Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 18:42   #856
Team-BHP Support

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
is it possible to add another battery to the inverter, in parallel, probably?
Yes you can add multiple batteries to increase amperage / backup keeping same output voltage of 12 V / 24 V as the case may be . But I am not very sure how old + new batteries when used together will perform . You can also buy a new 48 V setup with 4 batteries which will give you much longer backup .
Old 7th December 2015, 19:01   #857
Senior - BHPian

It would be best to browse the user manual for your inverter model on the Sukam website. It will clearly tell you how many batteries can be attached to the inverter as is or whether an external battery charger would be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks & cheers!
Old 7th December 2015, 19:28   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes you can add multiple batteries to increase amperage / backup keeping same output voltage of 12 V / 24 V as the case may be . But I am not very sure how old + new batteries when used together will perform . You can also buy a new 48 V setup with 4 batteries which will give you much longer backup .
Thanks! Buying a new setup is not feasible at this time. The only intention is to increase the backup time. Besides, the battery I'm currently using is pretty good. Still gives more than 12 hours backup non-stop for a fan & a light & occasional laptop/router usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It would be best to browse the user manual for your inverter model on the Sukam website. It will clearly tell you how many batteries can be attached to the inverter as is or whether an external battery charger would be required.
Thanks guys!

I looked up the info on the site, but I don't see any info about connecting extra batteries. Or maybe I am that stupid.

Here's the link to the user manual: http://www.su-kam.com/Upload/UpProdu...e-wave-ups.pdf

Please let me know if you find anything there. I'm thinking of ordering a tubular 180 Ah battery from BatteryBhai, and getting a local electrician to come and set it up in parallel. As I understand, these batteries need to be connected to the inverter all the time in order to keep their charge levels up, yes?
Old 7th December 2015, 19:58   #859
Senior - BHPian

Well while it's not up to me to tell any one what they are or aren't sometimes one has to read between the lines for the answers.

The inverter model with24V specs clearly indicates that two batteries can indeed be connected and then the battery equaliser and the double level trolley further confirm that this is indeed the case.

So if you have the 24V model go ahead with or without the equaliser.

Quote:
I looked up the info on the site, but I don't see any info about connecting extra batteries.
Old 7th December 2015, 20:04   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Well while it's not up to me to tell any one what they are or aren't, sometimes one has to read between the lines for the answers.
Real slick, sir. Real slick

Quote:
..So if you have the 24V model go ahead with or without the equaliser.
Nope, I don't have that one. I have the cheaper 12V thingy. So I guess connecting two batteries is out unless I get the 24V model, yes?
Old 7th December 2015, 20:21   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
But are there some factors I am missing?
Can you fake a power outage my turning Off the mains and On again, for your computer ups? If the problem repeats, we can narrow it down to the computer Ups. Try this by turning Off the wall outlet switch that powers your computer Ups and then by turning off the main fuses in your house. When you turn off the main fuses, the inverter should take over.

Try the above with and without a load on your computer Ups. That is, with your computer On and in Off state.

It is also possible that the batteries are weak on your Apc causing it to power off. Ideally;this should happen when power goes Off, not when it comes back.

Check if your new Microtek Ups is properly grounded and there is no current leak.
Old 7th December 2015, 23:19   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen!

Need your advice, ASAP! We've been using a Su-Kam Falcon inverter with a 180Ah battery for the past 3 years, and it has always worked beautifully. However, due to the recent floods in Chennai, we realized that we need more battery backup than the 180Ah battery offers at this time.

So, is it possible to add another battery to the inverter, in parallel, probably? Will that be feasible? And, if not a Su-Kam battery, can I add another brand battery to the inverter?
You can always add a parallel battery of equivalent Ah as your existing battery and get twice the discharge time, theoretically. But the problem is your inverter charger section will not be able to fully charge depleted batteries as they are over the rated amperage and may even burn out, depending on the protection circuitry, attempting to charge both the batteries.
The solution is to buy a battery and charger separately and while the inverter charges it's own battery the charger will charge the new backup battery. You could switch the battery after the inverter battery is drained.

Last edited by techiecal : 7th December 2015 at 23:23.
Old 8th December 2015, 16:07   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Can you fake a power outage my turning Off the mains and On again, for your computer ups? If the problem repeats, we can narrow it down to the computer Ups. Try this by turning Off the wall outlet switch that powers your computer Ups and then by turning off the main fuses in your house. When you turn off the main fuses, the inverter should take over.

Try the above with and without a load on your computer Ups. That is, with your computer On and in Off state.

It is also possible that the batteries are weak on your Apc causing it to power off. Ideally;this should happen when power goes Off, not when it comes back.

Check if your new Microtek Ups is properly grounded and there is no current leak.
Well, I tried the fake-power-outage thing the day I found out about the issue.

Unfortunately, I could not really replicate the issue as I cannot find the exact conditions under which this happens. :(
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:14   #864

Hi sourav9385, I am from Chennai too and I have an alternate suggestion, which is beneficial in general too. I survived 4 days on my 850VA / 150 AH Sukam setup during the floods. My lights are all LED tubelights and fans are DC fans. I can share more details if the forum rules don't consider this as deviating from the core subject of the thread.

Admins - this is my first post and need your permission please.

Regards,
Uday
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:25   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Real slick, sir. Real slick
Nope, I don't have that one. I have the cheaper 12V thingy. So I guess connecting two batteries is out unless I get the 24V model, yes?
You can add 12 V batteries in parallel to increase the time. The Inverter will output a maximum of 10 (plus or minus 2 A) which will take a long time to charge both the batteries. As techiecal suggested you may opt for removing the spare battery and charge it separately with another charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaykhan View Post
Hi sourav9385, I am from Chennai too and I have an alternate suggestion, which is beneficial in general too. I survived 4 days on my 850VA / 150 AH Sukam setup during the floods. My lights are all LED tubelights and fans are DC fans. I can share more details if the forum rules don't consider this as deviating from the core subject of the thread.
But a LED tube light costs around Rs.900 and a set of LED tubes for the entire house will set you back by a few thousands. I have replaced all CFLs with 5 W LED bulbs and my back up time for only the lighting has more than doubled. We managed 4 days in the recent floods with frugal usage.
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:22   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
But a LED tube light costs around Rs.900 and a set of LED tubes for the entire house will set you back by a few thousands. I have replaced all CFLs with 5 W LED bulbs and my back up time for only the lighting has more than doubled. We managed 4 days in the recent floods with frugal usage.
I agree there is a cost involved but it is definitely less than the cost of an additional battery, which by the way will also need replacement a few years down the line. Plus it helps lower your power bills in general also, not just while on battery.

sourav9385 was asking for a way to extend his battery run time and that can be done with much lesser cost - switch at least one FTL to LED (18W, Rs 900) and one ceiling fan to DC ceiling fan (38W, Rs 3600) to begin with. The assumption is that only one light / fan will be used during a crisis, so halving your power draw will automatically double your battery run time.

Regards,
Uday
Old 12th April 2016, 11:14   #867
BHPian

Need expert / experienced BHPians advise.

I have decided to have a 150AH battery and the inverter to back up the lights, fans and mixie. Local dealer told 850VA is not sufficient for mixie and I have to go above and recommended 1050VA from luminous.

He is pushing me for Luminous battery and inverter, and saying service is good and no worries with same brand. One of my relative at my home town who is a electrician advised me to go for Exide 150ah battery and Luminous Inverter.

I got a quote from the local dealer as below.

Luminous 1050VA : 5500 [36 months]
Luminous 150AH : 11500 [36 months]
V-Guard 150AH : 12500 [36 months]
V-Guard 150AH : 14000 [54 months]
Exide 1150AH : 15750 [48 months]

Confusions as below.
1. There are lot of price difference from online shop.
2. With the same 1050VA and same lumious I can see 3 different products and prices
3. Same case with batteries for which i can see different prices and models from the same brand and 150ah capacity
4. Luminous model given by the local dealer is showing as square wave in online, but he says its pure sine wave.
5. Any reliable, trusted combo with specific model and price details which is 150ah and above 1000va
6. Buying battery and inverter online is safe? and any warranty issues?

Based on your advise, i will plan my purchase. Hence please provide exact model no and price you are suggesting, will help a lot for me. TIA.
Old 12th April 2016, 18:41   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Need expert / experienced BHPians advise.

I have decided to have a 150AH battery and the inverter to back up the lights, fans and mixie. Local dealer told 850VA is not sufficient for mixie and I have to go above and recommended 1050VA from luminous.

He is pushing me for Luminous battery and inverter, and saying service is good and no worries with same brand. One of my relative at my home town who is a electrician advised me to go for Exide 150ah battery and Luminous Inverter.

I got a quote from the local dealer as below.

Luminous 1050VA : 5500 [36 months]
Luminous 150AH : 11500 [36 months]
V-Guard 150AH : 12500 [36 months]
V-Guard 150AH : 14000 [54 months]
Exide 1150AH : 15750 [48 months]

Confusions as below.
1. There are lot of price difference from online shop.
2. With the same 1050VA and same lumious I can see 3 different products and prices
3. Same case with batteries for which i can see different prices and models from the same brand and 150ah capacity
4. Luminous model given by the local dealer is showing as square wave in online, but he says its pure sine wave.
5. Any reliable, trusted combo with specific model and price details which is 150ah and above 1000va

Based on your advise, i will plan my purchase. Hence please provide exact model no and price you are suggesting, will help a lot for me. TIA.
Even we have the combination of Luminous Inverter and Exide battery. You may get a better deal for the battery from an Exide dealer.
Old 13th April 2016, 12:35   #869
Senior - BHPian

The company would know it's own product better than any dealer, there should be no confusion there.

The luminous website has an eshop, where they are selling directly and there is an option to buy various combinations

When one can buy from an unknown dealer or face less online retailers, what could be unsafe about buying directly from the company's own website based e shop?
warranty issues! seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Old 14th April 2016, 09:07   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Even we have the combination of Luminous Inverter and Exide battery. You may get a better deal for the battery from an Exide dealer.
Thanks for the input, I will lookout for the Exide dealer shops.

Also, very less options for Exide batteries online. Is the luminous battery is good? any experiences you have.

Quote:
When one can buy from an unknown dealer or face less online retailers, what could be unsafe about buying directly from the company's own website based e shop?
warranty issues! seriously?
My concern is most of the items coming from online shops doesn't have the seal and sign on the warranty card which is obvious while buying from local dealers. This might cause an issue while looking for servicing and support from company. Also paytm offers additional 7-10% cash back on the same model and price listed in luminous e-shop site. For the configuration I'm looking for, I can save another 1500 rupees in paytm compared to company owned e-shop site, that's what pulling me towards paytm.

Most Viewed