Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 13:23   #3166
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Got my Google nexus 7 2012 model and downloaded sygic. Did a brief test in the morning with satisfactory results. The best part is that it works offline.

A big thanks to Ampere for answering my questions patiently.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:24   #3167
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Got my Google nexus 7 2012 model and downloaded sygic. Did a brief test in the morning with satisfactory results. The best part is that it works offline.
Congrats. I hope you downloaded all the India maps. They give you state wise and you should be able to download all the states.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:36   #3168
BHPian

Have only downloaded karnataka maps for now, assumed I could always go back and download maps for other states as and when I need to.

Is that correct?
Old 13th March 2014, 16:08   #3169
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it is. No need to fill up space with unneeded states --- until you need them.
Old 13th March 2014, 17:04   #3170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Have only downloaded karnataka maps for now, assumed I could always go back and download maps for other states as and when I need to.

Is that correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes it is. No need to fill up space with unneeded states --- until you need them.
Agreed. But was not sure when they stop giving it away for free! Hence suggested the same.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:08   #3171
BHPian

Folks, has anyone tried using green alp.com for location tracking through mobile gps? A friend of ours is using it while he I señor ute to Delhi from Pune and we can see fantastic live tracking through the green alp website
Old 15th March 2014, 17:46   #3172
BHPian

Just installed Mapmyindia in-dash AVN For swift.
I Bought it at 30,000 and got fitted at 300rs in pune
it came with all required connectors, cables. No need to cut existing wiring.

Sorry for the low resolution photo. my phone camera sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-img2014031500847.jpg  

Old 16th March 2014, 07:22   #3173
BHPian

Thanks for detailed discussion on tab and sygic app. Based on this, I ordered google nexus 2012 tab from flipcart and awaiting delivery.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:42   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I don't know if it is off topic - I am getting a Duster 85 soon with a medianav (from LG). Whose map do they use and what are the update options? Would anyone know?
The nav device in duster uses Nokia Here maps. At least that's what they were using back during mid of 2013. These maps are quite comprehensive!
Old 20th March 2014, 11:59   #3175
BANNED

@Manas5; i think Nokia and Garmin both use Navteq which is (or used to be) owned by Nokia.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:36   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
The nav device in duster uses Nokia Here maps. At least that's what they were using back during mid of 2013. These maps are quite comprehensive!
Thanks Manas5 for clarifying the point. I am yet to get the Duster and thought I would check it out for myself, once I got it in my possession . I am not too sure how much I will use it in real life driving situation though - I mean the navigation system.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 20th March 2014 at 12:38.
Old 20th March 2014, 13:53   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Thanks Manas5 for clarifying the point. I am yet to get the Duster and thought I would check it out for myself, once I got it in my possession . I am not too sure how much I will use it in real life driving situation though - I mean the navigation system.
You're welcome. I have used the head-unit in duster in person. It is one of the best dash integrated multimedia-navi unit I have come across so far. And considering it uses one of the more critically acclaimed ( but underappreciated) map we have out there.

All the best for your car purchase
Manas
Old 24th March 2014, 18:02   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,
Im looking to buy a GPS Logger, just to keep recording all the tracks of during a few days long trip, in continuous mode. It'll be primarily used in my car, sometimes during treks / walks.
Came across Holux http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/produc...list.jsp?pno=2 which is also offered on DX http://dx.com/s/holux+gps+logger

I know these days Android phone has apps to record, but that'll take a toll on battery of my phone.

any pointers would be appreciated in this matter.

thanks,
Mods: pl allow one bump on my post ! awaiting to hear from colleagues.
Old 24th March 2014, 18:15   #3179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Mods: pl allow one bump on my post ! awaiting to hear from colleagues.
If you are using in car, with a car charger no issues for battery. That said, when you switch off screen and log in background, you can get hours of recording on a single charge. I recorded a trek for 6 hours and lost about 15% of battery on my note 2 with screen off
Old 24th March 2014, 20:52   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I recorded a trek for 6 hours and lost about 15% of battery on my note 2 with screen off
What app do you use for this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks