Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 11:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

ethernet over powerline at Home

Hi!

I'm using a Netgear WGR604 54mbps wireless router, which sits in a corner room. I'm facing signal loss in other rooms with this setup and am trying to find ways to extend the range or improve the signal quality.

Options:

1) Install an external antenna. Not sure if this model takes an external antenna.
2) replace the router with a MIMO router
3) Add another Netgear or Apple Airport Express router to create a wireless bridge. I'm of the opinion that this will also face the same problems as my laptop - weak signal .

4) Ethernet over powerline. I've seen some products from Netgear that allow you to connect a DSL line/router to another room via the 'existing' power lines, without having to run ethernet cables.

I'm looking for someone who has used this type of ethernet over powerline adapters and some guidance in terms of

- Should all the rooms be on the same phase
- What is the range these can be used for ?
- Will running ethernet over powerline lead to any signal quality loss ? Any problems with power conditioning ? or problems with other devices ( tv, Hometheatre, radio etc. ) drawing power from the same phase ?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 16:37   #2
BHPian

Re: ethernet over powerline at Home

Hi, I am in the same dilemma and as usual my first stop was Team-BHP and searched to see if someone has "been there, done that". The search turned up this old thread so just wanted to check if you tried this out and what your experience was.
Even if you didnt use the ethernet over powerline, did you get any other solution?
Thanks in advance!
Old 19th August 2012, 17:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I had the same problem, ie Router sits in one corner of my house, so the range is limited to three-fourths of the house. We got Ethernet cables run across our apartment, mainly as I wanted to link my TV to our router through a wired setup. My bravia had Wifi capability, but I wanted to use ethernet as one, the adapter was not easily available and costed 5k. And two, my wifi range was not strong enough. Initially only one line of CAT5 cable was wired from router to TV. Recently, got the entire telephone cabling replaced by a pair of CAT5Es. One for the phone and other if I want to adda network point somewhere in the house. Using this wired setup, I can now add another router and extend my range. I have searched for other products like repeaters, etc but it did not seem to be suitable considering its availability, cost etc. It costed less than 3k to get the entire house wired. The ethernet cables can be used for telephone as well as your network setup.
Old 19th August 2012, 19:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps
Hi, I am in the same dilemma and as usual my first stop was Team-BHP and searched to see if someone has "been there, done that". The search turned up this old thread so just wanted to check if you tried this out and what your experience was.
Even if you didnt use the ethernet over powerline, did you get any other solution?
Thanks in advance!
You can try the Netgear WNR2000RPT. Its a wireless repeater and also comes with 4 ethernet ports to provide a wired connection to devices such as TV's, ps3,xbox etc..It will repeat any network and you can install it at a place which has some signals from your router and it will repeat the signal for the rest of the house.
Its available at flipkart for 2900.
Old 20th August 2012, 02:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
You can try the Netgear WNR2000RPT. Its a wireless repeater and also comes with 4 ethernet ports to provide a wired connection to devices such as TV's, ps3,xbox etc..It will repeat any network and you can install it at a place which has some signals from your router and it will repeat the signal for the rest of the house.
Its available at flipkart for 2900.
CISCO Linksys has a repeater too (available with Flipkart). It works but be aware you might need to disable MAC filtering (if you have it enabled0 to make it work consistently . Your effective speed too would come down when connected to the repeater.

I have used the powerline repeater too ( a UK product). Worked in UK (single phase wiring) but if you have 3 phase wiring , unless the source side and extension adapters sit on the same phase , will not work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks