Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 07:48   #1081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If a battery feels warm (little over body temperature) but not unusually hot to the touch it is ok.
Thanks, I did this test and both my batteries are absolutely cool to the touch. They are functioning well but I am seeing a constant current on one phase and was thinking it might be due to a bad battery, reading the experiences a few posts back.

Last edited by diyguy : 9th October 2017 at 07:56.
Old 9th October 2017, 09:14   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thanks, I did this test and both my batteries are absolutely cool to the touch. They are functioning well but I am seeing a constant current on one phase and was thinking it might be due to a bad battery, reading the experiences a few posts back.
Are the batteries in series or parallel? Did you use a clamp meter or ammeter to measure the current? How much was it? If it exceeds 1A over a period of time, please check your inverter's charging circuit. Amps should drop to <1A as the battery charges up to 100%. If you have a DMM also check the charging voltage. Float should be between 13.2-13.8v. Also, how frequently do you need to top off the DW in the batteries?
Old 9th October 2017, 13:02   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Back in the day... well, more like back in my dad's day (pre-alternator, etc) it was important to have a battery charger at home. Being unable to start the car on frosty mornings and all that. In more recent decades, when I have been caught out by car-battery failure, it has been out on the road anyway. And it has been end of life for a previously completely reliable battery.

But, would it be worth keeping a charger for inverter, and even car, batteries, that can do this sort of reconditioning? Would it be expensive?
Basic battery charges would be quite inexpensive. As far as I was concerned, I made my own - Transformer with a few taps + tap selector switch, Selenium rectifier and an ammeter, all told under Rs 100, 40 years ago. Some thing like this
https://www.amazon.in/BATTERY-CHARGE...attery+charger
Old 9th October 2017, 14:40   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Basic battery charges would be quite inexpensive.
I remember them as being inexpensive, but does it take anything special to recondition the battery?
Old 9th October 2017, 16:34   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I remember them as being inexpensive, but does it take anything special to recondition the battery?
There is a way of doing this manually. Use a simple charger with separate voltage and amp controls and built-in meters preferably digital for accuracy.

Bump up the voltage to 15.8 keep a close eye on the battery water level and temperature. Stop earlier if the battery gets very hot or over 50 Centigrade. Continue till the Sp. Gr of all 6 cells is the same or in about 4-6 hours whichever is earlier. Read more here:

Equalization
Old 9th October 2017, 17:59   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Are the batteries in series or parallel? Did you use a clamp meter or ammeter to measure the current?
the batteries are independent and connected to two inverters and power different rooms in my house. I checked the digital home meter that is fitted by the government electricity board. It shows me a consistent amperage of 2A, but this could be other devices in the line. I am yet to isolate only the inverters and investigate further. I have seen the current shoot to 4A when I switch on the inverters even after a two minute shutdown. I top off the water in one battery every three months. The other one does not seem to be ever need a top up, but it works just fine. Will check the voltage across the terminals using a multimeter.
Old 9th October 2017, 18:52   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
the batteries are independent and connected to two inverters and power different rooms in my house. I checked the digital home meter that is fitted by the government electricity board. It shows me a consistent amperage of 2A, but this could be other devices in the line. I am yet to isolate only the inverters and investigate further. I have seen the current shoot to 4A when I switch on the inverters even after a two minute shutdown. I top off the water in one battery every three months. The other one does not seem to be ever need a top up, but it works just fine. Will check the voltage across the terminals using a multimeter.

@diyguy, I was referring amps in the DC line i.e. the leads that go from the inverter to the battery. I thought it is that reading never goes below 2A which was a genuine surprise to me. So you have 2 batteries and 2 inverters. 1 battery to 1 inverter, right?

You can isolate the UPS/inverters to check the loads. Pretty easy to do if required. Just pull the plugs of all appliances on that phase and check the load. The 4A you see after power returns is probably a temporary surge caused by the inverters which begin charging the batteries. Check them a few minutes after power returns to check their steady-state power draw.
Old 10th October 2017, 07:28   #1088
BANNED

Lithium batteries -- are they coming?

I am wondering whether Lithium Batteries are available. Can they be used. They will be far more compact and have a longer life. The negatives may be compatibility with existing systems, and costs. With prices dropping price may not be that big a criterion soon.
Old 10th October 2017, 08:44   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
[b]The negatives may be compatibility with existing systems, and costs. With prices dropping price may not be that big a criterion soon.
Yes Li batteries are coming and prices will eventually drop to more affordable levels.

But my biggest concern about Li Ion/Polymer is temperature sensitivity and their literally explosive nature which can be a fire hazard. Not yet convinced they are suitable for hot tropical countries like India where even regular inspection and maintenance are taken lightly.

PS - As I recall there were a few posts about a Li battery based inverter on this thread.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th October 2017 at 09:00. Reason: added PS
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:52   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

I have a UPS at work, that has 22 Exide EL+ 80AH Tubular batteries connected in series. One battery has conked out, and I need to replace it.

Checking online, and there are no 80AH tubular batteries available. Can I go with a 100AH? Or will this create a problem? What are my options? I wonder if a 100 AH battery will up the voltage to the UPS and screw things up.

Now with this errant battery, the whole UPS ceases to function, and we're having a torrid time at work. Just have to get that replaced asap.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd November 2017 at 14:53.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:15   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys,

I have a UPS at work, that has 22 Exide EL+ 80AH Tubular batteries connected in series. One battery has conked out, and I need to replace it.

Checking online, and there are no 80AH tubular batteries available. Can I go with a 100AH? Or will this create a problem? What are my options? I wonder if a 100 AH battery will up the voltage to the UPS and screw things up.
You can add that 100 AH battery and it won't mess up the voltage. Only thing is it might not be charged at the right current. But in the overall scheme of things, it won't be a big deal.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:15   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Any decent battery dealer should have 80 AH batteries. Amazon only seems to offer shady and unknown brands online for 80 AH, so just find the nearest dealer and have him install the new battery and meanwhile do any general maintenance work on your UPS that might be necessary as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys,

Now with this errant battery, the whole UPS ceases to function, and we're having a torrid time at work. Just have to get that replaced asap.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:17   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
it won't be a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Any decent battery dealer should have 80 AH batteries.
Checking with the local guys now, to find this exact EL+ series of 80AH batteries. They come with an amazing 5 year warranty from Exide. I think I will just go with it for the peace of mind for good.

Now to find the battery...
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:35   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You can add that 100 AH battery and it won't mess up the voltage. Only thing is it might not be charged at the right current. But in the overall scheme of things, it won't be a big deal.
I am getting overall feedback that either the 80 ah series is not in stock or has been discontinued. In this case, if i put the 100 ah, the only issue is the battery will not be optimally charged, therefore reducing the life of the battery, is it not?
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:56   #1095
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Assuming your EL+ is more then 5 years old, the the capacity of all the batteries will be much lower then 80ah. My 40ah EL(not EL+)after 7 years of use, its capacity is down to around 20ah.

So putting a 100ah in series will cause a imbalance in both charge and discharge cycle. During discharge the other batteries will get discharge to lower voltage levels or deep discharge level and the ups will only see the sum voltage of all batteries in series. The newer battery beside it being a higher capacity means it will have a higher voltage then older batteries.

Last edited by aim120 : 3rd November 2017 at 03:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks