Team-BHP - Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/42942-suggestions-international-sim-cards-mobile-networks-when-travelling-abroad-8.html)

I will be traveling to Manila next month for 2 weeks. Any suggestions for SIM card with good data and voice plans?

Has anyone used the Reliance WorldSim Europe sim? They seem to be giving the best value for money (on paper). I want to know about their service and whether the sim works as it is supposed to work. Any hidden charges / fine print charges over and above what they claim?

An Australian entrepreneur had started a website called datago.co. SIM cards of many countries (mostly developed nations) are available with them. They do worldwide shipping and their response on email has been good. They also provide express shipping which costs around 30 AUD, which will provide tracking facility. I had recently purchased a Telstra Australia SIM card. Worked like a charm. Got it shipped within a week of ordering through their express shipping. They have all three types of sim-Normal, micro and non sims in a single package, the desired size can be pushed out. They also have a world roaming sim, which is currently not being stocked.

I will be travelling to UK for 10 days later this week. Should I buy a local sim there ( if yes which company) or a Matrix sim from here?

Buy Lycamobile SIM for free and do a £5 / £10 topup. International calls are at 1p/min!
Also. opt for atleast a data bundle if not the 'All in one £10' bundle, as data is very expensive and will eat your balance in around10 mins of usage.

I have a question about international Roaming.
I need to use my India number just for GETTING SMS. In USA incoming SMS is free.

So I can get this seamless SIM from reliance India, and get SMS in the USA.
However there is no clarity on whether missed calls will be charged or not.
If they will be charged, its going to be hefty billing for me.

I am thinking, what if I do the following
In India, forward all calls to some local number.
Take the phone to USA.
So all SMSs will come in, but calls will get diverted to some other India number.

Will it work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 4071455)

Take the phone to USA.
So all SMSs will come in, but calls will get diverted to some other India number.

Will it work?

Not sure about the charges for missed call on international roaming, but in case of call forwarding, all forwarded calls are billed as regular calls even when you are in your local area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 4071455)

Take the phone to USA.

Will it work?

I dont understand why an operator will charge you for a missed call. At least I dont get charged for any missed calls on my Airtel number when I am in Germany. I just see the calls and dial them back from my German number.

Hi,

My mother is travelling to Florida on a 10 day trip. What is the best mobile connectivity option for requirements as regular short calls and a little internet? Is Airtel international plan good enough (Rs.2999)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4187926)
Hi,

My mother is travelling to Florida on a 10 day trip. What is the best mobile connectivity option for requirements as regular short calls and a little internet? Is Airtel international plan good enough (Rs.2999)?

I would suggest you to look at !dea international discounted pack valid for 10 days. The rental is Rs 599 + Rs 149 (IR activation fee) if your mother is not going to use mobile oftenly and can use WiFi for free where she stays and voice call once in a while if out of the house.

This will benefit you on the overall bill compared to a Rs 2999/- plan.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 896
Size:  22.2 KB

Cheers,
Amey

TSIM was recommended by a friend who used it for their Europe trip.

Seems like a pretty good offering, though do note that "Unlimited" data actually means 250MB per day!

Rs. 1,989 for 7 days
Rs. 3,249 for 14 days
etc

https://www.tsim.in/

I am travelling to the USA and am on Airtel network. The phone is Redmi 3S prime and I am unable to latch onto AT&T network, which is the only one showing in Denver. Tried contacting Airtel and they have been useless so far. Initially they told me my call forwarding is activated and hence it isn't working, and I see that the call forwarding is disabled. Sometime, during late in the night here, I get some calls but no SMS at all and I am not sure whats happening. Anyone here knows what the issue is what I can do to get it to work?

For UK LycaMobile is very good. Am in London now and got the SIM for £1 and recharged for £5. This gives me 500mins of calls to India, which is more than enough for a 1 week trip. After recharging SMS SAVE to 2525 for the savings package to be activated. No data option taken since hotel and office having Wi-Fi.

I am travelling to Singapore in mid June for 4 days. Need a pre-paid/postpaid local SIM. Suggestions please!

For 4 days, you can look at roaming packs from Indian service providers, quite decent option.
I used airtel 1000rs pack for my week long visit to SGP last year.