Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:25   #496
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Mission accomplished houston.

Luminous 850vs + luminous 120ah tubular + trolley + installation = 15K.
Wiring cost = 850 (from MCB to balcony)
Tips: 100rs.

And it rained last night and till now the power has gone several times however I am unaffected by the outage. Except gysers,fridge and washing machine everything works.
5 audible beeps to acknowledge the power outage or restoration.
Problem is, sometimes I don't hear the beeps and itsa difficult to know if the power is there or not. Rest its flawless. So far so good.

Questions:
1. There is lot of sunlight falling on the inverter. Is this bad / no issues.
2. If going out for a week / 2 or 3 days, what's the procedure to be followed?
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:13   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Questions:
1. There is lot of sunlight falling on the inverter. Is this bad / no issues.
2. If going out for a week / 2 or 3 days, what's the procedure to be followed?
Yes sunlight will heat up both the inverter and the battery, which reduces the efficiency.
. At high temparature you have to derate the capacity of the battery
. High temparature may blow the electronics. No problem when there is power and inverter of off, but definitely a risk when the inverter is working and sun is adding to the heat.

Try to get some shade on the inverter - use a sunshade made of fibre glass sheet and fix it over the inverter, leaving some space between the two.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:02   #498
BHPian

Hello All

I have a 1kva microtek inverter ,it was running on 200Ah batter till about 6 months back , my stupidity i settled for a local battery ,which i regret buying had a horrible time with after sales support

Anyways i am on the look out for a inverter battery considering that we have frequent power cuts here ,can somebody direct me towards a reliable dealer for a battery ,i was thinking of going for luminous battery this time ,

Any pointer would be very helpfull , yeah i am from Bangalore ...

Regards
Abishek
Old 4th May 2012, 16:40   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
Hello All

I have a 1kva microtek inverter ,it was running on 200Ah batter till about 6 months back , my stupidity i settled for a local battery ,which i regret buying had a horrible time with after sales support

Anyways i am on the look out for a inverter battery considering that we have frequent power cuts here ,can somebody direct me towards a reliable dealer for a battery ,i was thinking of going for luminous battery this time ,

Any pointer would be very helpfull , yeah i am from Bangalore ...

Regards
Abishek
Normally 1KVA inverter has two batteries. A single battery model will run out of steam in about one and a half hours at rated load.

If you have only one battery, go for a full tubular battery. Choose one that has the maximum replacement guarantee. Normally battery manufacturers give a Replacement + prorata discount warranty.
Old 6th May 2012, 17:51   #500
BHPian

I currently use an APC inverter which runs on 24 volts. So it runs on 2 batteries, which are 100AH each. One of the battery has been depleting water very fast, so much so that we have to top up once in a month. So I have a few questions for kind consideration of fellow users here.

1. Is it time to change that battery?
2. Can I use two batteries of different AH ratings?

BTW, those are Exide MHD1000 batteries bought in 2008.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th May 2012, 17:57   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I currently use an APC inverter which runs on 24 volts. So it runs on 2 batteries, which are 100AH each. One of the battery has been depleting water very fast, so much so that we have to top up once in a month. So I have a few questions for kind consideration of fellow users here.

1. Is it time to change that battery?
2. Can I use two batteries of different AH ratings?

BTW, those are Exide MHD1000 batteries bought in 2008.

Thanks in advance.
Loss of water generally means the battery plates are wearing out OR the ambient temperature is too high. Does the battery get very warm when charging?

Assuming that the batteries are in the shade and away from any direct sunlight, yes it may be time to replace it. However, do get it checked by a competent technician (Sp Gr and load test) before making a decision.

You need to get 2 batteries of the same capacity.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:08   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Loss of water generally means the battery plates are wearing out OR the ambient temperature is too high. Does the battery get very warm when charging?

Assuming that the batteries are in the shade and away from any direct sunlight, yes it may be time to replace it. However, do get it checked by a competent technician (Sp Gr and load test) before making a decision.

You need to get 2 batteries of the same capacity.
Thank you for the quick response. The batteries do get warm when charging, not very warm though.

Both batteries are stored in a metal box supplied with the inverter, and placed in the balcony shaded by 3' high parapet wall. Only one battery requires frequent top-up. Its difficult to come by competent technicians, most dealers don't have one.
Old 7th May 2012, 19:50   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response. The batteries do get warm when charging, not very warm though.

Both batteries are stored in a metal box supplied with the inverter, and placed in the balcony shaded by 3' high parapet wall. Only one battery requires frequent top-up. Its difficult to come by competent technicians, most dealers don't have one.
Metal box in a balcony is not an ideal location, unless there is copious ventilation.

In case the batteries are one behind the other, inter change the position, and see if the one drying up is same or position dependent. If position dependent then there is a heating problem, else one of the batteries is near it end.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:24   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thank you Chipz. I am going to wait a while now since the last 4 days the power situation has improved drastically here, only 1 or 2 hours shutdown.
Power cuts has started once again and I am starting my search once more. Can someone tell me the price of APC 850VA Inverter and Amaron 150ah Tubular battery in Chennai ? In Pondy, the Amaron costs 14k while the APC costs 7.5k.

The Amaron 170ah flat battery costs only 10.7k, is it worth it ?
Old 8th May 2012, 12:44   #505
BHPian

Planning to shift my inverter to a new cabinet, but unfortunately the battery cable that comes with APC is too short. Don't want to open up the inverter and replace the cable as that might void the warranty. Any ideas on how I can extend that? Are battery cables for inverters available off the shelf? Any specifications that I need to check for?
Old 8th May 2012, 13:39   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Power cuts has started once again and I am starting my search once more. Can someone tell me the price of APC 850VA Inverter and Amaron 150ah Tubular battery in Chennai ? In Pondy, the Amaron costs 14k while the APC costs 7.5k.

The Amaron 170ah flat battery costs only 10.7k, is it worth it ?
In Bangalore, APC 850Va + 120ah battery costs 15k.
Old 8th May 2012, 14:08   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Planning to shift my inverter to a new cabinet, but unfortunately the battery cable that comes with APC is too short. Don't want to open up the inverter and replace the cable as that might void the warranty. Any ideas on how I can extend that? Are battery cables for inverters available off the shelf? Any specifications that I need to check for?
Why are you talking about opening up the inverter? The battery cable of my APC inverter has a ceramic (I think) plug at one end which goes into a socket at the back of the inverter. The electrician who did the cable extension just cut the original cable and joined a new one of similar size (5 or 6sqmm I think).
Old 8th May 2012, 14:33   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Why are you talking about opening up the inverter? The battery cable of my APC inverter has a ceramic (I think) plug at one end which goes into a socket at the back of the inverter. The electrician who did the cable extension just cut the original cable and joined a new one of similar size (5 or 6sqmm I think).
That's not the case with my APC. The cable is connected on the inside of the inverter, and the other end has lugs crimped to connect to the battery.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:39   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
In Bangalore, APC 850Va + 120ah battery costs 15k.
Thanks quadra, could you give a split up of the price please ? And the cost of a bigger battery, say 150ah and more.
Old 8th May 2012, 16:34   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks quadra, could you give a split up of the price please ? And the cost of a bigger battery, say 150ah and more.
A correction here - the batter is from APC only.

You can log a support ticket with APC on their website and they will share the info of the dealer nearest to you. I don't recall the breakup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks