Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 13:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you get a Sukam Fully Sealed Maintenance Free Battery, it is the best for indoor use.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How exactly do i conclude by looking at the float that the inverter battery needs a top-up? There are two red lines and the indicator of the float is currently somewhere in between.

Between, the battery is a SF Sonic, and was bought in August 2009.
The SF Sonic battery PBX1500 which I recently got installed a couple of days back has just one red line and is to be used as an indicator for topping up. I could not see the second/upper red line. The float is red in colour. I was advised by the dealer that this battery would need topping once a year and an inspection every half year. I hope this is correct. Can any one confirm.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:29   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Why don't you get a Sukam Fully Sealed Maintenance Free Battery, it is the best for indoor use.
It seems Sukam has temporarily halted SMF production and there are no SMFs in stock.

Over the weekend I have received the following prices from various dealers (plus a discount for tranding in my old battery):
Sukam 160AH Semi Tubular - Rs. 9000
Base 160AH Tubular - Rs. 9000
Amaron Shield (Semi Tub) 160AH - Rs. 9000

All these brands seem to be reputed and Team-Bhpians seem to have good feedbacks on all. Now I have two questions:
1. Are the prices OK?
2. Is there any difference in quantity of lead fumes from Tubular and Semi tubular.

PS: I am not too much worried about the higher maintenance in Tubular as I have been filling water in my normal lead acid battery till now.

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2010, 17:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
It seems Sukam has temporarily halted SMF production and there are no SMFs in stock.

Over the weekend I have received the following prices from various dealers (plus a discount for tranding in my old battery):
Sukam 160AH Semi Tubular - Rs. 9000
Base 160AH Tubular - Rs. 9000
Amaron Shield (Semi Tub) 160AH - Rs. 9000

All these brands seem to be reputed and Team-Bhpians seem to have good feedbacks on all. Now I have two questions:
1. Are the prices OK?
2. Is there any difference in quantity of lead fumes from Tubular and Semi tubular.

PS: I am not too much worried about the higher maintenance in Tubular as I have been filling water in my normal lead acid battery till now.

Thanks!
You know I got the same story when i set out to buy the SMF battery till I went to the company's retail outlet in the Sahara Mall in DLF They had the entire range of SMFs in stock and I got mine right there and then. Use the link below and contact their Bangalore office, I am sure you will be able to get the SMF in no time. >>> SU-KAM <<< Leading manufacturer of Power Products in India, Only Power back up company manufacturing world class UPS, Home UPS, Online UPS, Inverters, Batteries, Battery Chargers, Solar Products

I would recommend that you stick with either the SMF(based on ease of availability) or to the Shield. The price for the batteries look high to me but then my last purchase was almost an year and a half ago. As for the Shield you can get the same product at competitive prices under the name Xenon using the following link.
Xenon ::Battery::
Old 4th May 2010, 18:10   #95
Senior - BHPian

Folks my inverter battery drained out, there was a power cut for about 5+ hours. we might have used a tube lihge and a fan for not more then 20-30mins...

For sure there is a problem, what it could be?

CG 800VA inverter, 135ah tubular batt...
Old 5th May 2010, 13:26   #96
BHPian

Thanks Khoj. I did try the Amaron helpline and got the distributor names from them. Most are willing to give only at MRP (approx 9400Rs) - the one I listed is the best price I got. Let me check with the Sukam folks - I am planning to spend about 1500 Rs and get my inverter moved to the balcony so I do not have to be worried about fumes indoors - I will need to get a waterproof box as well to prevent rain water from damaging it - probably a plywood box with a polythene sheet or my old car cover on top :-).

Lohith, There was a post in the DIY section on how to check this - if you are afraid of lead fumes, you may want to get your Inverter / battery dealer to come and check it out. How old is your battery? - if it is over 4 years in all probability you need a new battery. Mine too had similar symptoms and in fact is so bad now that I have switched it off to prevent the annoying overload beep every time power went off - at best I can use one 11w CFL for about 30 min!

Last edited by hsejars : 5th May 2010 at 13:29.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:21   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
Thanks Khoj. I did try the Amaron helpline and got the distributor names from them. Most are willing to give only at MRP (approx 9400Rs) - the one I listed is the best price I got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The price for the batteries look high to me but then my last purchase was almost an year and a half ago. As for the Shield you can get the same product at competitive prices under the name Xenon using the following link.
Xenon ::Battery::
Xenon batteries are costlier than Amaron Shield. The difference is approx Rs.400/- per battery.

There seems to be a huge demand for the inverter batteries and most stockists are awaiting stocks.

Yes, Amaron shield, the current price is around Rs.9400/-, but if you go through a Dealer, he may be willing to part with some discount.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

Guys want to know this urgently.

My parents are using a 800 VA intvertor with 150mh single battery since last 2 years (Su-Kam). These days the backup being provided by the invertor has become very less.

On enquiring a few battery dealers some suggested to change the battery to a new one - or better still a newer Tubular battery.

My question is, will replacing the battery improve the invertor backup ? Will tubular be a better bet? Does tubular battery take more time to charge?

The backup needed is for 3 fans and 1 light for 3-4 hours daily.

Another option they are giving is to make changes to the single battery invertor so that it can be operated on 2 batteries and so buy one more battery.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th May 2010 at 11:37.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

Got Sukam Falcon 800VA / 12V, with Exide IN1350Plus 135AH battery for 16,500Rs.

This included the tray and the labor. Had to shell out 220Rs for few more wires and a plug point.

The battery is pre-charged from factory and started its work right from the time they finished installation. Bangalore EB ensure that we got to test it 3 more times later. Each time the switch over was immediate. We actually have to keep an eye out to the panel to know if we are running on main power or battery (we have at the max 2 tubes and a fan running).

Hope the performance is as is for a long time.

And yes, since the battery was pre-charged, the installers goofed up by not checking the water level! Got myself a bottle of distilled water and tanked up. Took all of 1.5 liters.
Old 9th May 2010, 00:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Has the inverter and batteries rates gone up ?

@Happywheels , 16.5 K for with 135 AH battery is quite high side .Should have been 10 -12 K .
Old 9th May 2010, 00:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

This was the price range that I got on enquiry with most of the dealers.

I believe the price you are quoting are that of 6 months to a year back. Isn't it?

EDIT:

Black12RR: The price I quoted was for the entire kit. Sorry about my post, which make it seems like I paid 16.5 just for the battery.

The whole deal was for that amount, which included the installation, tray, battery & UPS (seems like this is not referred to as an inverter!)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 9th May 2010 at 00:25.
Old 9th May 2010, 00:18   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys want to know this urgently.

My parents are using a 800 VA intvertor with 150mh single battery since last 2 years (Su-Kam). These days the backup being provided by the invertor has become very less.

On enquiring a few battery dealers some suggested to change the battery to a new one - or better still a newer Tubular battery.

My question is, will replacing the battery improve the invertor backup ? Will tubular be a better bet? Does tubular battery take more time to charge?

The backup needed is for 3 fans and 1 light for 3-4 hours daily.

Another option they are giving is to make changes to the single battery invertor so that it can be operated on 2 batteries and so buy one more battery.
I second what the battery dealers told you - your battery seems to be on its last legs. To make sure, get the charging checked.

If you have to replace, get a new Tubular battery - they are better suited to deep discharge cycles and last longer. Exide makes a 135AH one that's about 12K with a 42 month warranty.

There's another brand, forgetting the name - I chose it over the Exide based on my battery guy's recommendation. It is a 170 AH tubular battery for 12.5K with the same warranty terms (42 months). This one was HEAVY - all of 72 Kilos

Last edited by CrackedHead : 9th May 2010 at 00:21.
Old 9th May 2010, 01:44   #103
BHPian

@DCEite

if you want to consider, give Base Terminal's Basetuff 16000 a look too.It is 160 AH tubular battery and the invoice price in bangalore was 9891/-. I got a discount of 1200/-for my old 135 AH battery plus a dealor discount of 10% when i got this one last year in Oct.

It has a 24 month free replacement warranty + 24 month Pro rata replacement warranty. The back up is quite good and the battery weighs arounds 55kgs.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

And yes, since the battery was pre-charged, the installers goofed up by not checking the water level! Got myself a bottle of distilled water and tanked up. Took all of 1.5 liters.
A new battery should not need to be topped up... and 1.5 litres?!? Either you have overfilled it or Exide even worse than we thought.

Whats the manuf. date? Maybe its old, got discharged, and the dealer recharged it leading to some water loss. But even then I cannot imagine it needing 1.5 litres.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Got Luminous 150aH tubular battery - cost 8000. And old battery went for 1600 bucks.
So far, backup has been very good. Touchwood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks