Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 12:10   #406
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

How about the below offer?
APC 850 VA sine 500W output with C10 rating 130AH tubular battery for Rs. 14,990 (with Trolley free).
Of course, the battery make is not available. Most likely APC battery. 3 Yrs warranty on Battery.

Seems the offer is only for B'lore however, the "Enquiry" link lets you to choose whatever city.

APC Inverter & APC UPS | APC Inverter Features, Prices & Offers

Is this a good deal? or too good to believe?

Last edited by iamswift : 26th December 2011 at 12:11.
Old 27th December 2011, 09:08   #407
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a Godrej 800VA UPS with a Prestolite battery which we bought 3 years ago.
The battery is now refusing to hold charge for very long and does not give more than half an hour backup.
So I'm planning to replace the battery. Any suggestions??
I just want maximum backup time. And an approximate cost for the same.

Thanks!!
Old 27th December 2011, 09:46   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
How about the below offer?
APC 850 VA sine 500W output with C10 rating 130AH tubular battery for Rs. 14,990 (with Trolley free).
Of course, the battery make is not available. Most likely APC battery. 3 Yrs warranty on Battery.

Seems the offer is only for B'lore however, the "Enquiry" link lets you to choose whatever city.

APC Inverter & APC UPS | APC Inverter Features, Prices & Offers

Is this a good deal? or too good to believe?
APC have not battery of their own and uses other well known brand batteries. You can also ask the dealer for battery options as they might by sourcing it locally.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:39   #409
BHPian

Guys:

I am getting Amaron 800 va pure sine wave inverter + Amaron 150 ah tall tubular battery + trolley for Rs 17000. Is this a good buy?.

I know people in this thread have been recommending both Amaron and Exide but I
get a feel (from what I read) that Exide is better than Amaron. Since it is a long term
investment, I just want to make sure I buy the best. What would be the difference between the two?.

Also, I currently have a sukam 600 va pure sine wave inverter and 130 ah amaron plate type battery. Off-late I see some deposits on the battery at the point where
the wires (from the inverter) are connected for charging. Is this normal?. If not is it
a problem with the charger or battery?. If either of them (or both) are defective, I
might as well replace these.

Sorry for too many questions, just wanted to make an informed decision.

Thank you.
Old 28th December 2011, 15:37   #410
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a good deal.

Regarding the batteries per me the picture is like this

Amaron is the better product &

Exide the stronger brand.

As for the deposits on the terminals AFAIK these are salt? deposits which are a result of the ionisation process. Those technically inclined will be able to explain in detail. This is normal and nothing unusual though it is best to keep the terminals clean. You may use a fine grade emery paper to clean the same and then provide a light coating of petroleum jelly on the terminals to avoid the recurrence of the same OR switch to SMF batteries to banish the same permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Guys:

I am getting Amaron 800 va pure sine wave inverter + Amaron 150 ah tall tubular battery + trolley for Rs 17000. Is this a good buy?.

I know people in this thread have been recommending both Amaron and Exide but I
get a feel (from what I read) that Exide is better than Amaron. Since it is a long term
investment, I just want to make sure I buy the best. What would be the difference between the two?.

Also, I currently have a sukam 600 va pure sine wave inverter and 130 ah amaron plate type battery. Off-late I see some deposits on the battery at the point where
the wires (from the inverter) are connected for charging. Is this normal?. If not is it
a problem with the charger or battery?. If either of them (or both) are defective, I
might as well replace these.

Sorry for too many questions, just wanted to make an informed decision.

Thank you.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 17:35   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
APC have not battery of their own and uses other well known brand batteries. You can also ask the dealer for battery options as they might by sourcing it locally.
APC gets batteries from OEM suppliers and then uses a proprietary connector between the battery and the UPS module. Excepting models which support external batteries, the UPS comes bundled with the battery. If you Google you will find how to use the existing APC connector with other batteries, when you have to replace the batteries.

Normally, within warranty period, ACP just replaces the whole UPS, batteries and all.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:02   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
APC gets batteries from OEM suppliers and then uses a proprietary connector between the battery and the UPS module. Excepting models which support external batteries, the UPS comes bundled with the battery. If you Google you will find how to use the existing APC connector with other batteries, when you have to replace the batteries.

Normally, within warranty period, ACP just replaces the whole UPS, batteries and all.
I been using APC for the last 5 years now and IIRC , it came with Perstolite and got replaced to Amaron by APC when the first battery got kaput.

Didnt check the connector part.
Old 9th January 2012, 23:36   #413
BHPian

Replaced 2 X 75AH Exide SMFs with 2 X 100AH Amaron Quanta SMFs. Paid 13K after buyback of old batteries. Not sure whether I got a good deal. Curiously, 2 days have passed since I got the new batteries installed, and power hasn't gone even once. How am I supposed to test them?
Old 10th January 2012, 15:36   #414
BHPian

may sound silly, but what is a 'tubular' battery?

Is it one of those that are sealed?
or those that need distilled water refills and regular servicing?

We earlier had the refill / support type and they served us well.
Then we had one of those closed ones (our electrician supplied a non-branded one) and they didnt last beyond 6 months and he replaced it once and then didnt pick up the phone. hence thinking of getting one of those that require distilled water in order not to have frequent replacements.

Have got two quotes and both have offered 'tubular batteries'.

Also, tho I have specifically asked for branded names, they have given quotes for
Festrolite
Digi Power
Okaya, and
Venlak
(Exide is the only name that I recognise)

Which of these other brands are acceptable?

Last edited by Wheeliej : 10th January 2012 at 15:38.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:44   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
may sound silly, but what is a 'tubular' battery?
There are basically two types of plates in a lead acid battery. These hold the active compound - lead alloy.
. Flat plate batteries, as the name suggests have flat plates with a rubber/plastic grid, where the active material is filled
. Tubular plate - here the material is held in a tubular instead of flat plate.

The reason that tubular batteries last longer is
. The material is held on the inner surface. So if some of the material does fall out (normal with age and deep discharge), it does not create an internal short, as would happen in flat plate batteries.
. As these are used mostly in industrial environment, they are built more rugged.

Figure 6. *Typical construction of a tubular plate
http://standby-energy.com/linked/con...ne%20cells.pdf
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 19:10   #416
BHPian

My Xenon 160AH battery from Amara Raja died exactly after 30 months (warranty was for 18 months) in-spite of regular maintenance.
I have replace it with Exide Mega-inva 150AH (warranty is 36 months) is costing Rs 10,300 after exchange of the old battery.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:22   #417
Senior - BHPian

Guys can I add the distilled water to battery when it is charging/discharging or it should be added only when charging is complete and main power is on?
Old 11th January 2012, 15:42   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys can I add the distilled water to battery when it is charging/discharging or it should be added only when charging is complete and main power is on?
You can as long as you add only distilled water, never even think about doing the same for the acid. The only care you should take is never fill the distilled water till brim or the plates are totally submerged. This will be an issue when the recharging happens and there is no space for expansion.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:49   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You can as long as you add only distilled water, never even think about doing the same for the acid. The only care you should take is never fill the distilled water till brim or the plates are totally submerged. This will be an issue when the recharging happens and there is no space for expansion.
Yes I do add distilled water only and my battery has float indicators and I fill only till the point where the float touches the green mark.

My mantra for maintaining battery - I add distilled water twice a year i.e. in January and June. The battery nearly consumes 1 liter of distilled water every six months (I guess it's normal?). So that comes for around 24 rupee per year as maintenance of my inverter battery. My Exide 150aH has completed three years yesterday and is in full flow.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th January 2012 at 15:51.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:33   #420
BHPian

I am here researching for inverters and where do I end again TBHP.
I don't think there is any discussion which is Greek or Latin for a TBHPian. Cheers

Planning to put in an inverter for my house.
Looking for a 1.5Kva. Do I really need that much power?
I don't see anyone going in for that much power for a small 2 bedroom apartment.

I got a quote of 36K for
Microtek 1.5Kva inverter + 2 Exide inverter plus batter + Electricals

I researched and found out

I need a Microtek UPS SEB2 1.5KVa model, costing Rs 8000
Exide SF STAN TUBULAR 150AH, costing Rs 13500 each
Electricals = Rs 1500
Totalling to Rs 36500/-

Am I getting a good setup at the right price?
Any links in chennai to get a good deal, much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks