Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 13:38   #5461
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
.... you can always use RO water. Modern RO systems provide decent descaling, so there should be no fear of spoiling the fins.
Imagine people discussing various refrigerants from the consideration of being eco-friendly and then using RO filter water! For the 5 litres or so of each tankful at least 35 ltrs water are wasted/dumped! (In my opinion, RO purifiers ought to be banned by the government).
Old 1st August 2017, 13:43   #5462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Imagine people discussing various refrigerants from the consideration of being eco-friendly and then using RO filter water! For the 5 litres or so of each tankful at least 35 ltrs water are wasted/dumped! (In my opinion, RO purifiers ought to be banned by the government).
Then what water do you propose citizens should drink?

Assuming you're from Delhi, I'm sure you are aware of the water situation in Gurgaon. One only has two options: Bisleri or other 15/20 litre plastic cans, or an RO system. The purity and hygiene of Bisleri cans themselves is suspect so one simply can't do without an RO.

The supply of treated and purified water from municipal corporations can't meet with the demand in most cities: heck, most suburbs in tier 1 cities survive solely on tankers, which carry hard water.

An RO, hence, is absolutely necessary.
Old 1st August 2017, 16:26   #5463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are not even sure what the bubble top bottlers do with the excess water post filtering.
For safe drinking water, boiling could be an option, but aren't we wasting fuel when boiling so much water?

In our house, we collect the waste RO water and use it for washing the car, moping the floors and sometimes in the washroom flush. It gets utilized this way.
Old 1st August 2017, 17:19   #5464
Distinguished - BHPian

Hats off to those that collect the waste. Yes, you are being more responsible than, errm... I am.

We probably only treat a few litres a day. We do not waste much.
Old 1st August 2017, 17:39   #5465
Senior - BHPian

Hi fellas,
Require recommendations for a 1 - 1.5 ton split AC that will be sparingly used.
Requirements are:
1. Good dust filtration
2. Super long life
Old 5th August 2017, 19:54   #5466
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good 0.75-0.8 ton window ac for a small bedroom? My Voltas Vertis has conked off & my mechanic has told me to buy a new one.
Also, which place to buy it from? Whether Vijay Sales or Croma or any other option?
Old 6th August 2017, 01:15   #5467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Can someone suggest a good 0.75-0.8 ton window ac for a small bedroom?
purchased a Daikin 0.8T made in Malaysia piece for 19500, but through a friend. Not sure who the dealer is, this is Chennai. Have installed it in our living room which is about 120sq ft and it is keeping the hall comfortable but not super chill.
Old 6th August 2017, 07:44   #5468
BANNED

Quote:
I tend to agree. In Kanpur we have refrained from RO systems and still rely on the Water Purifiers, with candles and UV. However, we find it the next time round we will be forced to get an RO since the Aqua Guard chaps have stopped supplying spares to independents (almost all the chaps are ex-Eureka Forbes). The problem come in Electronic parts esp boards. Other things are available outside. EF service is good on promise, and poor on delivery.

Now non-RO units are all but dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Then what water do you propose citizens should drink?

Assuming you're from Delhi, I'm sure you are aware of the water situation in Gurgaon. One only has two options: Bisleri or other 15/20 litre plastic cans, or an RO system.
I know the situation in Gurugram. Housing complexes are forced to rely on water from multiple sources, so RO becomes almost mandatory. I find the water from an RO too soft.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:50   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Same case in Bengaluru. Eureka Forbes doesn't touch electronics on Non RO units. The RO units waste almost a bucket of water, so feel guilty everytime. This water is unfit for anything I'm told. What a waste! We need an Elon Musk to find us a solution!
Old 7th August 2017, 10:57   #5470
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
purchased a Daikin 0.8T made in Malaysia piece for 19500, but through a friend.
Have heard good things about Daikin, but never knew they have AC's in 0.8 ton category. Will check, but from what i heard Voltas has a few options in that category.
Old 7th August 2017, 17:33   #5471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We need an Elon Musk to find us a solution!
To re-invent the wheel?! The solution already exists but has been 'discarded'. Do read Sgiitk's post above - the old Eureka Forbes' filters used candle filters, activated charcoal and ultra-violet light, and did a splendid job of it. No water was wasted/dumped in that processing.
Old 9th August 2017, 21:59   #5472
Senior - BHPian

My 1.5 T Voltas Split AC started throwing hot air from its indoor unit yesterday after some 15-20 minutes of operation.

It was chilling well when started but suddenly I noticed warm air coming from indoor unit. I was surprised as there was no burning smell either.

I switched off immediately and removed the main supply.

Before I call technician over weekend, any pointers on why an AC without heat pump can throw hot air suddenly? Compressor failure ?
Old 10th August 2017, 02:40   #5473
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have just started it, it will take the air from above it and blow it, and it is surprisingly hotter up there by the ceiling. Otherwise, I would just call that technician. Compressor failure or gas leak does not make it blow hot air: just room-temperature air, ie it does nothing except blow.

But you might feel it as relatively warm if it had been cooling before.

Our second-hand mix'n'match stopped cooling a few days ago. It failed back in late May, and our guy did a quick-and-dirty just-charge-the-gas. This time, he found a cracked nut, charged us only for call out and gave the gas for free
Old 10th August 2017, 03:00   #5474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now non-RO units are all but dead.
Off topic : Here's is a product that might interest you. Been using them for almost a decade. My only complaint is lack of presence across the country and long term parts availability but this seems to be a problem with almost every manufacturer.

I had to discard the first purifier I bought as they stopped making the membrane filter for it. I replaced the unit with another non RO unit made by Permionics.

http://permionics.com/pureflo/products.html
Old 10th August 2017, 07:34   #5475
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK ultrafiltration is next step before RO. However could be wrong.

So this unit does not have any reject water stream?

Last edited by Eddy : 10th August 2017 at 14:23.

Most Viewed