Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2024, 02:32   #1711
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Battery gurus, is it ok to run the inverter in UPS mode always? How does one decide about the mode to keep the inverter in? I have read about the basic differences like switching time, battery cycles etc but haven't got a clear idea about it yet. Will keeping the inverter in UPS mode deplete the battery life sooner? If so by how much percentage?

And if the inverter is kept in W-UPS/Normal/Eco mode then does it cause TV and Router to reset during the transition?
Quoting from Quora:

Quote:
Eco Mode – In Eco Mode Voltage is in unregulated form and the voltage range is kept between 95V to 290V which is ideal for the regular appliances like Fan, LED Bulbs, Tube lights

UPS Mode – In UPS mode voltage is in regulated form and the voltage is kept between 180V – 260V. This mode is ideal while running the sensitive appliances like computer, Hair Drier, Microwave

Eco mode is useful in case you want to save energy, and on the other hand, UPS mode keeps the device always running and avoids voltage failure.
I always keep my inverter in Eco mode and has no issues with any electrical devices like TV / Router etc. High powered devices like Microwave / Induction etc are not on Inverter circuit in my apartment.

Basic difference I felt was:

In Eco mode, current directly flows to the circuit and during power cut inverter switches to battery in a fraction of second.

In UPS mode, battery is always connected and charged so there is 0 delay in switching. However there are no electric devices I am having which turns off in Eco mode.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 13:45   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
How does one decide about the mode to keep the inverter in? I have read about the basic differences like switching time, battery cycles etc but haven't got a clear idea about it yet. Will keeping the inverter in UPS mode deplete the battery life sooner? If so by how much percentage?

And if the inverter is kept in W-UPS/Normal/Eco mode then does it cause TV and Router to reset during the transition?
There seems to be some standing misconception about the inverter mode.
In a normal Line-interactive Inverter, the UPS mode in a home inverter switches into UPS mode ( it starts the inverter and supplies the connected load drawing power from the battery) when the input power:
1. Fails completely
2. The mains power is not within its rated specification: >250 V or < 200 V ( don't shoot me if your mileage varies. Every manufacturer has his own specification and the tolerance is about 5 %)

When you turn on the inverter to Eco/Normal/Standard mode, it will not bother with the voltage condition and only turn on the inverter when the power fails completely.

You would be better off using the UPS mode as it protects your equipment better.

But when you have a Always on /Online double Conversion UPS, it is a different matter. The UPS is always producing its supply at the specified Volt and supplies the load - clean stable supply. It draws its power from the mains when there is a mains supply and works off the battery when the supply fails. These UPS are more expensive and weigh more as they have 2 different transformers.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 14:48   #1713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There seems to be some standing misconception about the inverter mode.

... ... ... when you have a Always on /Online double Conversion UPS, it is a different matter. The UPS is always producing its supply at the specified Volt and supplies the load - clean stable supply. It draws its power from the mains when there is a mains supply and works off the battery when the supply fails. These UPS are more expensive and weigh more as they have 2 different transformers.
Thanks. I knew this was wrong, but was waiting for someone better qualified to reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Quoting from Quora:
In UPS mode, battery is always connected and charged so there is 0 delay in switching. However there are no electric devices I am having which turns off in Eco mode.
Only if you have the more expensive always-on-battery type of inverter/UPS. As I understand it, these are only bought to power sensitive electronics eg computer/medical equipment.

Maybe that is what the Quora author was writing about; maybe it was just bad-quality information. I am suspicious, as they have included hair drier under sensitive equipment!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 16:04   #1714
Team-BHP Support

^^

These are usually called online UPS, used where even a short switchover time is unacceptable. All regular UPS needs time to switch to battery, though in milliseconds, this can result in tripping some of sensitive electronic equipment.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 22:08   #1715
BHPian

Just checked with official Luminous video. UPS mode gives regulated output voltage while Eco mode bypass output voltage. More details on the clip below.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx7VvAnhT...feature=shared
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 11:53   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Been using regular tubular batteries for the inverter at home and was thinking of changing them to the maintenance free models (150ah).

Basically, getting lazy to fill up water in the batteries

How long do these closed batteries last for?
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks