Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 14:19   #3526
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I posted this on the Sygic thread, but I see no harm in posting it here.

Sygic has made two of their paid features free for existing users.

http://www.sygic.com/blog/free-gifts...gps-navigation

I would love to hear feedback from power users of these features.
Old 5th May 2016, 22:21   #3527
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Interesting article: Death by GPS

Cautions about over-reliance on navigation devices.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:03   #3528
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post
Hi All,

I just bought a navigation system MapmyIndia(Lx140WS) on saturday.

I used it within bangalore on saturday and sunday...i am not very impressed with the way it guides me. it also heats up very badly.

I have not yet used it outside bangalore..i am planning a trip to Chikmagalur and kerala during Xmas and newyear holidays.

i am in a dilemma whether to keep this device or return it......experts please advice me your suggestion.

Thanks,
Alex
Hi All,

Finally i traveled close to 1200 kms spanning three states(Karnataka, Tamilnadu & Kerala) with this device(MapmyIndia(Lx140WS).

I am impressed with the device on highways, it guided me perfectly - only once or twice device got confused because there were road construction going on and i had to take a deviation.

Voice navigation is not that great, but i tend to ignore that.

I recommend this basic device for basic use, if you don't have too much of expectation. It serves the purpose. You can depend of this device to travel on unknown highways

Alex
Old 10th August 2016, 08:10   #3529
BHPian

Apologies if this was answered earlier in the thread, I purchased a nuvi 55lm (lifetime maps) India model last week. In trying to update the maps, I followed the steps as per information provided through pages in this thread:

1. Installed USB driver.
2. Installed GCB plugin for IE
3. Installed Garmin Express, registered my product, got a confirmation email for the same.
4. Performed a software upgrade to version 3.00.
5. Now on to the map upgrade to 2016.20, Garmin Express failed to recognize new updates. Fyi, my navigator came installed with version 2015.30.

I can login to garmin.co.in and view my registered device. However; when I click on http://www.garmin.co.in/mapupdate on IE, it says the following:

System Information
Garmin Communicator Plugin is not installed.
Or the version installed is outdated.
Download and install the latest Garmin Communicator Plugin.

The above information is incorrect, the plugin is installed correctly on my PC.

Please help me with the steps to upgrade the map. Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 10th August 2016, 08:22   #3530

Mr Bean, I recently updated my device (I have same as yours) and documented the steps. You can ignore step 1. Hope this helps

Step 1: Connect the Nuvi to Garmin Express on Mac. This will update the software on the device
Use Safari (clear history) for steps 2 to 6
Step 2: Login to my.garmin.com
Step 3: On another browser tab open www.garmin.co.in/mapupdate
Step 4: Select India and click anywhere, it will take you to another page and ask you to install GCP plugin.
Step 5: Click on the hyperlink but it detects GCP already there. If we are lucky, the link to the map download will be visible. Try multiple times and clear browser history if required.
Step 6: If step 5 works, download the map. Copy the unlock code

For following steps
Step 7: Copy the downloaded exe (Map) on to a Windows system
Step 8: Connect Nuvi to Windows system in USB mode
Step 9: Extract the exe to a local folder
Step 10: Run the Copy2exe (obtained from Step 9, else google and download)
Step 11: It will check if there is sufficient space on Garmin device. If not, clear out some of the files such as voices and guides
Step 12: Maps will be installed to latest version
Old 10th August 2016, 08:55   #3531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The above information is incorrect, the plugin is installed correctly on my PC.
Not sure whats going wrong here, but Garmin site on the browser does recognize the connected device. Please check on a different (Chrome?). It has worked for me in the past. In fact I bought City Navigator India maps and down loaded the same onto the device via the browser. So, it does work.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:17   #3532
BANNED

I have found Garmin Express a pain and prefer working without it. Also, there are some issued od NPAP on Chrome and Firefox. One ting I found was that with version 2015.20 it will not update to 2015.30 since the maps were essentially the same.

Now I have switched to Mac so will have to figure things out. Any suggestions will be a great help. I am just feeling silly and do not wish to use my Win10 device.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:36   #3533
BHPian

Google Maps has some new features rolling out,
1.WiFi Only Mode
2.Save selected area to SD Card for offline usage

Cool features.

I use Google Maps and find it extremely useful and easy to use with lots of options.

More info here https://maps.googleblog.com/2016/08/...-with-new.html
Old 10th August 2016, 14:47   #3534

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have found Garmin Express a pain and prefer working without it. Also, there are some issued od NPAP on Chrome and Firefox. One ting I found was that with version 2015.20 it will not update to 2015.30 since the maps were essentially the same.

Now I have switched to Mac so will have to figure things out. Any suggestions will be a great help. I am just feeling silly and do not wish to use my Win10 device.
I have posted the steps I followed, using both Mac (to update device) and Win10 to download the maps. Hope it helps.

Step 1: Connect the Nuvi to Garmin Express on Mac. This will update the software on the device
Use Safari (clear history) for steps 2 to 6
Step 2: Login to my.garmin.com
Step 3: On another browser tab open www.garmin.co.in/mapupdate
Step 4: Select India and click anywhere, it will take you to another page and ask you to install GCP plugin.
Step 5: Click on the hyperlink but it detects GCP already there. If we are lucky, the link to the map download will be visible. Try multiple times and clear browser history if required.
Step 6: If step 5 works, download the map. Copy the unlock code

For following steps
Step 8: Connect Nuvi to Windows system in USB mode
Step 9: Extract the exe to a local folder
Step 10: Run the Copy2exe (obtained from Step 9, else google and download)
Step 11: It will check if there is sufficient space on Garmin device. If not, clear out some of the files such as voices and guides
Old 12th August 2016, 08:13   #3535
J.Ravi

My phone got a new updated software for NaviMaps app day-before-yesterday and new May 2016 maps yesterday.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20160812080216085.jpeg

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20160811212114582.jpeg

Old 16th August 2016, 23:45   #3536
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Apologies if this is a repeat post. Is there any app which can simply display the speed limit for the area, and whether I'm going above it? I recall sygic used to have this capability earlier (paid version) esp while navigating. I don't want something which requires data to work, thus saving phone battery - else I can simply hook up my old S3 or Galaxy Nexus for this purpose. Thanks in advance.

The rationale is to be able to avoid the hefty fines under the new MVA.
Old 17th August 2016, 09:55   #3537
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post

For following steps
Thanks but by the looks of it we need a Win system as well. In other words get the Maps using Mac (avoid all the various browsers issues, one has to revert to IE) and then use Windows to actually install!!
Old 17th August 2016, 10:51   #3538

Yes as either system by itself doesn't do the job well enough.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:02   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

Apologies if this is a repeat post. Is there any app which can simply display the speed limit for the area, and whether I'm going above it?
HERE offline maps, bottom left corner. It displays the speed limit for that area and your speed beside it. If you exceed the speed limit by more than 5 kmph, your speeds start blinking in red!

HERE maps update about twice a month, so most known routes are well covered IMHO.

It also has a separate provision for motorcycle-only routes as well. I use it all the time I'm in areas with poor signal reception and it has been fairly faithful to me.
Old 17th August 2016, 14:27   #3540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks but by the looks of it we need a Win system as well. In other words get the Maps using Mac (avoid all the various browsers issues, one has to revert to IE) and then use Windows to actually install!!
I saw an App in Apple Store - GarminWebupdater adn have downloaded it. Does that have no role to play? Why I am worried a bit is that I lost my hard disc in the Win10 system around Christmas so am stuck with a what one may say, Garminless system. I do remember when I did the last update I had issues with Garmin login, tried to change the password, but then ended up using my old password. So I am not even aware of my login details, apart from the id there. remember there are three places to be addressed, Garmin.co.in, garmin.com, and garmin.com.tw!

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th August 2016 at 14:28.

Most Viewed