Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 09:40   #1006
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The water in that never recedes. It is providing power backup and we rarely have a power loss these days in Chennai. I want to know if it is likely that the battery is faulty? It is about 3 years but this situation of no water reduction is there for past 18 months at least. On the other hand my Exide 150ah tubular is a water guzzler.
It is nothing abnormal for the batteries not to lose water - if the charging current is within specified range in its early life. If the charging current is excessive, it results in bubbling of the electrolyte and causes the battery to lose water.
You might want to check the charging current for the inverter connected to the Exide 150 AH.
Old 12th June 2017, 17:19   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
The coin slot plugs are to be opened to fill up distilled water whenever the level of the indicator floats goes down. As distilled water is poured in , the level of the indicator floats will rise.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you do that, you could see the level indicator as you fill. Is this is a good idea?

Hmmm... ours does too, except the screw plugs are raised.
As already pointed out, it is way easier to just unscrew the level indicator plugs. Getting the water level right is not really an issue, as the length of the water level indicator "stalk" that gets immersed in the water/acid, gives a good idea of the required water level needed while filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This is probably a quirk of the battery's case design. You can remove either the coin slotted vent plug or the floats to top up with distilled water. I personally find the floats easier to remove as they come off without the need for a coin.

I have always wondered if there is a proper tool to unscrew the coin slot plugs. Using a coin, feels rather improper as it often ruins the plugs.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 12th June 2017 at 17:21.
Old 12th June 2017, 17:20   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

@halfbytecode - Use a Rs 10 coin. Fits snugly and is perfect to open/tighten vent plugs.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:49   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I have always wondered if there is a proper tool to unscrew the coin slot plugs. Using a coin, feels rather improper as it often ruins the plugs.
That is because the coin sizes in India keep changing. I guess in West the coin sizes are quite static. The reason for having coin slots is that for a layman a coin is way more handy than a screw driver - there are always coins in your purse.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:11   #1010
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My inverter from
crompton greaves died after 7 and a half years of use.
Its OEM battery died after 7 years.

Now I ve bought a brand new more powerful Luminous Inverter and matching battery and case etc.

It can power 4 lights and fans. Or 4 lights, 2 fans and TV plus of course one or two computers.

Else with just 3 fans and one or two small lights working, it can provide 8 hours backup.
Old 20th June 2017, 23:34   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
@halfbytecode - Use a Rs 10 coin. Fits snugly and is perfect to open/tighten vent plugs.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is because the coin sizes in India keep changing. I guess in West the coin sizes are quite static. The reason for having coin slots is that for a layman a coin is way more handy than a screw driver - there are always coins in your purse.
They really should have a tool for this though. It should be easy to use a screwdriver like tool, and coins for when the tool is not handy.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:45   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe coins is part of the design? Even hand-tight is restricted with a coin.

But a tool could very easily be made, either by inserting a coin into some sort of handle, or by adapting an existing tool. Grinding wheels are good!
Old 16th July 2017, 11:55   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gel or AGM VRLA batteries do not like high temps and must be kept in a narrow range of temps mostly between 27-35 C for longevity
Requesting your opinion on using Exide Gelmagic battery in Chennai where the room temperature during summer (say for 2-3 weeks max) shoots to 35 & outside over 41 degree Celsius. Keep aside 2-3 degree more for the forth coming years. What's your take, should we opt for this or still go with regular tubular with maintenance?

This is for an old couple in our neighborhood & they're certainly not going to keep checking for distilled water & thought this will be the best option for them.

Thanks

Last edited by aargee : 16th July 2017 at 11:56.
Old 16th July 2017, 12:52   #1014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Requesting your opinion on using Exide Gelmagic battery in Chennai where the room temperature during summer (say for 2-3 weeks max) shoots to 35 & outside over 41 degree Celsius. Keep aside 2-3 degree more for the forth coming years. What's your take, should we opt for this or still go with regular tubular with maintenance?

This is for an old couple in our neighborhood & they're certainly not going to keep checking for distilled water & thought this will be the best option for them.

Thanks
There are two options for this couple:

a) Buy a regular (tall) tubular battery and pay someone for e.g. the dealer to top up the battery regularly. The interval will depend on the # and length of charge/discharge cycles the battery goes through which in turn depends on the power outages in that particular area.

Pros = lower cost on an AH basis, last longer in high temperatures (~35-40 ambient), less sensitive to higher charging voltages. The last 2 factors are due to presence of liquid electrolyte.

Cons: need regular DW top ups/maintenance. Can leak electrolyte and exhaust gas during the charging cycle. So placement is important. Some people for e.g. like me do not like the smell as it irritates the throat. Keep these batteries away from living areas and the kitchen.

b) Go in for a gel battery which are more or less maintenance free. And be ready to replace them every 2-4 years again depending on the factors mentioned above AND the temps.

Pros: These are truly maintenance free and will last for 3-4 years **provided** voltages and ambient temperatures are in the recommended range. No electrolyte leakage or gas venting.

Cons: Possible lower life span in high temperatures, higher upfront costs. As mentioned above these batteries are sensitive if charging voltages are out of spec. Out of spec voltages and temps kill these batteries very quickly.

For a place like Chennai I'd opt for a flooded (wet) battery as option 1. If regular support/maintenance is not available then it's gel cell.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th July 2017 at 12:55.
Old 17th July 2017, 12:34   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two options for this couple
Thank you; you answered what's exactly on my mind; the pros & cons you've mentioned helps to set expectations clearly for them. I'll state it to them & leave for them to decide as what they want.

I'm only concerned what might happen to GEL based batteries if the room temperature exceeds like bursting, leaking etc. If the lifespan shortens, I'm not great worried about it. Would it?

From my experience with APC, I think I'll go with APC as well. Are there any other better brands in today's market offering ONSITE repair + long period of warranty + very close SINE wave?
Old 17th July 2017, 13:01   #1016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm only concerned what might happen to GEL based batteries if the room temperature exceeds like bursting, leaking etc. If the lifespan shortens, I'm not great worried about it. Would it?
Gel cell batteries are less prone to bursting than flooded batteries, but will bulge and deform if pushed hard by overcharging and other such punishment.

All lead acid batteries are dangerous to human health if not used and maintained properly primarily because of the heavy metal lead and of course acid present in the products.

Although they look benign and appliance-like it's best to remember they can injure/hurt you if they burst or even serve as irritants when venting gasses.

At the end of the day, especially in case of wet batteries, always keep them away from habitable areas, and use/maintain them at the recommended temperature and charge voltages whilst observing all safety precautions.

Quote:
From my experience with APC, I think I'll go with APC as well. Are there any other better brands in today's market offering ONSITE repair + long period of warranty + very close SINE wave?
There are plenty of brands to choose from. For home inverters the more well known ones are Su-kam, Luminous, Microtek and APC. They are more or less similar in their performance. Just make sure to buy a pure sine wave (not modified sine wave or square wave) inverter.

For computer UPSes I only buy and recommend APC's products. I swear by the industrial grade "Smart UPS" models from APC. They don't look pretty but heck they last a long time and work without breaking a sweat.
Old 17th July 2017, 14:00   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian

My new Luminous inverter failed within 3 months. They did send someone to fix it, although it took a few days.

One component had burnt out. The technician replaced the whole board.

Hey, this box cost a modest percentage of an AC Smart ups. But such early failure is not encouraging.
Old 17th July 2017, 15:48   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My new Luminous inverter failed within 3 months. They did send someone to fix it, although it took a few days.

One component had burnt out. The technician replaced the whole board.

Hey, this box cost a modest percentage of an AC Smart ups. But such early failure is not encouraging.
I've had problems with my Microtek and Su-kam inverters when they were <1 year old. Both were repaired under warranty and as in your case the boards were replaced.

I put it down to poor quality soldering in one of the units. Checked the board it was ghastly. The 2nd one failed due to a transformer and diode burn out, which IMO is due to the use of mediocre quality components.
Old 17th July 2017, 17:16   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gel cell batteries are less prone to bursting than flooded batteries, but will bulge and deform if pushed hard by overcharging and other such punishment
Thank you; your replies made me more biased towards GEL based battery. It will be GEL then. Thank you

Quote:
Just make sure to buy a pure sine wave (not modified sine wave or square wave) inverter
Quote:
My new Luminous inverter failed within 3 months...failure is not encouraging.
Quote:
I've had problems with my Microtek and Su-kam inverters when they were <1 year old
I've a 7+ year old APC with Exide Invatubular IT 500 which is still doing awesome job; but yes, I'm all eyes on its maintenance; required or not I make a point to fill distilled water every 3 months & I've atleast 5 liters any point in time.

So it will be APC + Exide Gel battery for them.

Thank you all . I'll keep posted on the proceedings after talking to them as well.
Old 18th July 2017, 14:55   #1020
BHPian

It's time to change my inverter battery(150Ah).
Has anybody installed Amaron inverter batteries? I have had only fantastic experiences with Amaron car batteries. This would be the first time that I would be trying Amaron battery on a inverter. Appreciate your feedback
Amaron AAM-CR-I1500D04R is what I am looking at. With exchange batterybhai.com is listing it at Rs.8799 wherein carbatteryexpert.com (anybody availed services from these guys?) around Rs.250 less. That's inclusive of old battery exchange and free installation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks