Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

I plan to take take the unlimited 2Mbps for a twirl for a month. At 1220, its very cheap! Also it has additional advantage of no installation charges.

I will TD it for a month and decide between that and my Airtel one (right now i have Turbo 1299 plan 512 Kbps/day and 1MBps at night, unlimited from Airtel).
Old 12th August 2009, 15:47   #32
BHPian

I have been using the railwire service for more than a year now! I have a 512 kbps plan which costs about 700 bucks and the download speed consistently touches about 50 kBps during the nights. The downtime is quite less and if there is something wrong, the customer care does reply promptly! I had hathway connection earlier and compared to that, this is heaven!
Old 12th August 2009, 15:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Can someone advise me on broadband provider:
1. Took MTNL in 2005: highly unreliable (great when working, but 50% down time, pathetic service)
2. Tata Indicom Wimax (June 2009 onwards till date): better than MTNL but still unreliable (speeds lower than MTNL when working, 20-25% down time, good customer service, but takes 10-15 mins to resolve complaints, tired of calling up every 2-3 days).
3. Airtel: not available in our society so this is not an option.

What about Reliance and any other broadband service provider/
Old 12th August 2009, 16:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I will TD it for a month and decide between that and my Airtel one (right now i have Turbo 1299 plan 512 Kbps/day and 1MBps at night, unlimited from Airtel).
Test Drive the internet connection for a month?

We are so used to the car terminology, i dont blame you for using the same to describe other services too

I am a very satisfied user of YOU Telecom for last 1.5 years. I have a 2 GB limited download for Rs.325 at 2MBPS speeds ( its quite blistering) for my home computer connection.

In the last 1.5 years, i reckon the total downtime was 3 days max
Old 12th August 2009, 16:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have used MTNL & BSNL BB they are pretty good and value for money as long as there is no line disturbances –noise or breakdowns.
The 2mbps lines gives upto 195kBps download speeds. I also used a Tata Wimax connection 256Kbps connection which gives upto 30KBps download speeds. Pretty reliable.
The Railtel tariff looks quite attractive but the coverage is very limited, it covers a small part of Bangalore.

Anyways good to see a new competitor with aggressive tariff plan, hope others ISP’s will match the offers & tariff plan given by Railtel.
I always felt that we are paying quite high for the bandwidth we consume.
Old 25th February 2015, 10:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railtel - One of the best broadband plans in India!

Waking up a zombie thread.

I have been seeing ads of high speed 'Indian Railway Broadband' service, in the local TV channels, not the major local ones. So I searched up and got surprised that this has been existing for long, unknown by many!

Would like to know how they are holding up now after years of service? Any reviews in Kerala? How can a govt infrastructure compete against another from the govt (BSNL)?
Old 25th February 2015, 10:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

had kept them on ignore mode since the coverage was low. now that i see trivandrum listed i am excited again.

but excitement deflated after seeing their low FUPs :(
Old 25th February 2015, 10:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

I have been seeing ads of high speed 'Indian Railway Broadband' service, in the local TV channels, not the major local ones. So I searched up and got surprised that this has been existing for long, unknown by many!

Would like to know how they are holding up now after years of service? Any reviews in Kerala? How can a govt infrastructure compete against another from the govt (BSNL)?
I am seeing the same in my area too, from what I have heard the connection is by the local cable operators. I am planning to trial it for a month and will revert on my experience.
Old 24th March 2015, 09:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Update after one month of usage.

Pros:
Excellent speed.(I have taken the 10 Mbps plan)
Getting close to 1Mbps download speed.(Compared to the 300-400 kbps for the 4 Mbps connection I had previously)

Cons:
Support is pathetic and the cable operators have no knowledge on the software side of things.
They only provide the hardware support.
The connection used to get disrupted often and the call centre was of no avail to remedy it.
The Wi-fi would keep dropping from time to time (The problem might be with that particular piece of hardware too).

conclusion:
In hindsight would I go for it again, perhaps not, the peace of mind and reliable connection that BSNL provided is much better.

Last edited by batterylow : 24th March 2015 at 09:09. Reason: Grammar
Old 24th March 2015, 10:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
In hindsight would I go for it again, perhaps not, the peace of mind and reliable connection that BSNL provided is much better.
Thanks for the review, batterylow. I think I will stick with my BSNL for now though connections issues are prominent.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:59   #41
BHPian

Any reviews on this at Chennai? I am looking for alternatives of BSNL..
Tikona reviews seem to be bad
Old 31st July 2015, 14:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Excellent speed.(I have taken the 10 Mbps plan)
Getting close to 1Mbps download speed.(Compared to the 300-400 kbps for the 4 Mbps connection I had previously)
Perhaps I am wrong, but something suggests me that you are confusing Mbps (mega bits per second) with MBps (mega Bytes per second).

Somehow the number you have given tally up in this fashion:
10 Mbps = 1.25 MB/s (and you are getting about 1)
1 Mbps = 512 kB/s (and you were getting about 300-400)
Old 18th September 2019, 13:28   #43
BHPian

I see this thread has been dormant for a while. However raising a query on the basis of my recent search for broadband connections. I was on the lookout for a decent fibre to home connection at home in Palakkad, Kerala and found about this service. Is there anyone who has used fibre to home connection of this provider. Can you please share feedback about them.

Last edited by rohitoasis : 18th September 2019 at 13:31.
Old 19th September 2019, 01:59   #44
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Is there anyone who has used fibre to home connection of this provider. Can you please share feedback about them.
Am using this here at Kakkanad since 2015 and no issues at all. Best thing is the response by the provider for any disconnections or no service which is rare.

I think Kerala vision cable guys are operating this service - not sure though.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Am using this here at Kakkanad since 2015 and no issues at all. Best thing is the response by the provider for any disconnections or no service which is rare.

I think Kerala vision cable guys are operating this service - not sure though.
Thanks for the feedback. May i know the speeds you get? Are they at least on par with what they have advertised? What kind of speeds have you subscribed to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks