Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 22:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Android - The Next Big Thing in mobiles?

Hi All,

I was looking for info on this, and here is what I found:

Quote:
Android is a software platform and operating system for mobile devices based on the Linux operating system and developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance. It allows developers to write managed code in a Java-like language that utilizes Google-developed Java libraries, but does not support programs developed in native code.

The unveiling of the Android platform on 5 November 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of 34 hardware, software and telecom companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices. When released in 2008, most of the Android platform will be made available under the Apache free-software and open-source license
(Source: Wikipedia)

I am all too excited about this, but dont know if existing Symbian / propreitary OS fones that have a capable but under-utilized hardware can be used with this OS (Case in point is my LG Viewty - with appropriate modifications to it's software, it behaves a lot like the iPhone or HTC Touch, but the limitations of the OS hit you fast!)

Any information BHPians have to share would be great!! A few links I read:

What is Android? - Android
Open Handset Alliance
Old 4th July 2008, 14:05   #2
BHPian

yupp it's the latest OS to be hitting the mobile !!

made by GOOGLE basically to beast up the use of various Google application in mobiles like maps, gtalk ,mail!

just like windows mobile/linux/mac os/symbian etcc!!

me too wanna have the feel of this OS!!

till then see the video tour of the OS!

Old 4th July 2008, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

So now Google will have access to your phone habits in addition to your web browsing history.

I wouldnt want any one organization or entity to know so much about me, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Old 4th July 2008, 15:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

What next?
Google Ads for toilet paper just as I sit down for my daily potty and playing Games!?
Old 4th July 2008, 15:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So now Google will have access to your phone habits in addition to your web browsing history.

I wouldnt want any one organization or entity to know so much about me, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Exactly my thoughts. I was shocked to see that I had by mistake enabled Google History and it had records of my searches since 2004. I was like What The Fish!! Damn Google!
Old 4th July 2008, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
... dont know if existing Symbian / propreitary OS fones that have a capable but under-utilized hardware can be used with this OS (Case in point is my LG Viewty - with appropriate modifications to it's software, it behaves a lot like the iPhone or HTC Touch, but the limitations of the OS hit you fast!) ...
Wrong tree! There is no such thing as "under-utilized hardware" in mobiles. If there were, the manufacturer will be able to reduce cost by removing it or replacing by less-capable (cheaper) building blocks.

LG's design philosophy is quite different from that of Apple and HTC. LG Viewty has a rudimentary OS and UI comparatively (and no 'platform'), hence investment on software was limited. Consumer benefits by very competent and usable features at far lower cost, and LG makes money by higher sales volume.

Google Android, on the other hand, is a PLATFORM more on the lines of Symbian and Microsoft WiMo - building blocks and 'portable' code. Nokia (and a few others) use Series xx UI & applications, Sony Ericsson uses UIQ, both on top of Symbian. HTC and ASUS use WiMo, but with different UI and applications. There is a Linux-based platform, used by Motorola and a few Japanese companies, but it is not a single-vendor platform unfortunately.

Android's popularity depends on whether handset manufacturers like this philosophy w.r.t. hardware costs (some changes will be required for general compatibility, and they have to provide the driver layer) and desirability of 'openness', versus revenues. In general there are no takers outside the geek world to exploit this 'openness'. This is more a carrot to independent software / application developers who would want a PLATFORM to facilitate implementation of their proprietary business logic! J2ME and WiMo don't have that facilitation and 'ease of implementation' comparatively.

Long way to go. Let it pass the first hurdle: proving platform robustness in the Beta community.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Google Android, on the other hand, is a PLATFORM more on the lines of Symbian and Microsoft WiMo - building blocks and 'portable' code. Nokia (and a few others) use Series xx UI & applications, Sony Ericsson uses UIQ, both on top of Symbian.
A small OT: Nokia has increased its share (read acquired) in Symbian and is planning to convert Symbian into open source platform. May have been in response to Googles android.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:42   #8
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Paranoid android

google always gives its user the option to keep indentifiable info out of its records. google search history for eg, has to be permitted.
they might be storing info somewhere. you cant trust anyone these days.
but so far, they have not put a step out of place, so I'm giving them the benefit of doubt till they do.

I'm a big google fan, and am waiting anxiously for the software to be launched.

google maps, gmail apps,gtalk are all available for mobiles and they do make things easier. and the best part is, its all free.

Old 4th July 2008, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no such thing as "under-utilized hardware" in mobiles. If there were, the manufacturer will be able to reduce cost by removing it or replacing by less-capable (cheaper) building blocks.
I am not sure about the LG that I use now, but I had a v3i. The stock v3i does not have EDGE, but a mobile community (am I allowed to refer to other forums?) found that the hardware is indeed EDGE capable, and even had a hacked firmware which gives fully functional EDGE - I personally risked trying it, and it worked.

I have also read about the hardware of the viewty, and it indeed seems like we can take out some more juice from this cutey - it just weeks old, so i have not started modding it yet!!!
Old 4th July 2008, 17:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Android's popularity depends on whether handset manufacturers like this philosophy w.r.t. hardware costs (some changes will be required for general compatibility, and they have to provide the driver layer) and desirability of 'openness', versus revenues. In general there are no takers outside the geek world to exploit this 'openness'. This is more a carrot to independent software / application developers who would want a PLATFORM to facilitate implementation of their proprietary business logic! J2ME and WiMo don't have that facilitation and 'ease of implementation' comparatively.

Long way to go. Let it pass the first hurdle: proving platform robustness in the Beta community.
Completely agree had posted sometime back on mob phone thread. I like the concept, and HTC Dream phone|PHONE Magazine

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th July 2008 at 17:16.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

google somehow manages to generate a lot of buzz for everything they do. TBH except for their fantastic "search" (actually indexing), all other offerings are "industry average" and have equal or better alternatives. they got the 'attitude' though.

Last edited by androdev : 4th July 2008 at 17:25.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
... just weeks old, so i have not started modding it yet!!!
You are one of a very very select set of users - a different philosophy! Alas, Android won't cater to that. It will provide an API, not a "low-level modifiable" device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
google somehow manages to generate a lot of buzz for everything they do. ... they got the 'attitude' though.
They thrive on MARKETING! Not that bad, yaar, much of their stuff is 80% usable - 20% phool-patti. That is much more than what 'better' products with 80% phool-patti give to users, and expect you to do serious Data Migration for each major release!!!
Old 4th July 2008, 17:48   #13
BANNED

Google acquired Android in 2005 and SDK was made available in Nov 2007. Its almost 9 months and no news about Android, except the 'Android Developer Challenges' by Google themselves.

Last edited by diabloo : 4th July 2008 at 17:50.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think Google's success mostly depends on the belief that we - the people - have that they are capable of giving us alternatives to the established monopolies. I was pleasantly surprised by their online excel-compatible spreadsheet and word-compatible word processor. After their search engine redefined the way we browse, they gave a new aspect to emailing and IM with GMail - all are old and been-there stuff, but presented by them in a new perspective.

I guess this expectation that they will do something better than what we have been used to is what actually interested me in Android too. Though i am not coder, I would like to test this platform, and know the hardware requirements and any other details. Lets see how it unfolds...
Old 4th July 2008, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
A small OT: Nokia has increased its share (read acquired) in Symbian and is planning to convert Symbian into open source platform. May have been in response to Googles android.
Acquired / increased stake: Yes. But that was for a different reason: most projects scheduled for delivery (Nokia is also their biggest client) are said to be badly delayed, and nor was Symbian making significant money in the 'independent' mode.

Open source? No, not likely. Google Android and Open Source are no threat for them. No one will gain anything by Symbian opening out, neither the device makers nor application developers. Most apps are anyhow J2ME based, so why open out Symbian?

Any commercial app maker can get the Symbian or Series XX API virtually for free and work with it. For those that are THAT serious about needing the OS or App set tweaked, Symbian / Nokia does it for a consideration. The ones expecting opening of the source are not the ones driving the devices and application market. The reasons for opening the source will have to be very big and ambitious for a company to think of doing it - TANSTAFL!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks