Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2019, 11:45   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
I am travelling to Singapore in mid June for 4 days. Need a pre-paid/postpaid local SIM. Suggestions please!
Just back from a week long trip; tourists get cheap data (only) sims in Singapore airport for different time/data amount based plans - affordable and with good data network across the island. All local networks work well.

Keep international roaming (~149Rs) on your India sim for free incoming sms (and to receive calls if required); and get the data sim once you land. Inside the airport, wifi works seamlessly for 2 hours to get the sim.
Old 12th May 2019, 12:42   #122
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just back from a week long trip; tourists get cheap data (only) sims in Singapore airport for different time/data amount based plans - affordable and with good data network across the island. All local networks work well.

Keep international roaming (~149Rs) on your India sim for free incoming sms (and to receive calls if required); and get the data sim once you land. Inside the airport, wifi works seamlessly for 2 hours to get the sim.
Thanks for the update.
I conclude the below points from your post, please correct me if I am wrong-
1. I need to recharge my Indian SIM for IR to keep receiving calls. But I have been quoted around Rs1000/- from my operators (Jio/Airtel/Vodafone) including data. Is it possible to recharge for IR without data, since the price you quoted is much lower.

2. Once I land at Changi airport, I need to get local SIM for data usage. So basically, I have to use 2 SIM cards.

3. It requires 2 hours approx. to get SIM at Singapore. Is it?
Old 12th May 2019, 12:45   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
For 4 days, you can look at roaming packs from Indian service providers, quite decent option.
I used airtel 1000rs pack for my week long visit to SGP last year.
Yes, using IR packs is also a decent and hassle free option. I was just looking for something cheaper as my complete family is travelling so cummulative cost of recharging becomes higher.
Old 12th May 2019, 18:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Once I land at Changi airport, I need to get local SIM for data usage. So basically, I have to use 2 SIM cards.

You can take a normal Starhub tourist data sim at Changi airport valid for 3 days, 7 days, 1 month or 6 months. So the amount of data is free and there is a method to call India at local rates depending on the type and cost of your sim. The sim data is valid in neighbouring countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China etc.

The time required for buying and registering the sim is 5 minutes.
But bear in mind, you can take only 3 sims registered on your passport in Singapore.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 12th May 2019 at 18:51.
Old 12th May 2019, 23:07   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
You can take a normal Starhub tourist data sim at Changi airport valid for 3 days, 7 days, 1 month or 6 months. So the amount of data is free and there is a method to call India at local rates depending on the type and cost of your sim. The sim data is valid in neighbouring countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China etc.

The time required for buying and registering the sim is 5 minutes.
But bear in mind, you can take only 3 sims registered on your passport in Singapore.
Got it. Thanks for the info.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:27   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Takes 15 minutes. You'll need your passport.

At the airport the 1 shop we checked at only had a $30 (30 days) option.

Got this from another store in the city (same cell provider as the one at the airport, just a lower amount). Way cheaper than the stupid options Vodafone offers too:

Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad-20190524_125300_hdr.jpg
Old 25th May 2019, 04:46   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Takes 15 minutes. You'll need your passport.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Way cheaper than the stupid options Vodafone offers too:

Attachment 1878564
Exactly. Yesterday I went to local Vodafone store here to enquire about international roaming (IR). I was quoted around Rs. 3100 (approx.)- which includes Rs.100 recharge for activation of IR and top up of Rs.3000 for calls, SMS, data etc. Way too costly.

So, I decided to just recharge with Rs.100 to activate my IR through Vodafone, because this way I will get to know who is calling me (especially-urgent office calls) and getting a local sim at Singapore for all other purposes.

Again, thanks for the info!
Old 2nd June 2019, 14:23   #128
BHPian

Hi guys,

I need a sim for a week in Italy. Would prefer data over calls. The sim should also work in Switzerland.

Any suggestions?
Old 2nd June 2019, 14:37   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Hi guys,

I need a sim for a week in Italy. Would prefer data over calls. The sim should also work in Switzerland.

Any suggestions?
Try matrix sim card which is the 2nd preferred sim card options for EU in my opinion. In my last trip to Paris I received from matrix sim from India with a UK number that works in all EU countries seamlessly. That comes with both voice and data in built and they have plans that will last few days with local minutes and India minutes (in some plans unlimited too).

But with matrix I did face some low networks quality in some places of the main city.

Vodafone should work in both countries otherwise, I mean if you take a new vodafone sim card after landing in Italy. Their Swiss roaming is free too, given the scenario that Swiss is an exception as its not a member of the EU.

Remember that not all providers let you tether your sim data or let you use as hotspot to run other devices unless you buy a plan that supports it even if you have enough data to support your browsing from phones
Old 2nd June 2019, 14:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Hi guys,
Any suggestions?
Did anyone try Jio international roaming? In my recent 2 day trip to Italy, I activated international roaming on my Jio sim card and it worked perfect!

I took a daily plan which costs around Rs 450 per day, incoming calls from India and the country you're visiting are free. You get 250MB of high speed data and remaining at 64kbps or so. There are some free SMS as well. You get 100 minutes of talk time to India and the country you're visiting.

There are weekly plans and 28 day plans as well.

Connectivity wasn't an issue at all. Calls to Jio numbers in India get connected as if you're dialing from within India. Even though Jio is 4G only network in India, the same sim uses 2G, 3G and 4G networks to serve you data abroad.

I find this option much better than matrix cards because your original number will be active and you can receive calls on them for free.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd June 2019 at 14:44.
Old 2nd June 2019, 14:48   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Did anyone try Jio international roaming? In my recent 2 day trip to Italy, I activated international roaming on my Jio sim card and it worked perfect!
Thanks for suggesting, I will try this next time, was your number prepaid or postpaid? I do travel with my personal postpaid vodafone number on international roaming and it does work great too. But the main reason why I have to always keep a international / local number from the likes of matrix is that some local services like Cabs, etc are easier to setup with a local number than with a non EU number, also if you have business with locals then although your incoming is free on Indian numbers on international roaming and on a value recharge /pack yet it might cost your callers a bomb.

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2019 at 17:06. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 3rd June 2019, 18:19   #132
BANNED

Today with WhatsApp overseas SIMs are almost passe. Also roaming rates have crashed. Once the 'aam admi' has these then matrix like stuff is becoming redundant.
Old 6th June 2019, 12:55   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Try matrix sim card which is the 2nd preferred sim card options for EU in my opinion.
Just watch out for Matrix because they are known to do a lot of shady billing stuff.

There were a ton of complaints of overcharging posted by several forum members - though that was several years ago.
Old 9th June 2019, 16:48   #134

Folks, I need some advice. I'm moving to the New Jersey, U.S.A this month and I wanted to purchase a SIM card to make calls in the U.S. both local (to the U.S) as well as calls to home in India. I am not sure if I should purchase the SIM card in the U.S. after landing at the airport or if I should buy one in India one or two days before I'm set to travel.
Which is better ? Which is cheaper ? Any advice is hugely appreciated.
Old 9th June 2019, 18:11   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
I'm moving to the New Jersey, U.S.A this month and I wanted to purchase a SIM card to make calls in the U.S. both local (to the U.S) as well as calls to home in India.
You said you are moving, so I am assuming it's a month long or even longer travel. You have to remember that local sim cards are the best always for longer term use and remember it's not just you calling India but locals calling you and vice versa. So depending on your location chose which carrier fits your bills better be it Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.

But another worry for you is to keep the India number for banking OTP / verification unless you are leaving that with relatives. So you have to anyway keep that in service with international roaming.

If this is not your first travel to the USA them you already have SSN and it will be handy to get you a phone number on landing. Otherwise if this is your first travel it will be a few days until you get a address proof to say the least like rent contract.

For first time travel, if you can live with your international roaming regular India number with some plans and package and WiFi based WhatsApp calling then all of set. If not, go for an additional sim which offers best cheap rates and good service feedback, several suggestions are there on this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks