Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 10:05   #3361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, it is more or less in line with what I do. Some variations - I do not have Garmin Express Installed.

Also, can you elaborate on - i.Garmin USB Driver, and ii. NPAP stuff.

Some of the device manufacturers have their own USB drivers (eg. Samsung) so that device specific software becomes easier and do not get affected by Windows O'S. I could connect without this Garmin specific USB driver, it is optional I'd think. Enabling NPAP is Chrome specific; it is Net scape plug in and is being phased out by all browsers. In Chrome it is optional but will go away completely soon. Unless Garmin adopts new browser standard soon, they will hang loose. Type in Chrome address bar chrome://flags and you will see many features. But be careful what you enable as some of them are unstable.

Cheers
Old 31st May 2015, 00:08   #3362
tez
BHPian

Sygic has launched India maps with HUD feature for around 2500 INR with lifetime updates. Planning to buy one. How are syguc maps
Old 31st May 2015, 07:33   #3363
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
Sygic has launched India maps with HUD feature for around 2500 INR with lifetime updates. Planning to buy one. How are syguc maps
Till a shot while back Sygic were MMI maps of the previous version. I am not too sure now. I hear they are now separate, but the internal dynamics may still be not really known.
Old 31st May 2015, 12:39   #3364
tez
BHPian

Have not found good reviews for mmi maps for android and garmin does not have android maps. Any other option for offline maps
Old 31st May 2015, 14:01   #3365
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Have not found good reviews for mmi maps for android and garmin does not have android maps. Any other option for offline maps
Haven't you yet tried Nokia Here? If not then I think thats where your search for offline maps will stop.
Old 31st May 2015, 15:50   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Till a shot while back Sygic were MMI maps of the previous version. I am not too sure now. I hear they are now separate, but the internal dynamics may still be not really known.
Quote:
I don't understand Sygic. Sometimes they say "free," sometimes they say "pay." Sometimes they seem to follow the Google-Play/Android custom of install-on-all-your-devices, sometimes they seem to imply that you can't. Whatever, like Flipkart, they always have a sale on: just the discount rates vary from time to time.

I have bought, initially India, then Singapore. At that time, the India map was MMI and incompatible with Sygics other maps: I had to keep two separate installations.

Later, I celebrated a new tablet with a whole-world edition of Sygic. Yesterday, I restored that purchase to a new phone.

Whole-world includes India. India maps are no longer separate and incompatible. How are the maps? Well, I prefer Google's maps, but Google doesn't give me permanent off-line map storage and navigation [yet]. Otherwise, they are ok. What I don't like about them is that the detail of small streets, etc, does not show until zoomed in past the point where I want to start recognising street patterns, or even seeing that an area is built up: Google will show you a village when Sygic is still showing crossroads.
Old 31st May 2015, 20:02   #3367
BHPian

Seek advice / guidance :

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2568. Have removed / deleted old waypoints from the device. But, whenever I comment the device via Bootcamp, the waypoints still show up. Google suggests to remove SQLite DB, under 'System' hidden folder, but that again the old waypoints show up still. Deleting from Bootcamp UI also does not work. Has anyone been able to solve the puzzle and remove unwanted waypoints?
Old 31st May 2015, 20:51   #3368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
Seek advice / guidance :
I have a Garmin Nuvi 2568. Have removed / deleted old waypoints from the device. But, whenever I comment the device via Bootcamp, the waypoints still show up. Google suggests to remove SQLite DB, under 'System' hidden folder, but that again the old waypoints show up still. Deleting from Bootcamp UI also does not work. Has anyone been able to solve the puzzle and remove unwanted waypoints?
I hope you are referring to Basecamp and not Bootcamp ?

On to your question:
The points appear back because, they are still there in the GPX folder of the device. Once you connect the device, once the Garmin drive mounts, look for the GPX folder. You can see current.gpx file, which gets loaded every time you boot the device. Hence earlier trip planners, waypoints which are stored will get loaded. If you delete this file, you can see, the waypoints wont show up again.

I always clear the unwanted waypoints. My source of waypoints is always on the PC and not on the device. After a drive, if I have added any points, I will edit them back to the source with the right nomenclature, so that its easy to read and assimilate while on the road. And once they have been re-edited, I load them back to the device, but only after cleaning up the previously installed points.

Last edited by ampere : 31st May 2015 at 20:53.
Old 1st June 2015, 07:18   #3369
BHPian

My bad - yes, it is the basecamp.

Thanks for the input. I had backed up the 'Archive' folder and left current.gpx as-is, assuming it may harm the setup. I as well prefer the same approach as you have suggested - maintain the waypoints in PC with the proper nomenclature.

Thanks again for the guidance.
Old 1st June 2015, 07:21   #3370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
Thanks for the input. I had backed up the 'Archive' folder and left current.gpx as-is, assuming it may harm the setup. I as well prefer the same approach as you have suggested - maintain the waypoints in PC with the proper nomenclature.
Please note current.gpx also contains track logs for the routes that you have recently covered. Only after the log goes over the sampled-point limit, the device will push the log to the archive folder. Hence before deleting the current.gpx, make sure, you import the logs.
Old 6th June 2015, 19:09   #3371
Senior - BHPian

Question to Garmin gurus! I currently have an antique GPS unit (Nuvi 205w) which is serving me well after 4 yrs of ownership. However, one BIG drawback is that I cannot import .kml or .gpx files for routes planned in Google Maps. I have to manually enter waypoints. Can someone please suggest one of the latest Garmin models which will allow me to do so and not be too heavy on the pocket?

Thanks in advance...
Old 6th June 2015, 19:44   #3372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Question to Garmin gurus! I currently have an antique GPS unit (Nuvi 205w) which is serving me well after 4 yrs of ownership. However, one BIG drawback is that I cannot import .kml or .gpx files for routes planned in Google Maps. I have to manually enter waypoints.
Welcome to the club!

Even I had the 205W. (Sorry I still have it). Sensed this problem two years back and moved on the next model.

Quote:
Can someone please suggest one of the latest Garmin models which will allow me to do so and not be too heavy on the pocket?
Garmin 24XX is basic model which can support routes as in form of a GPX file. In the specifications you should look for trip planner support and 1000 points/100 routes. As regards to prices, I think in Amazon, they range from 100-150$. Look for good deals and you may be able to get one for 100-110$.
Old 6th June 2015, 21:56   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Garmin 24XX is basic model which can support routes as in form of a GPX file. In the specifications you should look for trip planner support and 1000 points/100 routes. As regards to prices, I think in Amazon, they range from 100-150$. Look for good deals and you may be able to get one for 100-110$.
Thanks Amp. Essentially what I am looking for is:

a) I chart a route in GMaps / GEearth
b) Save it as KML and convert it to GPX
c) Import it to the Garmin unit
d) Tell the Garmin that this is the route I wish to take

Will the 24xx let me do this?

Thanks...
Old 6th June 2015, 22:03   #3374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
a) I chart a route in GMaps / GEearth
b) Save it as KML and convert it to GPX
c) Import it to the Garmin unit
d) Tell the Garmin that this is the route I wish to take
Will the 24xx let me do this?
In theory it should work. Some pointers:

- The route in GPX will be a collection of waypoints.
- The waypoints in Google will be a Lat/Long point. I hope the point is congruent to the map you have in the device.

What I do is the following:
- The maps that I have in the device, I have also got them installed on the PC (In Basecamp).
- So if I need to create a route, I create them in base camp on the same map content on the PC.
- I check out Google maps and create an equivalent waypoint on basecamp.
- And then create a route which I transfer to the device.
- This way I have it all congruent between device and PC.
- And yes the route feature works. (What I have is the 2455 LMT).
- I have been using it in the mode I described earlier for almost 2 years now
Old 6th June 2015, 22:36   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What I do is the following:
Amp - I have not used basecamp and hence, not sure about its usage. Would it not suffice if I have a GPX file for the route I want to take for my drive (irrespective of how I came up with it)?

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2015 at 22:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks