Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 14:25   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

As a guy from a cold country...

I've never been keen on those oil-filled heaters. You need to keep them on for some time before they warm themselves up, and longer before they have any effect on the room. You have to sit right on top of them to really feel any warmth from them.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:53   #1697
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
so i've decided to go for Daikin Inverter for following reasons.

1. constant cooling with less fluctuations in temperature.
2. savings on electricity bill as i'll be using the ac atleast 15-18 hrs a days for 6 months in a year
3. compressor is always on so less wear and tear and less breakdowns.

I was talking to a dealer and he offered to come home and calculate tonnage requirements.

He gave a break-down of electricity bills of 3 star, 5 star and inverter according to my usage. But interestingly he asked what kind of heater i used for the winters. I told him a bajaj blower heater though i was not very happy with it's performance and that i wish to buy 3 Oiled Filled Heaters for my rooms.

He told me i could go in for the Inverter AC with both Cooling and Heating functions. He said this AC will work for both the seasons and effectively warms up a room during chilly winters of delhi.

:: Welcome to Daikin Air Conditioners India Pvt. Ltd. ::

so i'm here to ask you guys what do you think about this ? The 1.5 Inverter is costing me Rs 38000 and the Inverter with Cooling+Heating is coming to Rs 57000.

Thats a jump of Rs 19000. I was wondering if i go for the only the Inverter Cooling option then i'd still have to spend about Rs 9000-11000 to get a good quality Oiled Filled Heater. Plus i'll have to find a place to keep it in the room.

Whereas with the Inverter with Cooling+Heating i can have the convenience of both cooling and heating in one unit and also save the space and it looks much neater.

But i had a few questions....

1. Anyone using these two in one ACs ? Are they able to comfortably heat up the room during winters ?

2. Does a 9-11 fin Oiled Filled Heater comfortably heat up a 150 sq ft area ? or will the AC with heating facility provide better performance/heating ?

Winters will come every year, year after year and i want to be able to have comfortable temperature for my parents and myself.

Am i better off with a AC + Oiled Filled Heater or with a AC with Cooling/Heating ?

Thanks guys
bump. friends need some feedback on this...
Old 28th April 2011, 14:47   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so i'm here to ask you guys what do you think about this ? The 1.5 Inverter is costing me Rs 38000 and the Inverter with Cooling+Heating is coming to Rs 57000.

Thats a jump of Rs 19000. I was wondering if i go for the only the Inverter Cooling option then i'd still have to spend about Rs 9000-11000 to get a good quality Oiled Filled Heater. Plus i'll have to find a place to keep it in the room.

Whereas with the Inverter with Cooling+Heating i can have the convenience of both cooling and heating in one unit and also save the space and it looks much neater.

But i had a few questions....

1. Anyone using these two in one ACs ? Are they able to comfortably heat up the room during winters ?

2. Does a 9-11 fin Oiled Filled Heater comfortably heat up a 150 sq ft area ? or will the AC with heating facility provide better performance/heating ?

Winters will come every year, year after year and i want to be able to have comfortable temperature for my parents and myself.

Am i better off with a AC + Oiled Filled Heater or with a AC with Cooling/Heating ?

Thanks guys
The AC with heater come in two guises
1. Those that have a heater. Here the thermostat is adapted to work for both the AC and the Heaters. This was prevalent mode thirty years ago.

2. AC based on Heat Pump. These units can direct the cooling in either direction. In one mode the cooling is directed indoors and the heating outside. Most of the AC work in this mode. In the other mode the roles are reversed and the indoor unit gets heat. I have no idea how these work, but have read that they are more efficient in both the modes compared to conventional AC and Heaters.

HowStuffWorks "How Heat Pumps Work"
Heat Pump vs. Air Conditioner - Carrier
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 21:25   #1699
BANNED

1. Any members using a Heat Pump based AC ( Cooling + Heating ) ? What are your experiences ?

2. Do these ACs heat the room much better than say a 9 fin Oiled Filled Heater ?
Old 29th April 2011, 01:02   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you mean something like this?

Eventually the heat from one of those things will spread through a room.

Also, you need to specify the wattage of the electric heater and the heat output of the AC machine. Maybe one of our professionals will be able to compare one with the other, as the units will probably differ.
Old 29th April 2011, 01:25   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i had a query regarding your above statement.

i read on another forum where a gentleman said.

Reading yours and the other gentleman's comments has left me confused. Both the theories seem to contradict each other. Could you comment on above.

Thanks
Hey, logging in after a break of sorts. Now what the person on the other forum is saying is partly correct and partly incorrect too.

He is right in saying that more current is drawn during the 'on' operation compared to flat out running. However he is incorrect in saying that a slightly smaller capacity is the way to go. This is like using a 10 ton capacity truck to carry 15tons. The reason he propagates that is to keep the compressor running to avoid the off and then the energy sucking 'on' operation.

The inverters also avoid the off and on but in a different manner. Once the desired temp is achieved the inverter mechanism slows down the compressor that is the RPMs or the SPMs (rotary/reciprocating respectively) are reduced. This allows the unit to hold the temperature constant and avoid the off on cycle. This infact will get better results than a lower capacity unit running full steam all of the time and also result in much lower wear and tear as the unit is able to run much lower speeds once the initial load has been met with. Further on the flip side during situations when the load is higher than usual a properly sized inverter will be able to increase the speed of the compressor to meet the increased demand where as the undersized machine will huff and puff all it wants and yet leave everyone uncomfortable in the process.

Trust that answers the query.

Please see my comments in bold within your post
Quote:
I went to my local dealer in the evening who deals in Daikin and Hitachi amongst other brands. He pretty much has all brands in his showroom.

The above makes me believe he is not a direct Daikin dealer. A Daikin dealer will in all probability be exclusive or may have either the General or Panasonic as supporting lines. This was pretty much true untill the last season and I do not think this would have changed much.

Unlike other salesmen this person knew what he was talking about and impressed me with his knowledge. Here's what he told me...

- hitachi's "Kaimin" is unparalleled.
Kaimin is just a sleep timer and almost all machines have it.

- hitachi uses a DC fan motor.
All inverter machines use not only DC fan motors but DC compressors too. It allows for more tighter and cleaner control on the speeds etc.

- hitachi has Stainless steel plated filter
SS plated filter where??

- hitachi has auto humid control
Very doubtful. Daikin has introduced humid control machines under the name "Ururu Sarara" only last year internationally. If Hitachi had this it would have gone to town advertising the same.

- hitachi ace cutout consumes less power than the Daikin G series.
- hitachi has more cooling power than Daikin G series.
- hitachi has lots of service centers/franchisees and excellent customer service support.

The above 3 comments (as also the rest) are based on the better dealer commissions that Hitachi offers.

He said that Daikin does not have enough service centers and does not have good customer support.

You already know the Daikin site, check ut the service network, they are like dime a dozen now-a-days.

I was and still am more keen on Daikin for some reason and He said.... "Sir i'm happy to sell you either as it's up to you which you decide but if you'd like me to make a suggestion then i'd say go for the Hitachi.

I have read some posts that the Hitachi 2010 models were not as good/reliable as their 2009 models. Is that true..? I wonder what's the status on the 2011 models. ?!?

Yes that is correct

This has left me totally confused.... :(

Well as I can see from your following posts, the confusion is gone and in case there still an iota of doubt, I suggest that you go back to the above dealer and ask for the remote units from the two machines to be shown. The matter will be settled once and for all.
Quote:
so i've decided to go for Daikin Inverter for following reasons.

But interestingly he asked what kind of heater i used for the winters. I told him a bajaj blower heater though i was not very happy with it's performance and that i wish to buy 3 Oiled Filled Heaters for my rooms.

He told me i could go in for the Inverter AC with both Cooling and Heating functions. He said this AC will work for both the seasons and effectively warms up a room during chilly winters of delhi.
That is one keen salesman. It is a great idea.

Quote:
i had a few questions....

Thanks guys
Quote:
1. Any members using a Heat Pump based AC ( Cooling + Heating ) ? What are your experiences ?

2. Do these ACs heat the room much better than say a 9 fin Oiled Filled Heater ?

A cousin has a couple of these two in one machines (with the heat pump) and they work great.

I myself have three 9 fin Delonghi's for our bedrooms, varying between 160 and 125 sq.ft and one 11 fin Usha lexus for the tv/dining area + living room both rooms being approx. 240~280 square feet. The bedroom units are good to go through with the worst of winters, the larger rooms however do need a 9 fin unit in addition to the 11 fin unit during the coldest parts of the season say December 3rd week to January end.

The thing is that the Delonghi units are no longer available after the ruling necessitating the ISI mark to be present on all electrical items being sold in Dilli was implemented. I checked a lot of other brands in the market last season but eventually found that the Usha lexus was the best thing going. Having siad that it is not a patch on the stuff by Delonghi. In this scenario you would be better off getting the heat pump units. BTW have you bought water heaters for the next winters?

The only negative that these machines have is that they can cause dryness which the oil filled radiators will not. This is based on the experiences of my cousin and his parents who run these machines in their bedrooms. My aunt and uncle are more uncomfortable compared to cousin and his wife, guess that is due to the age differential.

Talk to the Daikin guys and try get the 'Ururu Sarara' machines. Three is a good no. to bargin with and the carrot of an additional two will only help smoothen things out.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 12:05   #1702
BHPian

Can we have a poll attached to this thread, there are so many point of views and opinions its hard to go through all and not get confused. I still dont know which is a good brand to buy (except for the bias towards General). A poll with all the brands (based on service and performance) would make things easier.
Old 29th April 2011, 19:26   #1703
BHPian

Planning to go for a window 1.5T from Hitachi Summer QC series, got a quote of 26300 for the 4 star unit. Anyone got any better quote on this ?
Old 29th April 2011, 19:28   #1704
BHPian

Guys any inputs on Haeir Split AC's?? Hows the performance and A$$?
I need this on my farmhouse which is about 100 km from the city.I am specifically asking for Haeir as I am getting a good deal on it as it is seconds ka maal and the dealer is a friends relative.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:57   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I need this on my farmhouse which is about 100 km from the city.I am specifically asking for Haeir as I am getting a good deal on it as it is seconds ka maal and the dealer is a friends relative.
As you are far away from the city I would suggest the following

1. Install Window Air conditioners
2. Install one or two more than required.

In case one AC goes on the brink, just pull out a working AC and put it in place of the non working AC. It is a DIY job, as long as you have the muscle power! Thus you are never at the mercy of the A.S.S. Another factor is that as you are far away from the city, the technicians will always charge, at least for transport. You can always take the conked AC to the repair shop.
Old 30th April 2011, 21:23   #1706
BHPian

I saw an ad on the paper today for a Sharp Split AC with free microwave. What are your views on the Sharp brand and their ACs? Its a 3 star 1.5 ton AC I'm thinking of.
Old 30th April 2011, 22:18   #1707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Have been running a Haier window AC for about 3 seasons now, no issues as yet. However I was told quality of Haier units has deteriorated over the last couple of years, and components used currently are not as good as they used to be (whatever that means).

That said, I went and installed a Panasonic Cube split AC (1.25 TR) for the price of a window AC: Panasonic launches World's First CUBE Split AC. Also changed another AC to a Hitachi 1.1 TR window AC for the price of a split AC - but I hope to recover the difference in a couple of seasons since this is a BEE 5-star rated unit with much lower power consumption (this AC usually runs over 12-14 hrs/day in summers).
Old 30th April 2011, 23:05   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
I saw an ad on the paper today for a Sharp Split AC with free microwave. What are your views on the Sharp brand and their ACs? Its a 3 star 1.5 ton AC I'm thinking of.
Sharp makes great airconditioners. Be sure to ensure that they have service providers in your area.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 23:43   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Sharps are excellent air cons. In terms of tech they are pretty much up there at the top of the AC pile.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 12:01   #1710
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

They are offering exceptional service like SMS the problem and they'll call back in an hour. Fix in a day or replace the whole thing in a week (if can't be fixed in time). It also has some purifying technology.
How would it be compared to an LG? I was also looking at a similar priced LG 5 star split (this one: http://www.lg.com/in/air-conditionin...G-LSA3ER5N.jsp VS Sharp: http://sharpproducts.in/productdetai...x?cid=13&id=23 )

Thanks again.

Last edited by goingout : 1st May 2011 at 12:03.

Most Viewed