Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 13:48   #1261
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Inverter Batteries

Actually most AC fans are not called brushless motor the correct term for them(while they don't have brushes, which is correct) is induction motor.

A high air flow BLDC computer fans(not talking about no name cheap fans) will also do the trick advantages is that they are silent can work in DC directly from battery but they cost as much as a exhaust fan.
Old 16th May 2018, 14:02   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You can look at timer Programmable switches and you can schedule this to run at specific times and switch off again at specific times. Multiple such schedules will help you cover the entire day if you desire. Google sonoff. I use such a device for my outdoor night lights.
I bought 2 of these after diyguy mentioned about it here. They have one issue though. They won't come online if there is any interruption in the mains supply. You have to manually turn them on or use the app in your mobile to turn them on.

I am using one of these switches to monitor the consumption to one of my UPS. I noticed that I have to manually switch it on everytime there is a power cut.
Old 16th May 2018, 14:18   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I noticed that I have to manually switch it on everytime there is a power cut.
I think there is a setting for this, just play with the settings. See this page.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-1526460507693.jpg  

Old 16th May 2018, 15:54   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
I think there is a setting for this, just play with the settings. See this page.
Yes. Thank you. I was running firmware version 2.0.2 and in my iphone, I can't see the download option as the line was hidden. After I downloaded the new firmware 2.0.4, the setting gave this option - Power on mode.
Old 25th May 2018, 09:01   #1265
BHPian

Guru's.

I am not sure what to make of this.

Yesterday, there was a powercut for about 3 hours or so. Today morning when I checked the batteries, found these "water marks" as if a drop has fallen on the surface.

Not sure if the battery burped water along with gas during charging phase. I touched it to see if its acid, thought it might sting my fingers to ascertain, but no stinging effect, little waxy (as if I touched wax candle).

What are your thoughts ?

Inverter Batteries-inkedimg_20180525_084944_li.jpg

Inverter Batteries-inkedimg_20180525_084958_li.jpg

Inverter Batteries-inkedimg_20180525_085004_li.jpg
Old 25th May 2018, 09:11   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Not sure if the battery burped water along with gas during charging phase.
I have seen this when acidic water drops off my hydrometer anywhere, battery top or floor etc. I tend to overfill the cells and then I remove excess with the hydrometer.
I notice your water levels are more than they should be based on the level indicator in your pictures.
Old 25th May 2018, 09:18   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure what to make of this. Not sure if the battery burped water along with gas during charging phase.
This happens when the battery is charging and electrolyte levels are above recommended levels. Next time fill a little less DW.

The highest level should be at the bottom of the vent barrel preferably slightly less i.e. 5 mm below that. Do not overfill because acid can 'burp' out along with gasses and cause corrosion. This goes for car batteries too. Make sure the floats are fitted properly. Also, I'd not recommend touching that fluid. Just wipe it off with a cloth or a tissue. If the fluid 'burns' the cloth/tissue you know what it is.

If you intend to maintain the batteries yourself always keep plain water and baking soda handy at home to neutralise any accidental acid splash. I'd recommend wearing safety goggles & latex gloves. it is cheap protection that can save your eyes and skin in case of accidents.

Quote:
I tend to overfill the cells and then I remove excess with the hydrometer.
Hmm, I wouldn't recommend doing this. Every time you over fill and remove the excess you are removing not just the water but the acid that is already got mixed with it. So over time your battery acid will be further diluted, Sp Gr will begin to fall and performance can be affected. Just don't overfill so don't have to go through the hassle of removing the extra fluid.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th May 2018 at 09:23.
Old 25th May 2018, 11:11   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen this when acidic water drops off my hydrometer anywhere, battery top or floor etc. I tend to overfill the cells and then I remove excess with the hydrometer.
I notice your water levels are more than they should be based on the level indicator in your pictures.
The dealer who installed it for me filled it up. And the worst part is that it came prefilled while transporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This happens when the battery is charging and electrolyte levels are above recommended levels. Next time fill a little less DW.

If you intend to maintain the batteries yourself always keep plain water and baking soda handy at home to neutralise any accidental acid splash.
So, now what I do for all the cells (almost all of them) are overfilled R2D2-san ? Should I blot out the excess fluid using some new facial tissues or absorbant paper ?
Old 25th May 2018, 12:55   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer who installed it for me filled it up. And the worst part is that it came prefilled while transporting.
They generally do that to extend the refilling intervals without thinking of the consequences. But that happens with car batteries too.

Quote:
So, now what I do for all the cells (almost all of them) are overfilled R2D2-san ? Should I blot out the excess fluid using some new facial tissues or absorbant paper ?
Don't use any tissue to remove excess fluid. That will burn and bits of the paper may fall into the battery. Just use tissue to mop up on the outer casing.

Just leave it alone, don't drain any electrolyte. The levels will go down due to normal charge/discharge cycling.
Old 25th May 2018, 13:24   #1270
Distinguished - BHPian

Which brand's battery is currently the best in market?? We have a 2007 Exide Invatubular 150Ah which has been diligently working till date. But it's backup has gone down, and will be purchasing a new battery in the next few days. Also, should we consider maintenance free battery?? Our current one is the regular battery with accessible cells.

Regards
Shashi

PS: A brief chat with the battery dealer revealed these quotes for the battery: Amaron: Rs. 9k, Exide: 13k
Old 25th May 2018, 14:05   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Which brand's battery is currently the best in market?? We have a 2007 Exide Invatubular 150Ah which has been diligently working till date. But it's backup has gone down, and will be purchasing a new battery in the next few days. Also, should we consider maintenance free battery?? Our current one is the regular battery with accessible cells.

Regards
Shashi

PS: A brief chat with the battery dealer revealed these quotes for the battery: Amaron: Rs. 9k, Exide: 13k

I bought Inva Master 150Ah, in Jan'16, against replacement of IT500, Inva Tubular. Both of them are excellent products of Exide with least maintenance requirement.

IT 500 was doing well, but, my Inverter did it worst part by overcharging, failing the IT500 in 46 months. Otherwise, it would have served a long, and IT500 is a proven and reliable battery for Inverter.

I replaced it with Exide Inva Master, which comes with 36 months warranty as against 48 months of Inva Tubular and hence, lesser by Rs.3000. Otherwise, not much of difference in construction. So, my recommendation is to go with Exide Inva Master 150 Ah, if 3K is handsome else IT500 is the undisputed choice !
Old 25th May 2018, 16:05   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Best for inverter? Here I can confidently say without a doubt it's got to be Exide tubular. The fact that your Exide has worked for 11 years (wow!) should tell also you that.

If maintenance free means gel cell forget it. Better get another IT 500 or even an IT 750 (200 AH which is installed at my home since Apr 2013 and going strong) if required. Gel cells are not ideal for hot climates like ours otherwise be prepared to replace the battery every 3-4 years instead of 6-8 years on an average with the wet cell models.
Old 25th May 2018, 16:53   #1273
Distinguished - BHPian

Please don't use touch to identify acid! I have had plenty of acid drops on my skin, and I don't think you will get a quick reaction on thicker skin: you will feel it on soft skin of arms, etc. But it will take a few minutes.

By getting it on your finger tips, you do not know where you are spreading it: to other skin, clothes, even eyes. Please neutralise acid, or suspected acid, on your skin with sodium bicarbonate --- or I used to just wash with soap. Actual soap, not detergent. Splashes on your clothes you will never know about until they become holes: which they will!

Wash your hands with soap if you have even been near battery acid. Even if you think you could not have got any on you!

If I remember rightly, Sulphuric Acid is hydro-whatever-the-word-is. It attracts water, It will attract water from the atmosphere. So drops like you show on your battery never actually dry.
Old 28th May 2018, 08:00   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So drops like you show on your battery never actually dry.
This is exactly why I touched it Thad-san to see what it was. Cause I was not sure if someone accidentally poured water or was my battery leaking.

Infact, the consistency was like melted Vaseline gel and I was really confused (early riser and still drowsy). It then occurred to me that R2D2-san told that gases escape while charging, and then I checked the valves if they belched out liquid with gas.

Since the location of drops were very random, it added to my confusion. I have wiped the battery down completely now with a waste cloth and monitoring daily.
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:47   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You need to buy a clamp meter to measure AC + DC current. An AC only meter is useless for your purpose. Stay away from those cheap Chinese meters and get good mid-rung brands like Meco, Rushabh, Mastech, UNI-T etc. Fluke is highly recommended and this model is a mid priced offering: Fluke 362 AC/DC clamp meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
If it overcharges the dc voltage will be high. You can use the products such as those in that link, but you will need to make sure that the reading its showing is accurate and chances are that they may not be.
If there is a multimeter you can use that to calibrate it(assuming that meter has a calibration pot)

Without a Dc clamp meter measuring AC is useless.
Guys, thanks for your replies. I am going to buy a fluke but it would still not serve as a monitoring device as I won't be at home most of the time. What I did was to buy this clamp meter, which comes with a digital display. We have 2 inverters in our house and so planning to buy one more as a permanantly fixed meter. This would be run off a small 9v battery. I could run it off the UPS battery, but just choosing to use a simple 9v because it avoids the possibility of something bad happenning on this device causing a short circuit like thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-screenshot_20180602134635__01.jpg  

Most Viewed