Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:43   #1

Please help me with details on "How to buy AV amplifier from U.S"

Hi all,

This is my first post in team-bhp. I used to read bhp forums and post and it used to be very informative. Esp when i had assempled my ICE...

Currently i'm planning to buy any one of these models [YAMAHA RX-V863 AV , Onkyo TX-SR606B 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver] from US. Before buying it through price grabber and YAMAHA online store i caught hold of a sales guy from 6ave store on chat he told me they dont have Asian model i.e unit with variable power supply.

I'm planning to buy it from US as i found there is huge diff in the price. Can anyone let me know if you are aware of any store , will there be any tax in bangalore airport [as my friend is travelling from US to india next month]

Thanks in advance

Jeeth
Old 22nd July 2008, 23:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

all the above are available in india as well

PS: why not marantz ?
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:05   #3
BHPian

try Harman Kardon and Marantz too!!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:06   #4
BHPian

I would be cautious in buying Home audio etc from the US because of the voltage issue ( US being on 110 vs 220 in India). Please do check the equipment that it has multi -voltage capabilities. Using a transformer isnt realy a solution and is known to cause problems in the long run.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Using a transformer isnt realy a solution and is known to cause problems in the long run.
What type of problems...???
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Well a couple of my friends have experienced humming sound from there amps .
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeethu2k View Post
Currently i'm planning to buy any one of these models [YAMAHA RX-V863 AV , Onkyo TX-SR606B 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver] from US.
Quote:
I would be cautious in buying Home audio etc from the US because of the voltage issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
What type of problems...???
1. You can save a lot but there will be no warranty, and duties are applicable on such items. Customs are not inclined to believe your bills. They will levy duties as per their "ready reckoner".

2. Many amps have transformers that can be re wired for 220V. Basically the primary of the transformer has 2 110V windings that are connected in parallel in the US and in series in India.

3. Using an external transformer will only cause a lot of electricity to be converted to heat. After all the secondary of the external transoformer will see an inductive load (priamry of amp's transformer).

4. Alternately there are lot of transformer shops in India that will rewind your transformer from 100V to 220V. Eddy current losses are primarily dependant on the quality of the laminations of the transformer and since you wil beusing the improted laminations and only investing in new wire (for the winding) your modified transformer should work as well.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can buy 110 V equipment : make sure not to plug it in in India , directly

Quote:
...they dont have Asian model i.e unit with variable power supply....
You can buy the amp from US : in addition you will have to buy a good quality 230-to-110V- step down transformer in India(MAXINE is good enough). This will cost about Rs1500/-

Quote:
...Using a transformer isnt realy a solution and is known to cause problems in the long run.
Quote:
Well a couple of my friends have experienced humming sound from there amps .
I have not faced any problems in using a step-down transformer : the key is to buy a good quality one , otherwise it will heat up and also make the AV unit hum. The current rating ( of the step-down transformer )should also be sufficent to run the AV unit

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 23rd July 2008 at 11:36.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

With a transformer, you'd always get sub par performance unless you manage to get a really high quality one that is rated at 4-5 times the transformer inside your equipment. Else it would not be able to provide enough juice during the times when high current is needed by the amp. Also getting a transformer that does not dirty the input power is another hard issue. If these are not properly sorted out, you'd get hum problems as sk456 mentioned.

Another feasible option is to rewire the input transformer inside the amp. Also I'd buy Marantz over Yamaha or Onkyo or Denon anyday if music is a priority. For strictly HT any of those would do.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd July 2008 at 11:38.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:36   #10

Thanks so much everyone for the response & advice...Reading diff cons i get a feeling that i should buy from india or dubai and lead a peaceful life rather than messing up on the power supply part.

Reignofchaos - Where in bangalore do i get to taste Marantz?
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

You are allowed to carry good worth RS25,000 duty free if you are aged over 12 and have beenout of India for more than a few days. In addition you can carry your used effects such as clothing, mobile phone etc which are duty free.

So carry your receipts with you and produce if required. If your AMP is worth more than RS25,000 then in reality you should walk through the red channel and declare you have the amp and pay duty.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone for the response & advice...Reading diff cons i get a feeling that i should buy from india or dubai and lead a peaceful life rather than messing up on the power supply part.

Reignofchaos - Where in bangalore do i get to taste Marantz?
ARN systems (Coles Road) carries marantz but their bread and butter is higher end stereo stuff. Some of the Cinebels (jamo shops) carry Marantz as well. Even Audio Planet in Koramangala deals in Marantz.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

hot transformer brainstorming session!

Quote:
Using a transformer isnt realy a solution and is known to cause problems in the long run.
My parents, in Mumbai, have been using a step-down transformer to power their home theatre system for the past few years. Heat is the only problem. Solution is to keep the thing well ventilated; a 12Vdc 80-120mm computer fan (or an AC fan, if you have one lying around) works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. Many amps have transformers that can be re wired for 220V. Basically the primary of the transformer has 2 110V windings that are connected in parallel in the US and in series in India.
Hey, that's another option. Thanks - it never even crossed my mind!
Old 25th July 2008, 14:06   #14
BHPian

Well, I use a step down, but its a small transformer 200watt. (for stereo 50 watt rms) its as big as the palm of the hand. No issues what so ever, been using it for past 2 years. Sounds the same. I think you would need a much bigger transformer.
Maybe you can search for dual voltage amplifier? Rewinding the amp, guarantees?
Old 25th July 2008, 22:36   #15
BHPian

I have been using a Step-Down transformer for the last few months with my Denon HT and i have found no noticeable hum noices.

Most Viewed