Team-BHP - Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/42942-suggestions-international-sim-cards-mobile-networks-when-travelling-abroad-3.html)

I recently travelled to Netherlands and France. Picked up a Vectone SIM (Vectone). Receiving is free anywhere in Europe (first 10 mins of every call), outgoing to India works out to 0.09 Euros/mn (Due to the 100% free credit when you topup) and weekend calling to India is absolutely free. Check it out.

Hai,

We'd be just 2 of us, car hire and gas is expensive in UK compared to any othe place, but if you want to reach all nooks of Scotland, you need a car, so I've selected VW Golf or Ford Focus thro. Europe Car, hope I'd get a decent one when I land.

Did a small research on Avis, Hertz, National, Europecar, Thrifty, Eary car, Enterprise & 1car1 to decide, spent 3 K on phone calls to UK to get finer details before I decided, Fabia was available but no Yeti.

I found that you need "0" excess insurance or end up with a huge deduction (up to 250 - 500 GBP :Shockked:) from your credit card when you return the car even for a small scratch or a bump on the car.

-------

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1506677)
ha
thanks for the info

whatever you choose have a super trip - most enjoyable the places you are visiting. Wish you a lovely holiday. If you're driving about in the UK maybe you can rent a Skoda Yeti for your trip and share the experience of the vehicle? Unless of course you've decided on something else instead!

cheers!:)

Yes, stay away from Martix!!

It seems like they intentionally "mess up" the billing.

Iraghava's expereince (from earlier in this thread that i have just merged your thread into) :
Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 915071)
The cheapest & easiest method that I've found is to use a local sim card of the country you're in. With Matrix billing issues exist as I discovered in 2003 (When I first took one to the US) and after I'd returned it & cleared my dues they called me a month later saying there was an outstanding of Rs 45,000/- against my account for usage on dates when I didn't even have the phone! :p

Never used them again.

Also, a forwarded email i received from a friend of a friend...
Quote:

Subject: Matrix telephone cards
Date: Friday, 21 August, 2009, 10:49 PM

Just to let everyone on my list know how my whole day was wasted due to my credit card being fraudulently used by Matrix......the company that "let's you lower your phone bills while travelling abroad."

I used a Matrix card when I went to Europe in June this year. They insist on a photocopy of your credit card to be given to them as billing is done directly to the credit card.

In June Matrix billed me for someone else's phone usage to the tune of Rs. 10000+ which I disputed. My several attempts by phone and email yielded nothing. I therefore sent a dispute form to my bankers who today sent me details of why I was billed. I was shocked to see that somebody from their office had forged my signature (which didn't even match mine at all) and given my credit card photocopy authorising payment for somebody else's Matrix card. So I called up the Branch Manager of Matrix and threatened them with criminal action. Suddenly everyone out there woke up and they came over cajoling me not to file an FIR and that they had taken action against someone from their company who was responsible for that and who was fired by them. When I asked them pertinent questions about whether they had filed any FIR, they could provide me with any answers. So I asked them to put it in writing as to what had happened and what action they intended to take...in the next hour itself.

While this was being done, I called up to cancel my credit card and was shocked when I was told that JUST YESTERDAY Matrix had billed me for Rs. 10000+ in 3 bills. So I had to get another Dispute form, fill it up and send to the Bankers.

Matrix's top guys in Mumbai then came home and tried to "buy" me over to keep the matter hush hush...........but they tried it with the wrong guy!

I intend teaching them a lesson they won't forget in a hurry.

Please ensure that you DON"T use Matrix any time.. They don't have any control systems in place and even their employees don't seem trustworthy.

Caveat emptor...........Let the buyer beware.

Nerio
cya
R

I tried Singtel prepaid card in singapore. The call charges to india were very cheap at 14cents a minute and i got S$10 value for S$10. Highly recommended if you travel to singapore. Only passport copy required and activation is instant.

Reehan thanks for merging the threads...

Matrix called, I pointed them to this thread, they were pretty foxy, told them to take a looooooong walk:)

Just signed with Uniconnect, marketed by Make my Trip, also they are into corporate international travel. The guy came to my office and explained, looked OK, here's the deal.

All rates in INR:
For Italy, Germany, Paris, London all incoming is FREE outgoing 50/-
For Switzerland incoming 25/mt.and outgoing 180/mt.
Every pulse is a minute. All SMS are about 35/- very expensive comparitively. So this is only for voice calls, you can have the number before you depart. I'd use this card to call in an emergency, calls from India would be charged regular roaming charges.

Pre-paid: Sim Deposit 1000/- which gives you 1000/- free talk time. You can take a 4000/ card, unused portion would be returned to you by cheque within 21-30 days after you return the sim, you must use minimum 1000/- worth of talk time, which I think I'd in 25 days.

Post Paid: No problems, they'd just take your credit card details, I said a big NO THANK YOU, I know better ways of committing financial self-immolation!!!!

For SMS, the best is Vodaphone, their card is ONLY for SMS, about 12/- per sms, entry with as low as 100/- keep a deposit of 1000/- or so use it, unused portions can be used for voice calls when you come back, it's a life time card.

Looks like my problem is sorted out, would report when I come back.

Power to the consumer!!!!!

========

I am going to the US and badly want a SIM for which I can get the number now. I used the Matrix on my visit to UK and found it was good.

But with the large number of compliants with Matrix, I am not confident.

What are the other options, How is Uniconnect? Any reviews and experiences?

Presenting the New AIRTEL WORLD SIM :thumbs up
Airtel presents “AIRTEL WORLD SIMTM ”, a unique pre-paid SIM card for international travellers that allows you to receive incoming calls on your India Airtel number and still save up to 85%. You can also make outgoing calls across the world and in the country you are in at a fraction of international calling rates

airtel website

Very good rates for international outgoing too.

Available only in the NCR region now?

Considering the fact that in most western countries, the SIM is usually free and the talk value is same as the voucher amount, the tariff of airtel , I should say, is horrendous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamswift (Post 1873264)
Considering the fact that in most western countries, the SIM is usually free and the talk value is same as the voucher amount, the tariff of airtel , I should say, is horrendous.

Can you describe about which SIM you are talking about is free??

Any SIM. I bought Vodafone pay as you talk in the UK - the SIM came free, and for the money I paid, I got talktime. But that is not a world SIM or anything, regular PAYT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1873267)
Can you describe about which SIM you are talking about is free??

Vodafone, Lebara, Lyca to name a few. There are many more...
For instance, I paid 5 pounds for a Lebara sim + talk time of 5 pounds.
You also have option of paying 20 pounds and get talk time of 30 pounds.
Call to India - mobile: 0.07 and landline - 0.05 (In pounds) per minute.
This works out to about Rs 3.4 per minute if you are calling landline.

@iamswift, ph03n!x
Thanks guys. I currently use DOCOMO whenever i travel through countries and earlier was VODAFONE in UK, but, Vodafone SIM was of Localite. Hence asked about it.:)

Hello!

If you are going to UK and Scotland its better to buy a local sim card.
UK has a very liberal cell phone policy. They dont even ask you your passport copy. The best sim card is the LEBARA sim card
Its cheap and call rates are good. In fact they also offer lower rates for international calls made from the UK.

I am a seafarer and ofter use the lebara card when my vessel calls at UK ports.

Naj

Please note that in Uk these sim cards are available at the post office also.

is it worth to buy an android mobile and use skype in it ?
my dad will be going to Germany for a week and will be making local calls there and calls back home.