Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 18:18   #526
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Always go for tall tubular battery compared to flat plate or SMF battery. Though initial cost is higher it gives complete peace of mind provided initial set up is tuned perfectly. Last year I got 150 Ah tall tubular battery + 850VA sine wave inverter for 12000+5000 INR.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:24   #527
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Last year I got 150 Ah tall tubular battery + 850VA sine wave inverter for 12000+5000 INR.
What brand of battery?
Old 27th June 2012, 20:03   #528
BHPian

Amaron Quanta is known to be a good one. Service differs from area to area. So do check on that.
Old 27th June 2012, 20:37   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What brand of battery?
JC battery coimbatore. 36 months + 24 months pro rata.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 1st July 2012, 20:25   #530
Senior - BHPian

Guys one query:
The power situation is so bad in our native place that the inverter simply does not get charged up. Dad is thinking of installing a solar panel to charge the battery. But I am not sure if solar panel can provide the current needed for charging.
Any inputs?
Old 1st July 2012, 20:47   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys one query:
The power situation is so bad in our native place that the inverter simply does not get charged up. Dad is thinking of installing a solar panel to charge the battery. But I am not sure if solar panel can provide the current needed for charging.
Any inputs?
Solar panel will be expensive and I don't think it will be able to charge an inverter + other complexities. Why don't you get a small genset which will power up your house as well as charge the battery at the same time?
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:47   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Guys one query:
Any inputs?
Luminous has an solar powered option as a standard product - you may want to check on that
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:27   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys one query:
Any inputs?
Even I would suggest getting a generator to back up the inverter. That is what most of the industries where power is critical do.

1. Calculate the total power required in the house hold - "H" kva
2. If the inverter is "I" kva

then get a generator which is "H" + "I" kva.

You can get a controller which will -
. When power goes the inverter is switched on.
. Once the inverter battery is down to 15%, generator switches on (and the inverter switches off) and supplies power to both the inverter battery and the house hold.

Hence for short term outages the generator is never used unless the inverter battery is down, and for long outages you have a generator supplying the power. You can even program the generator to start within 15 minutes of the power cut, thus preserving the inverter charge.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:54   #534
BHPian

Hey. Wanted a bit of advise.

I've been using the APC HI800SQ model inverter with a 130AH Fujiya Lite battery for about 2 years now. Back up duration has been dropping and I'm on the look out for a new battery.

An APC rep advised me against a battery with a rating higher than 120AH saying that the inverter won't be able to charge those properly. I'm tempted to believe him; but wanted to confirm with you guys and also get suggestions on batteries that you think may be appropriate for this inverter.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:02   #535
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
JC battery coimbatore. 36 months + 24 months pro rata.

Regards,
Vijay
Are there no reliable local brands not available in Bombay - the price difference between local brands and famous ones seems to be considerable.

Any one has any experience with local batteries in Bombay?
Old 7th July 2012, 10:36   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I've been using the APC inverter with a 130AH Fujiya Lite battery for about 2 years now. Back up duration has been dropping and I'm on the look out for a new battery.

An APC rep advised me against a battery with a rating higher than 120AH saying that the inverter won't be able to charge those properly. I'm tempted to believe him; but wanted to confirm with you guys and also get suggestions on batteries that you think may be appropriate for this inverter.
I use the APC BI850 SINE.
In mine there is a switch behind the UPS for setting the battery capacity.
The charging current increases based on the battery capacity.
Mine supports from 80AH to 180AH.

You can check your user-manual for the details.

Here are some photos (cropped) for your help:
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-dsc_2385.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-dsc_2383.jpg  

Old 7th July 2012, 10:54   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there no reliable local brands not available in Bombay - the price difference between local brands and famous ones seems to be considerable.

Any one has any experience with local batteries in Bombay?
Check Rocket tubular batteries with warranty
Old 7th July 2012, 11:00   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I use the APC BI850 SINE.
In mine there is a switch behind the UPS for setting the battery capacity.
The charging current increases based on the battery capacity.
Mine supports from 80AH to 180AH.

You can check your user-manual for the details.

Here are some photos (cropped) for your help:
Yours is a sine wave as against square of mine. It also is a better and more recent model if I'm not wrong. I don't have that switch on mine.

I retained the inverter and purchased a Prestolite 110AH for Rs. 5,100 (Rs. 6,900 - Rs. 1,800 for old one). Exide is going for a premium and I didn't see the point. Would you say that I got a good bargain ?
Old 7th July 2012, 11:34   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hey. Wanted a bit of advise.

I've been using the APC HI800SQ model inverter with a 130AH Fujiya Lite battery for about 2 years now. Back up duration has been dropping and I'm on the look out for a new battery.

I have a 800VA Luminous inverter with 150aH Exide battery. Before this battery it was having a 130aH Amaron battery. So I too upgraded to 150aH battery and it's working fine since last three years.

You could have also done that but as you have made the purchase no issues then.

More aH means more back up time and it's nothing like inverter will not be able to charge higher aH batteries, it's just that it will take little more time and that's it.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:44   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have a 800VA Luminous inverter with 150aH Exide battery. Before this battery it was having a 130aH Amaron battery. So I too upgraded to 150aH battery and it's working fine since last three years.

You could have also done that but as you have made the purchase no issues then.

More aH means more back up time and it's nothing like inverter will not be able to charge higher aH batteries, it's just that it will take little more time and that's it.
I agree, more AH equals longer backup. Rs. 5,100 for a 110AH and Rs. 9,200 for a 150AH. I could get ~ 2 x 110AH's for the price of 1 x 150AH. It's obvious that there's an unjustified spike between <110AH and >110AH batteries.

Most Viewed