Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 12:34   #3136
BHPian

I have a MMI Travelpilot Lucca 3.5 GPS. When it works (failures mostly because of power
connection issues in my Duster cigarette lighter charger point, which I guess is presently fixed)
it is cool. In iPad or Android Tab, the 3G plus Google maps/Waze app works well as long as there is connectivity. So I use the combination of these particularly when I am in the interior parts of the States where I travel. I am afraid there is no silver bullet, it is the combo which
will help you out in India. Cheers
Old 21st February 2014, 08:04   #3137
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
On a lighter note, I am used to getting lost now!
Quote:
Might be a silly question, but does a dedicated GPS unit help? Like Ampere had suggested in his post; once you take a route and save it, you can ask the device to take the same route back (of course, one-ways are not included).

Currently, I am using the Samsung for GPS duties.

Also, I am not at all bashing Sygic; it shows correct routes more than 85% of the time. For the rest, I should use common-sense!
As you can see most of the people want to go with an integrated device like a tablet or phone. Some how I still go with a dedicated GPS unit. May be now I realize the need is not to have a dedicated device. The idea is to know, how to use a given device. And more importantly, you need to know how to use it the way "you" want it. If you note, many people, even after purchasing a dedicated device miss their routes and then they say the device is not worth it.

The idea as I mentioned above is get any device to use it the way "you" need it to and not the way the device functions.

So what is the need here on a high level basis:

- You should be able to plan a route on a PC or a Device. (PC preferable). This plan is based on maps content, suggestion from people etc.
- You should be able to transfer that plan to a device.
- Now what is the plan ? In technical terms its a sequence of points from start to destination.
- Now you want the device to take you through these points only and NOT suggest any other route.
- People who buy dedicated devices also use it the way they use google maps on phone/tabs. In other words just give end point and device would route you through. In that case the "plan" that they made-up based on talking to people, looking at maps etc is not at all being used.

So to summarize be it any device Tablet/Phone Running MMI of Garmin running MMI, all you need a method which would allow you to plan on a PC (find a sequence of points) and transfer these points (assuming routing algorithms are set to be congruent) to the device. And the device implements your plan. Last but not least, the device should also log the route that you took and highlight the trail. So when you back track the highlighted trail can be used as a guide too.
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:33   #3138
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys, got to know of an offer at Reliance Autozone on Garmin GPS unit with free lifetime maps priced @8490. Is it worth going for this? Refer image below.

I am new to GPS world, have been following the traditional way of carrying a physical map, planning out the route with high level destinations points enroute, asking the local people. Off late, I plan the route on PC, take print outs of the routes and also keep the traditional way as fall back option. But have realized that the above method doesn't work when I am in an unknown city and need detailed directions.

I am also not a smartphone geek. Just want a simple solution to my navigation woes when in an unknown territory. Please advise.
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2014, 12:39   #3139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Guys, got to know of an offer at Reliance Autozone on Garmin GPS unit with free lifetime maps priced @8490. Is it worth going for this? Refer image below.
Which is the Garmin device ? If you can mention that, it would help. Mostly it should be a 4X or a 5X unit.
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:16   #3140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Which is the Garmin device ? If you can mention that, it would help. Mostly it should be a 4X or a 5X unit.
Just found out the details from Reliance Autozone, Hsr layout. They have the following models:
  • 42 LM - The offer is on this particular device. Priced @ 8490. Currently out of stock but they will get it in a weeks time
  • 52LM - priced @10490, 5 inch touch screen without bluetooth connectivity. Available in the store
  • 2460 LM - Priced @ 14000 (approx), 4 inch touch screen with bluetooth connectivity.Available in the store
  • 2568 LM - priced @ 17000 (approx), with reverse camera support.Available in the store

All the above devices will come with a free life time maps.
What do you suggest, which one should I go for? Don't care about reverse camera and bluetooth as it is already there in my verna.

Shall i wait for 42LM or 52LM is a good buy at this price? Also is there any other reasonable store in your knowledge where I can get a good buy?
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:31   #3141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shall i wait for 42LM or 52LM is a good buy at this price? Also is there any other reasonable store in your knowledge where I can get a good buy?
- Map wise I would still prefer Map My India compared to Garmin.
- As regards to device itself, as per me, the basic device which allows trip planning and storage of routes is 24xx series.
- See if you can get this from US. I think you can get the same device with good deals at the same price for which you get 4x/5x series in India.
- If you are just looking at point to point routing in that case 4x/5x make a good buy. Just note you get them lot cheaper in Amazon.
- If you have no option but to buy it here, then I think 4x/5x may be a good buy. Just be aware of its limits.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2014 at 14:32.
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:53   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
- Map wise I would still prefer Map My India compared to Garmin.
- As regards to device itself, as per me, the basic device which allows trip planning and storage of routes is 24xx series.
- See if you can get this from US. I think you can get the same device with good deals at the same price for which you get 4x/5x series in India.
- If you are just looking at point to point routing in that case 4x/5x make a good buy. Just note you get them lot cheaper in Amazon.
- If you have no option but to buy it here, then I think 4x/5x may be a good buy. Just be aware of its limits.
Thanks for your suggestions amp. In that case I might as well go for 24xx series as it will allow trip planning as well.
Regarding getting the MMI map on Garmin, will it be a hassle later (sorry if it's a noob question)? Or shall I look for MMI devices itself like Lx 340 or Vx 140s premium?
I need to see if I can pull few strings to get the device from US, don't think it will happen anytime soon. So may be will have to buy it here.
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:02   #3143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions amp. In that case I might as well go for 24xx series as it will allow trip planning as well.
Regarding getting the MMI map on Garmin, will it be a hassle later (sorry if it's a noob question)? Or shall I look for MMI devices itself like Lx 340 or Vx 140s premium?
I need to see if I can pull few strings to get the device from US, don't think it will happen anytime soon. So may be will have to buy it here.
Its easy to get MMI maps for Garmin. But the issue is they charge a bomb for the same content compiled for Garmin. Esp given that, they are free on Sygic, but 4-5K for Garmin devices !

But do note 24xx series are priced easily at about 14-15K or more in India. But in Amazon you can get them for 5-8K depending on deals.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2014 at 15:03.
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:20   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Its easy to get MMI maps for Garmin. But the issue is they charge a bomb for the same content compiled for Garmin. Esp given that, they are free on Sygic, but 4-5K for Garmin devices !

But do note 24xx series are priced easily at about 14-15K or more in India. But in Amazon you can get them for 5-8K depending on deals.
Ohh.. It's too steep. So, 24xx with MMI maps will take the price to 20K!!

What's your take on MMI devices Lx340, Vx 140s premium? They are listed in the price range of 9k-10k on MMI website.
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:37   #3145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ohh.. It's too steep. So, 24xx with MMI maps will take the price to 20K!!

What's your take on MMI devices Lx340, Vx 140s premium? They are listed in the price range of 9k-10k on MMI website.
I would prefer the Garmin devices any given day. That is because you have lots possibilities to play with maps on the device and on PC too. MMI devices don't have much software support as per what I know. While for Garmin you can look many GPS forums and Garmin's own forum too.
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:27   #3146
BHPian

Thanks Amp! That helps. Will try to source 24xx series from US or hunt for a deal on amazon.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:58   #3147
BHPian

Hi,
Im looking to buy a GPS Logger, just to keep recording all the tracks of during a few days long trip, in continuous mode. It'll be primarily used in my car, sometimes during treks / walks.
Came across Holux http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/produc...list.jsp?pno=2 which is also offered on DX http://dx.com/s/holux+gps+logger

I know these days Android phone has apps to record, but that'll take a toll on battery of my phone.

any pointers would be appreciated in this matter.

thanks,

Last edited by pcpranav : 24th February 2014 at 15:03.
Old 5th March 2014, 06:48   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Hi

i have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 unit (purchased in the US) & I had added a Map-my-India chip for the India maps. Bought it in India from Map-my-india direct, with a 2 year subscription upgrade (mistake!)

Now, the micro SD card with the India maps is lost. Map my India refused to entertain my request for selling me a new chip at a discount and wants me to buy the full monty card again at 5500.

I am baulking, obviously. Any suggestions?

Alternatively, does anybody have an iso image of the the Map my India micro SD card content?
Old 5th March 2014, 11:39   #3149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Alternatively, does anybody have an iso image of the the Map my India micro SD card content?
This may not work since the file is locked to a particular card / device.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:03   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you can see most of the people ............

So to summarize be it any device Tablet/Phone Running MMI of Garmin running MMI, all you need a method which would allow you to plan on a PC (find a sequence of points) and transfer these points (assuming routing algorithms are set to be congruent) to the device. And the device implements your plan. Last but not least, the device should also log the route that you took and highlight the trail. So when you back track the highlighted trail can be used as a guide too.
Though I don't use a GPS for route planning or for taking directions, I see the point you are trying to make here and quite agree with the approach. In any field of life even the best machine in the hands of people who don't know how to use it is totally worthless.

Most casual users of GPS think it will prompt them through a jungle where no roads exist and don't do any advance planning or even take a casual look at the map prior to setting off on a journey. This might be fine and one could get away with it in a well mapped city but not on a poorly mapped country like India where roads marked on maps often do not even exist in reality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks