Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 18:24   #331
Senior - BHPian

Rip

Our Inverter battery, a Amaron Shield 160 Ah, died after a service life of over 5 - 6 years. Unfortunately, water was not checked in the last 1-2 years, and had dried up, else it may have lasted longer. It was used with a Su-Kam inverter.

Now have to replace it asap. Inclined to go for Amaron again, and the dealer tells me they have a fully tubular 150 Ah battery. He says don't go for higher rated one as given daily power cuts, it won't get fully charged, and wont last long. He further says inverter batteries should be fully cycled at least once in 2 months, else they develop memory effect if discharges are shallow. Hmmmm... taken with a pinch of salt, that.

Anyway, does anybody thing there are better options currently in the market?
Old 11th October 2011, 19:06   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Further to the above, the dealer says there are 2 options for tubular - Tall tubular and short tubular. The tall tubular is more expensive, has longer warranty, and hence I guess its supposed to last longer. Could somebody in the know throw light on the differences between these two types please?
Old 11th October 2011, 19:52   #333
Senior - BHPian

^^The taller batteries are recommended to me as they offer longer warranty and therefore peace of mind. Also they are reported to be more forgiving of neglect/abuse. But they won't fit in to the inverter trolley. So I am still mulling over it.

These are the quotes I have got so far;

From Prestolite dealer:
a) Prestolite F150-12v-150 AH (not tubular) Rs 9702 - Rs 1000 for old battery. Warranty 24 months full replacement + 12 months pro-rata.

b) Supreme Tubular (not tall) 150 AH-12v Rs 10618 - Rs 1000 for old batt. 36 months full replacement warranty.

From Amaron dealer :
a)Amaron Shield 170 AH Rs 10584 - Rs 1200, Warranty 18 months + 6 months pro-rata.

b) Amaron 150 AH short tubular Rs 11595 - Rs 1200 Warranty 24 + 12

c) Amaron tall tubular 150 AH Rs 13930 - Rs 1200, warranty 36+12

d) Hi-Power Imp 150 AH tall tubular Rs 15882 - Rs 1200, warranty 42 + 18.

Last edited by Gansan : 11th October 2011 at 19:55.
Old 11th October 2011, 20:18   #334
Senior - BHPian

^^^Longer warranty yes, but significantly more expensive. Are they worth it?

Your Amaron dealer has quoted higher prices. These are the quotes I got today (net prices, after returning old battery) -

Amaron short tubular 150 Ah - Rs. 8,500
Amaron tall tubular 150 Ah - Rs. 10,700 (but currently not in stock with him)

Any comments/advice anyone?

Last edited by Raccoon : 11th October 2011 at 20:21.
Old 11th October 2011, 22:18   #335
Senior - BHPian

Got a new Inverter today, here's the break-up:
1. Microtek 860VA - Rs.3,900
2. Microtek Digipower 160 Ah Battery - Rs.8,600

Both Inverter and Battery come with 2 years Warranty. The other batter, Microtek Digipower 140 Ah was for Rs. 7,800.

Can anybody enlighten me on the following-
Microtek has batteries under Digipower Brand and Okaya Brand. What's the difference between these two in terms of Branding and other aspects?
Old 12th October 2011, 02:00   #336
Senior - BHPian

^^^Dunno about difference with other brands, but have heard that Okaya makes pretty crappy batteries. Has anybody else used them here?
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 07:56   #337
Senior - BHPian

I got the inverter checked by an inverter mfg/service set-up in my area. He informed me the charging current was set at 12 amps/11.8 V, with a cut off at 16V. That is why my batteries were giving up in 2 years.He says the charging current should be set according to the batteries we buy. For household batteries (Invared, Amaron shield etc) it should be 8 amps only. For the big tubular ones it should be a little higher.

He says the best household battery is Exide FL series which costs ~ Rs 9K for 100 AH. The tall tubular one is what he recommends for 150 AH and costs ~ Rs 14K. But then I will need to buy a bigger trolley for Rs 1K, after exchanging my old trolley.

I have told him to install a separate circuit for full charge cut-off, meantime I will decide the battery to be supplied in a couple of days.
Old 16th October 2011, 08:47   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I got the inverter checked by an inverter mfg/service set-up in my area. He informed me the charging current was set at 12 amps/11.8 V, with a cut off at 16V. That is why my batteries were giving up in 2 years.He says the charging current should be set according to the batteries we buy. For household batteries (Invared, Amaron shield etc) it should be 8 amps only. For the big tubular ones it should be a little higher.
I have told him to install a separate circuit for full charge cut-off, meantime I will decide the battery to be supplied in a couple of days.
Where do we set this charging current on inverter, say sukam smiley sine wave inverter?
Old 16th October 2011, 13:50   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The charging current for maximum life is 20 hour rate, that is it should be 1/20 of the AH capacity. So for
. 100AH it should be 5A
. 150 AH it should be 7.5A
. for 200 AH it should be 10A

Many chargers are voltage controlled, hence charge at excessive rates initially. Better chargers have
. Constant rate tuned to the battery capacity
. Reduce the current to "Trickle Charge" once the battery is fully charged.
. Cut off should be at 2.3V/Cell, that is below 14V, ideally at 13.2V (2.2V/cell)

All the complaints of battery overheating and giving up for ghost in two years can be traced to high charging rate, both before and after the battery is fully charged.

In this day of cut throat competition, vendors cut corners where ever they can, which results in our loss in the long term, hence it is better to pay more for a better design, rather than pay less initially and pay through your nose later on. This is similar to paying more for a car that has good FE and low maintenance, rather than buying a much cheaper car which has bad FE and costs more to maintain.
Old 17th October 2011, 15:17   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Where do we set this charging current on inverter, say sukam smiley sine wave inverter?
I have no idea, it will be somewhere inside the inverter. The guy said mine (Usha Zentra) is a square wave inverter.
Old 17th October 2011, 20:22   #341
Senior - BHPian

I visited the inverter guy to fix up the battery, since he called and said the inverter will be ready tomorrow. He recommends the Exide EL tall tubular 150 AH battery @ Rs 14k. Says it is the best option and I can expect a service life of 5 - 10 years. According to him, the best option if one has to keep the inverter in the living room is the SMF battery as there will be no fumes. Next is the tall tubular, followed by short tubular, semi-tubular and flat plates, in that order.

The SMF battery (Yuasa) 150 AH costs about Rs 11.5k and will have a service life of around 2.5 years - anything more will be a bonus according to him! He says they will be a better though costly option if one is very conscious of health.

So I have to pay 14k for tubular battery, Rs 1.5k for it's trolley and can get a rebate of about Rs 1.5k for the old battery and trolley, net Rs 14k. Else buy a smf battery for 10.5k (after discount for old battery) and keep the old trolley. Since he does not have stock of either battery at present, I have a few days to decide!
Old 18th October 2011, 19:05   #342
BHPian

Quote:
I got the inverter checked by an inverter mfg/service set-up in my area. He informed me the charging current was set at 12 amps/11.8 V, with a cut off at 16V. That is why my batteries were giving up in 2 years.
Exactly what i had told before. Batteries just dont heat up unnecessarily. Tubular batteries, especially tower type, have better heat tolerance. a little heat can destroy smf and flat plate batteries. If possible go for tower type batteries, exide or amco.

buying tubular for 14 k and a life of 5 years is better than buying smf for 11 k with 2.5 year life

Last edited by Chipz : 18th October 2011 at 19:07.
Old 18th October 2011, 19:43   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
buying tubular for 14 k and a life of 5 years is better than buying smf for 11 k with 2.5 year life
Naturally! The SMF is being considered only because of a kid and three geriatric people in the house, else it will be tall tubular all the way!
Old 19th October 2011, 17:05   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Naturally! The SMF is being considered only because of a kid and three geriatric people in the house, else it will be tall tubular all the way!
It will be wiser to invest money in wiring and relocate the batteries to a well ventilated area, if such an area available. SMF is just not economic for home use, as yet.
Old 19th October 2011, 17:26   #345
Senior - BHPian

Inverter batteries last as long as 5-7 years easily provided water level is checked & topped up once in every six month.

My first inverter battery was an amaron shield and it lasted for 3 years even when I never topped it up in its entire life time.

Next time the battery dealer guided me for the maintenance of battery and my current Exide 150 aH battery will turn three year old in Jan and still going strong.

We just need to top it up once in every six month for long life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks