dropped MapMyIndia because I got to some brutal wrong reviews and the product also felt filmsy Chinese make. Added to that, the don`t offer Life time free map either.

Thanks for suggesting Tomtom, but still little skeptical about the Map coverage as many vouch that, all places (specifically interior) are not properly listed. Garmin is not either but at least tad better, as per few revies.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th November 2013 at 17:03. Reason: back to back posts. Please read rules of forum before proceeding further. Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 09:03   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Thanks for suggesting Tomtom, but still little skeptical about the Map coverage as many vouch that, all places (specifically interior) are not properly listed. Garmin is not either but at least tad better, as per few revies.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ka...-india/386288/

teleatlas (a tomtom company) has been here since 5+ years, supplying to more providers than you'd think, including google till a couple of years back.

Should not be an issue IMHO - though I doubt any would be able to match the up to date nature of GMaps.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:14   #3060
BHPian

Hey BeingCynical!

I have been using MapMyIndia for over 4 years and can vouch for the build quality and maps. It has never let me down. I have driven more than 40,000 km on highways using it. I have also used on the inner roads during these drives. The best has been the accuracy of maps in cities and towns. Jaisalmer, Barmer, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Mumbai, Pune, Karwar, the whole of Goa, Shimla, Delhi, Kaza, and many more. It has never let me down.

I have a Vx140. The device is robust and has taken the rough usage we put it to during our drives. With 2 daughters, it is put to real test. You do not need to update maps every 6 months. The maps are good for 2 years. I have updated once in 2 years and am good with it. Never let me down. Specially the latest version of maps is so accurate. Every business, building, fuel station is listed on it.

I have not used TomTom or Garmin, but I can strongly vouch for MapMyIndia. All the best!

Most Viewed