Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 23:34   #16

Finally i have decided to buy Marantz SR4002 or SR5002 depending on the cost. I called up Marantz [US] to see if they have a unit with variable power supply but they dont and suggested me to contact local dealer here.

Meanwhile i contacted Audioholics store, they confirm they could special order a unit which supports 220v for me but they require minimum 45 days to deliver to a washington address :-(

Tomorrow i'm planning to visit Audio planet to get a best quote from him before i decide next course of action..
Old 30th July 2008, 00:13   #17

For those of you who are looking for step down transformers here is a useful u

Step Down-Only for Overseas use-Type 1 Only for Overseas use
Old 19th August 2008, 10:14   #18
BHPian

jeethu2k,
So did you finally manage to buy from US? If yes, did you pay any duty, any other charges?
I'm thinking of getting one (probably Onkyo 606 or Denon 1908) from US through one of my friends who is visiting there. And i need to know what would be the net cost to me including duties, if any. If I am able to save atleast 30-35% of what it costs in India, then its worth the hassle.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
jeethu2k,
So did you finally manage to buy from US? If yes, did you pay any duty, any other charges?
I'm thinking of getting one (probably Onkyo 606 or Denon 1908) from US through one of my friends who is visiting there. And i need to know what would be the net cost to me including duties, if any. If I am able to save atleast 30-35% of what it costs in India, then its worth the hassle.
I will be getting my Marantz SR5002 during my next trip in two weeks. Its already delivered to my colleague there. It cost me about $500 including discount coupons. Think a $20 bill will help me through customs here.

Last edited by appuchan : 19th August 2008 at 12:11.
Old 21st August 2008, 00:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Think a $20 bill will help me through customs here.
You meant to say you will show some other fake bill?
Old 21st August 2008, 00:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I will be getting my Marantz SR5002 during my next trip in two weeks. Its already delivered to my colleague there. It cost me about $500 including discount coupons. Think a $20 bill will help me through customs here.

Dot underestimate the customs people to that extent my friend .
Old 21st August 2008, 00:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeethu2k View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post in team-bhp. I used to read bhp forums and post and it used to be very informative. Esp when i had assempled my ICE...

Currently i'm planning to buy any one of these models [YAMAHA RX-V863 AV , Onkyo TX-SR606B 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver] from US. Before buying it through price grabber and YAMAHA online store i caught hold of a sales guy from 6ave store on chat he told me they dont have Asian model i.e unit with variable power supply.

I'm planning to buy it from US as i found there is huge diff in the price. Can anyone let me know if you are aware of any store , will there be any tax in bangalore airport [as my friend is travelling from US to india next month]

Thanks in advance

Jeeth
Jeeth,

Welcome, ! this is a fav topic, I got down a Yamaha 2400 (Australian model multivolt) 7.1 amp 4 years ago. This is from the states, bought it from Flagler street in Miami FL

I had specifically taken two suitcases for this purpose, had unpacked the amplifier, wrapped the amplifier in my suits/clothes so that it does not get damaged and brought it down.

Why placed it in a suitcase ? Cos then i went straight to the Red Channel, got the bag x rayed and went out. If you get the drift pm me. If not yet pm me.

The piece came straight however the weight of your suitcase (one single piece) when I flew NW to AMS and BOM should not have exceeded 35 pounds, this was a mandatory requirement or we paid in US$ towards the costs of extra pounds (that was a lot imagine not even kilos).

Anyways moral of the story is if the Customs officer does not see any fancy packing (original packing) and labeling its okay to negotiate with them.

Cheers, if you require any further info do PM me.

M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 21st August 2008 at 00:20.
Old 15th September 2008, 23:15   #23
BHPian

Does FM radio work in the models brought from US?
Planning to import Onkyo 606 or some Denon and want to make sure that FM will work in India.
Old 16th September 2008, 01:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Does FM radio work in the models brought from US?
Planning to import Onkyo 606 or some Denon and want to make sure that FM will work in India.
It will work, my 6110 radio worked in the states and Europe, i dont think you should have a problem,

If you are in the IT industry think of it like an ISO standard, their reception, our reception, uh, but the transition isnt so great.

For example, if in a car you sat from Jacksonville FL tuned to one radio station, you can hear it right upto Miami, FL, not the same way here in India, 350 miles/350 kms no no. If you tune in to Gurgaon/Delhi, it would last you till Shahpura (NH4) no more not into Jaipur,

Sorry for the offbeat but practical info, you see i am too much into the Yeti!

cheers

M M
Old 16th September 2008, 09:45   #25
BHPian

Thanks mmmjgm. But my core question remains unanswered.
FM radio from India SHOULD work in the US, but vice versa? That is what I am doubtful about.
Why? Because in India, the increments in the frequency while tuning are 0.05Mhz while that in the US is 0.2Mhz and it tunes only on "odd" frequencies (i.e 88.5 to 107.5 in steps of 0.2Mhz).
It means that if a radio station in India airs at an "even" frequency, a FM radio from US won't be able to tune exactly to the same frequency.
E.g in Mumbai, Fever 104.0, although seven other stations operate at odd frequencies.
And hence, I specifically asked this question.
Old 16th September 2008, 11:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mmmjgm. But my core question remains unanswered.
FM radio from India SHOULD work in the US, but vice versa? That is what I am doubtful about.
Why? Because in India, the increments in the frequency while tuning are 0.05Mhz while that in the US is 0.2Mhz and it tunes only on "odd" frequencies (i.e 88.5 to 107.5 in steps of 0.2Mhz).
It means that if a radio station in India airs at an "even" frequency, a FM radio from US won't be able to tune exactly to the same frequency.
E.g in Mumbai, Fever 104.0, although seven other stations operate at odd frequencies.
And hence, I specifically asked this question.
What you can do is surf the manufacturer's website for the model details, generally today's AV amps have the functionality of being used anywhere in the world. (does not make sense making different versions for each geography) except for voltages.

Research your model, and buy, if you believe that the particular model which you like does not have the functionality you would have to search for an Asian or Australian model within the states to buy, I did the same thing.

The only issue which I think you might face is that if you are not in a big city like Miami, NY, LAX, Las Vegas SFO, Denver etc is that you may not get the Asian or Australian model there.

As a market the USA is the largest and the most varied, you would get anything there.

Research and go, ask the dealer whether this would work in India.

All the best on your purchase.

regards

M M
Old 17th September 2008, 08:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
You meant to say you will show some other fake bill?
Not show a fake bill... but GIVE a "currency bill"
Old 17th September 2008, 20:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Got it, thank for the clarification
Old 17th September 2008, 22:56   #29
BHPian

Lucky guys. Where do you'l get friends to lug bulky 10+ kg boxes back to India? I have an old school Alpine F340 lying with a friend for 1.5 years and couldnt get anyone to carry it back yet :-(

BTW, I got my receivers from the US. Yes, I carried them back myself. First time around it was a Denon 1603 and the customs folks took $40 to let me go. So dont count them cheap. I use a 750w step down transformer as power supply. No issues.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sadly a lot of people are unaware of customs rule. :-)

In general if you are above 10 yrs of age, and have stayed abroad for 3 days or more, you are allowed a maximum of 25000/- as duty free allowance and 1 Laptop( above 18 yrs of age). Also 1 litre of alcohol and 200 cigarettes.

General guidelines: Carry a bill for any purchase made. So if you bought a Receiver for 500$, carry the bill with you. You can show that to the customs guys and say it is below the 25K allowance. However if you are carry other new electronic items then that cost is added as well.

So if your total cost comes to around 30K, you need to pay 37.5% on the excess amount (37.5% on 5K).

So don't be fooled into paying more as bribe when you might probably get away without paying anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks