Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 21:24   #1
BANNED

Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Hi Guys,

We have been using Matrix for our last few trips but in Feb when we went to Italy they looted us, billed us for calls that we never mage, GPRS that we did not use etc.

Now we are planning a Scotland trip in Sep and were looking for alternatives. I saw some ads for Sim cards which will retain the same number in a number of countries, with free incoming etc. Any suggestions/experiences with any company other than Matrix?
Old 24th July 2008, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

For Scotland, buying a local T-Mobile prepaid SIM might be cheaper. Last time I used it, cost was 5 pounds and came with some talktime as well. Unlike US, incoming is free in UK.

But their roaming rates are atrocious, so useless if you are planning to use same SIM out of UK.

T-Mobile Sim Card on eBay, also, T Mobile UK, Sim Cards, Mobile Home Phones (end time 24-Jul-08 20:34:37 BST)
Old 24th July 2008, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

The cheapest & easiest method that I've found is to use a local sim card of the country you're in. With Matrix billing issues exist as I discovered in 2003 (When I first took one to the US) and after I'd returned it & cleared my dues they called me a month later saying there was an outstanding of Rs 45,000/- against my account for usage on dates when I didn't even have the phone!

Never used them again.
Old 24th July 2008, 23:40   #4
BHPian

Best is to use the local prepaid sims, they are pretty good try out various schemes they have, you can get vodafone and others (not aware of others in the UK) but study them and use the prepaid cards.

For a states trip I landed and went to an AT&T shop got a US$ 30 prepaid card, was good. Whatever the call charges may be ask for a roll over card (the ones where your balance does not expire ) as normally we do not make a lot of calls overseas, i generally used a calling card to call home to India and the outgoing was toll free on the sim to such numbers.

Cheers and have a safe trip.

MMM
Old 25th July 2008, 11:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Reliance Passport is suppose to be good, i haven't used it myself tho.

But getting a local pre-paid sim card is far cheaper always.
Old 25th July 2008, 11:43   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Matrix international SIMs are outrageously expensive; too many bad stories around. Do what I do: Before boarding the plane, transfer all calls to voicemail. This way, your phone can stay powered on over the entire trip (without the ringer going off at weird hours), and you can communicate with friends & family via SMS. Once a day, make a 1 - 2 minute call to quickly check your voicemail for any urgent issues.
Old 25th July 2008, 15:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I go with ishan. Local SIMs work fine.

That said, Malysia is CHEAP for calling india. While Thailand is frightfully expensive. Make sure you buy from chota markets so you get calling cards for India as well.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:28   #8
BHPian

A happy customer!

I guess I am the only one happy customer of matrix here. When we went on a tour of New Zealand in Dec2008, they had charged us for 0800-toll free nos, but apart from that, everything was as perfect as they had promised us it would be. Overall usage over close to 20 days came to 11k. And I thought it was a pretty decent deal.
Old 6th April 2009, 13:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I guess I am the only one happy customer of matrix here. When we went on a tour of New Zealand in Dec2008, they had charged us for 0800-toll free nos, but apart from that, everything was as perfect as they had promised us it would be. Overall usage over close to 20 days came to 11k. And I thought it was a pretty decent deal.
+1 : We used Matrix in France and Italy and I was pretty satisfied with them.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:56   #10
BHPian

always used local SIM cards
Old 7th April 2009, 00:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Local cards are always better, But if you dont have that choice or need a number before you leave, go for Matrix. I found them worth for UK. I just spend about 2.7K for 10 days in UK while I spend 7.3K on Aircel roaming in US.

But I didnt opt for Matrix in US on my second trip as I found their plan wasn't that great. Singapore & Malaysia was also great with free incoming etc
Old 7th April 2009, 02:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

buy any pay as you go simcard and use your indian phone here in UK and scotland.

All providers have gr8 deals but 3 and vodaphone calls are cheapest.

and its takes 2 mins to get a sim here.
Old 7th April 2009, 08:48   #13
BANNED

How is Uniconnect or clay Connections? Any idea about them?Which one of them is best?
Old 7th April 2009, 08:51   #14
BANNED

Even there is V Tel international pre paid card and post paid.Has anyone used them?any ideas which ones are the best?
Old 7th April 2009, 08:53   #15
BANNED

The problem with Martix is its just for one country.I am looking for a permenant International Number,which can be used when out of India.Does anyone have any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks