Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 21:40   #3181
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
What app do you use for this?
I use oruxmaps
Start recording, then press home button, and then power button once to blank out screen. It keeps recording in background with CPU at 200mhz max. Have done long treks without running out of juice
Old 25th March 2014, 22:38   #3182
Senior - BHPian

I use Sygic Free Maps on my Xperia x10 (Android 2.3.3).
There is one problem with this app. The roads in map are not updated.
The 2 lane National Highway between Pune- Solapur has been upgraded to 4 lane and the number has also been changed from NH9 to NH65. But the Sygic map is not aware of this.
Is there any solution on this (Sygic)?
Is there any other FREE OFFLINE GPS APP which can rival (online) Google Map?
Old 25th March 2014, 23:00   #3183
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I just bought Mapmyindia VX140s Premium for the Ritz.
Negotiated with the Mapmyindia Guy. Bought for rs 8000/-
Will get delivered tomorrow of the day after. I will put up a detailed review as soon as i get it.
Old 26th March 2014, 16:47   #3184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are using in car, with a car charger no issues for battery. That said, when you switch off screen and log in background, you can get hours of recording on a single charge. I recorded a trek for 6 hours and lost about 15% of battery on my note 2 with screen off
Thank You (I saw the TY button not available in these threads!)
I have now done fair research on Holux M241, and mostly buy it. Now just searching for the best possible online site, with best rate!
Old 1st April 2014, 19:22   #3185
BHPian

which gps device to pick up - MAP MY INDIA OR GARMIN

Hello ,
i am confused which GPS device to procure
MAP MY INDIA - VX340
or
Garmin- NUVI 2465 LM

firstly am not very sure if either work decently well in places like Ladakh , North East. Hence i am still debating which one to pick up.Secondly which device works in Ladakh

Regards
Sumit
Old 4th April 2014, 23:38   #3186
BHPian

Offer from mapmyindia. See pic attached. Looks yummy. May be they are offering older version of maps. Please check and then buy.
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-mapmyindia-offer.jpg  

Old 4th April 2014, 23:46   #3187
Team-BHP Support

Re: which gps device to pick up - MAP MY INDIA OR GARMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
firstly am not very sure if either work decently well in places like Ladakh , North East. Hence i am still debating which one to pick up.Secondly which device works in Ladakh
Its not the device but you need to ask which map content would help you route. The device is HW which would overlay GPS data on a map. Its the map content which you should be worried about. Check with TSK. I think he suggested Open street maps for Ladakh. And they can be installed in Garmin.

As regards to which hardware (Garmin or MMI): Garmin for sure.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:14   #3188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is there any other FREE OFFLINE GPS APP which can rival (online) Google Map?
Google maps are updated regularly by mapmakers with local knowledge all around the world. That is why nothing can beat google maps.

Below two steps might improve sygic - but will they?
1. Switch to google map data (or it can also support google map data along with MMI maps)
2. In case of google map data, provide regular updates from them - say atleast once a month.
Old 5th April 2014, 13:49   #3189
Distinguished - BHPian

and...

3. Present the India map data in compatible format with other-country mapping. I'm guessing that they still not do so.
Old 6th April 2014, 09:44   #3190
BHPian

I hope in near future, we have Navigation Data standard followed by everyone.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/N..._Data_Standard

http://www.nds-association.org/
Old 6th April 2014, 11:27   #3191
BHPian

Re: which gps device to pick up - MAP MY INDIA OR GARMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its not the device but you need to ask which map content would help you route. The device is HW which would overlay GPS data on a map. Its the map content which you should be worried about. Check with TSK. I think he suggested Open street maps for Ladakh. And they can be installed in Garmin.

As regards to which hardware (Garmin or MMI): Garmin for sure.
Thank you
I have installed OSMAND+ on my phone and am trying to figure out how to use the application effortlessly but i have realized that it needs effort to understand the same so tha i can use it to the optimum

regards
Old 8th April 2014, 14:45   #3192
BHPian

Hi. I am considering buying a dedicated GPS device for my car and am confused over which one to buy.

From what I can see, the choice of hardware comes down to Garmin or MMI. In MMI, how is "Mapmyindia VX140s Premium"? The MMU Vx140s is aaround the 8500 range. Is there any other choice to coinsider from MMI?

Not sure about which version of Garmin to consider. If Garmin, which would you suggest?

Also, if I buy Garmin, do I need to buy the map seperately? If I buy MMI Vx140s, do I get map updates for free or is that to be bought seperately and how much would they cost.

This is my first time with a specific GPS device (to be used mostly in Mumbai and neighboring locales) and hence would appreciate the advise.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:47   #3193
BHPian

It seems the Russian GLONASS, equivalent of the US GPS, has failed. All 24 sats had failed simultaneously! There had been forums quite vocal, against the ever increasing reliance, for free, on these navigational systems and their claims have now come true, or, at least till the problem is rectified.

EDIT: It happened early April, has now been rectified.

http://gpsworld.com/glonass-failure-...russian-press/

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 10th April 2014 at 16:50.
Old 10th April 2014, 18:24   #3194
BANNED

My son bought a City AVN last July. To his surprise when he wanted to update his MMI maps the device was not registered on the MMI database. He uis tuck, he has contacted Honda but so far no joy. Most likely it is a Caska unit.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:02   #3195
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antariksh View Post
Just installed Mapmyindia in-dash AVN For swift.
Any additional comments, now that you've had it a couple of weeks? Are you liking it or are there any issues with it?

R_R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks