Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 03:11   #3331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

That's interesting: I wonder why yours does not upgrade.

I've emailed Sygic, to ask if I can lock the version.

I also discovered that auto-update can be set on or off for individual apps in Titanium Backup's Playstore tools. I've turned it off for Sygic, but I don't know if that is what it uses, or if it just does its own communication with the Sygic servers.

For serious travel, it is on the tablet. That is not a problem. But one can (and I do, occasionally) just get lost around town. Hey ho, there's always Google maps I suppose, but I don't keep a data plan for the phone.
Old 11th May 2015, 09:55   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I am looking at installing MapmyIndia in my car.

My Queries:

1) Wanted to check if the mounts provided in the box can be dash mounted as well?

2) Do I need to get it professionally installed or is it a simple DIY of taking the device out of the box, charging and installing in the location of your choice.

3) Are updates free OTA or charged per update. If charged, what are the charges.
Old 12th May 2015, 17:11   #3333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
... 1) Wanted to check if the mounts provided in the box can be dash mounted as well? ...
The windshield mount is a suction mount, and needs a smooth surface. One alternative is to stick a piece of glass on the top of the dashboard (with double sided tape), and stick the mount on it. Another alternative is to get a dashboard mount (doesn't need sticking to dashboard since it has a heavy flexible base).

Quote:
... 2) Do I need to get it professionally installed or is it a simple DIY of taking the device out of the box, charging and installing in the location of your choice. ...
Don't be scared. It is as easy as taking out the box and installing it yourself (follow the instructions). Connect the charger before switching it on the first time.

Quote:
... 3) Are updates free OTA or charged per update. If charged, what are the charges.
There is no OTA update as the device doesn't have an internet connection. It is usually done via SD card. Check with MMI for charges.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:43   #3334
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Garmin City Navigator India NT 2015.10 map for few days. So far looks good. This is by far the best map released by Garmin for India till date. Routing is good, but can be better. Like always, this comes with excellent POIs. Another thing I noticed was it has speed limits defined for certain roads ! This is first time I am seeing in a map for India
Old 18th May 2015, 11:56   #3335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's interesting: I wonder why yours does not upgrade.

I've emailed Sygic, to ask if I can lock the version.

I also discovered that auto-update can be set on or off for individual apps in Titanium Backup's Playstore tools. I've turned it off for Sygic, but I don't know if that is what it uses, or if it just does its own communication with the Sygic servers.

For serious travel, it is on the tablet. That is not a problem. But one can (and I do, occasionally) just get lost around town. Hey ho, there's always Google maps I suppose, but I don't keep a data plan for the phone.
Sygic did get back to me, with a link for downloading the known-working version, should I need to, and told me simply to turn off auto-update in google play store.

In the meantime, I had protected the working backup in Titanium and turned off the update in it's tools.

So, we can turn off the auto-update, but I wish there was a specific "peg this version" facility like in Ubuntu. hey ho, hopefully the effect is the same.
Old 18th May 2015, 15:58   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have been using Garmin City Navigator India NT 2015.10 map for few days. So far looks good. This is by far the best map released by Garmin for India till date. Routing is good, but can be better. Like always, this comes with excellent POIs. Another thing I noticed was it has speed limits defined for certain roads ! This is first time I am seeing in a map for India

Can you please share how you managed to get this update? I have life time update for the Garmin device which I bought last year. I am stuck with 2014 map. I installed Garmin express on my desktop and connected the device but it did not help in updating the map :( Your experience if shared will help. Thanks.
Cheers
Old 18th May 2015, 16:44   #3337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Can you please share how you managed to get this update? I have life time update for the Garmin device which I bought last year. I am stuck with 2014 map. I installed Garmin express on my desktop and connected the device but it did not help in updating the map :( Your experience if shared will help.
Garmin express is a waste as it works with the US site. I hope you have an id/account with Garmin.co.in. otherwise set one up. You will have to connect your unit and it will pick up the serial etc automatically.

Then go in with the unit connected, and follow instructions. I find that firefox does not work, but Chrome does! You may have to install the communicator first. I have had my 2465 for coming on to three years, no problems.
Old 18th May 2015, 16:58   #3338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Then go in with the unit connected, and follow instructions. I find that firefox does not work, but Chrome does! You may have to install the communicator first. I have had my 2465 for coming on to three years, no problems.
Yes, since it installs the browser plugin, I use IE for connecting to garmin site. It works on www.garmin.com site too.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:00   #3339

Headsup for openstreetmap fans, we just launched the OSM India website couple of days back with the correct Kashmir boundaries.
http://openstreetmap.in

The map is automatically synced with changes from the main osm.org every 10 minutes.

PS: We're mapping Agra this week
Old 18th May 2015, 22:27   #3340
BHPian

OSM is indeed good news !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Headsup for openstreetmap fans, we just launched the OSM India website couple of days back with the correct Kashmir boundaries.
http://openstreetmap.in

The map is automatically synced with changes from the main osm.org every 10 minutes.

PS: We're mapping Agra this week

That's great news . I have edited OSM many times, and have used it to calculate routes etc. Am planning to install the app in my smartphone too.

OSM, though not as detailed as google maps or nokia here maps is getting there, slowly but surely! What is nice is that is a open source, community effort project.

Just a query - in the OSM website when I ask for directions from place A to Place B, why can't I insert a 'via' point in between? That would make route planning so easy. In fact, the option to insert a lot of 'via' points will help us noobs to plan the route better. Let's say I wanted to travel from Delhi to Udaipur, 'via' Jodhpur. Now there's no way I can do such planning in OSM (or is there?). I haven't used the app so don't know whether this feature - adding 'via' points is available in the application or not?

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-osm.png

This is something the developers need to look at and amend. In case such a feature exists (though I couldn't find it in the help section), could you point me to it? Have veteran OSM users like tsk1979 faced such an issue? Is there a way around it?

Here's a screenshot of google maps for the same destination, 'via' Jodhpur.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-gmaps.png
Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th May 2015 at 22:35. Reason: Adding Google Maps screenshot
Old 18th May 2015, 22:57   #3341
Team-BHP Support

Re: OSM is indeed good news !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
This is something the developers need to look at and amend. In case such a feature exists (though I couldn't find it in the help section), could you point me to it? Have veteran OSM users like tsk1979 faced such an issue? Is there a way around it?
I dont think its anything to do with OSM maps per se. Thats the only content part. It depends on to which front end software its being compiled for. For example I have OSM routable maps for Garmin installed on Basecamp on my MAC. And I can route from point A to B via multiple waypoints. So in effect it depends to what front end you are compiling the maps for.
Old 19th May 2015, 08:26   #3342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont think its anything to do with OSM maps per se. Thats the only content part. It depends on to which front end software its being compiled for. For example I have OSM routable maps for Garmin installed on Basecamp on my MAC. And I can route from point A to B via multiple waypoints. So in effect it depends to what front end you are compiling the maps for.

Thanks a lot ampere !

They are using Mapquest maps and OSM - not sure about the front end software. What I wanted to point out was for a layman like me who stumbles upon OSM website for the first time, wouldn't it be useful to make it a little more user friendly and flexible - a good experience the first time around will get the user's interest piqued and he may even learn to edit it thereby adding to the community driven effort.

Just a thought.

Cheers !
Old 19th May 2015, 08:44   #3343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Just a thought.
Totally understand your point of view. In fact thats how even I started. Just look at it this way. You have the following elements for planning:

- Device which you use in the car. It should be more like a slave, performing tasks that you ask to to do.
- Software on the PC that you use to plan the routes and trips
- Map content which you use.

Now if you break it down further:
- The map is the constant data shared between the PC and the device.
- The planning you perform on PC should have the routing congruent to the one used on the device.
- Then only a plan you come up with on PC, will behave the same way when you transfer it to device.
- Now in order for that to happen, its good that the S/W on the PC and device be in sync (or should be able to understand each other)
- There are ways to get that done.
- The simplest is to use a common denomination. (Garmin). Thats what I did.
- So if you go to a OSM site, you will get OSM maps compiled for Garmin. Just download, install the same on your PC and device, and all the points I mentioned above should work.
- Please note, a map compiled for Garmin means, you can install the map on Garmin S/W like Mapsource/Basecamp on PC
- Also note Garmin has discontinued Mapsource. They now only support Basecamp across PC and Mac.
Old 19th May 2015, 09:14   #3344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes, since it installs the browser plugin, I use IE for connecting to garmin site. It works on www.garmin.com site too.
it is not the plug in but the update. Firefox blocks the plugin. As for the map upgrade, it used to be at their Taiwan site, and is now with the India site. So you do not need a login there.
Old 19th May 2015, 10:32   #3345

Ironhide, the osm.org site is primarily for the map data, everything else is addons.

The routing engine itself is a separate open source project called Project OSRM. You have the via routing available there.

OSM is still not end user ready yet, since every tool and application is fragmented, unlike Google which is one big integrated engine. We'll get there for sure very soon, based on how fast all these tools have been developing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks