Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 09:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

DELL INSPIRON 1501 Getting Hanged Often. What to do???

People I use a DELL Inspiron 1501 laptop. I had got it from the US. For some reason it hangs almost every 2 hours. Its very annoying. Also now when i start it there is a error " Battery not recognised , the battery wont get charged" . But luckily it does get charged. Guruji 's help!
Old 18th June 2008, 09:58   #2
BHPian

The hanging problem may be due to overheating. Did you check the exhaust vents for any clogging or blockage?
Old 18th June 2008, 10:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
The hanging problem may be due to overheating. Did you check the exhaust vents for any clogging or blockage?
Sumit , It does get overheated. I actually didnt know the source of the problem. I shall check up the exhaust vents. Thanks!
Old 18th June 2008, 10:48   #4
BHPian

*I had got it from the US. For some reason it hangs almost every 2 hours.*

Go to Task Manager and check the processes that are running. Try deleting/stopping the unwanted ones that are running.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just call the customer care. its one of the best.
Had my XPS serviced next day.
Cheers to Dell for its service

Try it out once.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Also, do some performance monitoring when you are at it. If the problem is not due to heating then I will check the following,
* Find out the screensaver that is on, if any, and remove it.
* Check the amount of ram that is filled up. If at any time you are filling up 70% or more of RAM you need to immediately increase RAM. Otherwise your computer will give you a sense of hanging at times and may even hang on some occasions.
* Have the TaskManager running in the tray (next to the clock). It will show the CPU activity. If the CPU usage is shooting upto 95% or beyond for extended periods then it will again give a sense of hanging. You may need to kill processes and then isolate the hogger and decimate it so that it does not run again.
* Go to Services and check which ones are running. If you have too many irrelevant services with start type as Automatic maybe you can try making them Manual or better still Disable them altogether.
* Check if your AV or Spyware is scheduled for running a full system scan at fixed intervals (your CPU activity will shoot up).
Old 18th June 2008, 21:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
People I use a DELL Inspiron 1501 laptop. I had got it from the US. For some reason it hangs almost every 2 hours. Its very annoying. Also now when i start it there is a error " Battery not recognised , the battery wont get charged" . But luckily it does get charged. Guruji 's help!
When did you purchase the laptop from the US ? If it has any warranty left, you can transfer it to India and get the laptop repaired .
Old 19th June 2008, 01:40   #8
BHPian

@karanraheja,

Its very eay to get this issue fixed, please visit Dell Support Home Page, enter the service tag that's on the bottom of your notebook and download the latest BIOS and VIDEO driver and install it to your computer. While falshing the BIOS you need to connect the computer using the AC adapter. This should be fixing the issue, please do let me know what happened so that I can provide you more inputs on this...
Old 19th June 2008, 17:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs ! I shall take up your suggestion & hopefully it gets solved !

Cheers,

Karan
Old 19th June 2008, 17:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oh!
Reading the title, i thought this thread is about people hanging a particular laptop brand. Obviously seemed very interesting. You dont get to hear about laptops being hanged every day.
But alas. it was about just another hardware/software/firmware/someware bug.
Sigh.
Old 19th June 2008, 17:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

I have the same model. It should not get overheated. Use a simple temperature monitor and see if it overheats.
This could be due to battery fault(battery getting heated up), or fan issue.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:02   #12
BHPian

please give complete specs of your lap and also the OS u are running.
Also I would like to add here that in most cases the problem may be caused by using the laptop on bed. In which case the heat may be getting blocked and thus affecting the performance
Old 19th June 2008, 18:28   #13
BHPian

The best bet will be to get in touch with dell india support personell rather than experimenting on it.
Old 20th June 2008, 06:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Thank you all for your inputs ! I shall take up your suggestion & hopefully it gets solved !

Cheers,

Karan
@Karan,
I hope you have flashed the BIOS by now... if you have not then you need to do it as its the urgent update... and also before you contact india tech support you need to fill the international ownership transfer form which is avaliable in Dell Support Home Page under customer support tab. PM me with the service tag if yo still have the issue...
Old 17th August 2008, 22:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Update : I had changed the Power Plan from DELL RECOMMENDED PLAN to POWER SAVER PLAN and since then it hasnt got hanged even once. I had recently changed the battery , since my battery was not even lasting 15 min.

OT : How long does a battery usually last in most of laptops?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks