Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 21:52   #1816
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

"Is" was an error. Indeed I meant, Voltas was in race.O general is available for 25000(m) and 27500(with remotez0 for rotary compressor and 28000 for reciprocating compressor.
I have almost fixed the products.
1) 1.5T Whirlpool 3Star with stabliser for 22500.
2) 1.5T o general for 28000(reciprocating compressor)
Thank you all for valuable inputs.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:14   #1817
BHPian

Are splits tougher to service than window AC

For e.g. is the outdoor unit of split harder to clean because it may be in a risky position outside building, and service man wont have stable support to clean.

In addition to filters, I've learnt, serviceman should also clean coils.

Some friends told me servicemen are lazy, and dont bother cleaning split outdoor coils.

Can I presume servicing windows AC is easier?
Old 17th May 2011, 01:56   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
O general is available for 25000(m) and 27500(with remotez0 for rotary compressor and 28000 for reciprocating compressor.
I am pleasantly surprised by the prices for the General. Time to replace some old window units of my own then. Trust these prices are with bill and warranty.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:36   #1819
BANNED

Just saw in an advt that Videocon are using copper coils. So there must be some others as well.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:04   #1820
BHPian

Got installed a spilt AC last weekend. Below are the details:

Model: Voltas Vertis Premium 1.5T (3 star)
Price: 25000
Stablizer: 2500
Installtion: 1200
Outdoor Stand: 300
Total: 29000

(+)
-Good design of indoor unit
-Digital display showing temp setting as well as room temp.
-Also shows mode selected.
-Child lock on remote (this is life saver as my 1.5yr old daughter keeps fiddling with it. In fact I love the confused look that she gives when she presses button on remote and it doesn't result in beep)

(-)
So far none.

I have little faith in made in china stuff so went for Voltas. But to my surprise the Indoor unit for this model is also made in china, saving grace is that at least outdoor unit is made in India.

So far unit is working fine. But recent comments on Voltas quality in this thread have worried me a bit (read them after making purchase). Lets hope that it'll continue to provide good service.

One query here. Is the water discharged by outdoor unit fit for watering plants/grass? If yes, I can add a small extension pipe so that all the water is directed to my small lawn and my floor remains dry & clean.
Old 17th May 2011, 18:23   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just saw in an advt that Videocon are using copper coils. So there must be some others as well.
Sir, AFAIK all of the better ones are using copper coils. Some others are using copper coloured aluminum coils. Yet others offer both depending on where the product series sits in their range. Another one about which I heard recently is that in a lot of machines the straight pipes are copper and the bends are Aluminum as it is difficult to bend Copper without cracking. I wondered if the person telling me this had ever seen the copper tubing and capillaries on the inside. How they manage to fuse or braze the two different materials elicited only a "I'll check and come back" response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
I have little faith in made in china stuff so went for Voltas. But to my surprise the Indoor unit for this model is also made in china, saving grace is that at least outdoor unit is made in India.

So far unit is working fine. But recent comments on Voltas quality in this thread have worried me a bit (read them after making purchase). Lets hope that it'll continue to provide good service.
Hey Kamboj,
Congratulations on your purchase. Vertis premium is the top of the line offering from Voltas made with better components and much better than their other series so forget about whatever is posted and indulge in the comfort provided by your new toy. However do let us have an update or two as the season goes by, something in the middle and then towards the end would be highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
One query here. Is the water discharged by outdoor unit fit for watering plants/grass? If yes, I can add a small extension pipe so that all the water is directed to my small lawn and my floor remains dry & clean.
Oh yes, it is clean enough to drink, just kidding. On a more serious note though it is good enough for gardening, washing your vehicles etc.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 20:21   #1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Is the indoor unit leaking (this is abnormal) or you are talking about the water coming out of drain pipe at the outside (this is normal)?

I hope the copper pipes are insulated properly.
The indoor unit was leaking. Insulation I have a big doubt was done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@sanjayc: Two possibilities - either the drain line is blocked, or has a big bend somewhere, allowing water to reach teh top of the tray inside. Once the tray fills up and the water does notoget drained this is exactly what happens.
Thanks sir! This is indeed what must have been happening. I discovered and straightened out a chink in the drain pipe and the unit is not leaking now. At least nothing is noticeable outside. But if it WAS leaking, then the pipe was not jointed properly and is still so, perhaps. Have been unable to call the installation guys back, but at least the crisis is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
It is also quiet possible that the copper pipes are not insulated properly by the technician, causing condensation on the insulated portions.
Again, yes! I am very doubtful of the quality of insulation. How can one make sure of the correctness of insulation? Is there an objective way of judging it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
One bucket of water overnight is normal in Delhi, especially now a days as it is very humid. If the water is coming out of the drain pipe it is OK, if it is dripping inside, then immediate action is required. I had such leakage two years ago (due to blocked drain) and the water seeped into the wall and one whole wall was ruined.
Thanks for the forewarning. After reading your post I had immediately switched it off for good till was able to find time to devote on this!
Old 17th May 2011, 23:35   #1823
BHPian

Hi,

After going through this thread from the first page to the last page, one thing is clear that choosing an Ac is equivalent to get married, you never know whats next even when all the precautions are taken.Well temperature already touching 43 in Delhi NCR , hence went to the market to search for the AC for the drawing room ( Usage will be 4-5 hrs and that too when watching TV).

Since I don't want to get in to the trouble of Split Ac installations hence I am opting for the Window AC.Already have 2 Non-star LG 1.5 Ton Ac in my bed room as well as in my parents room since April 2006.Only parents room Ac was re-filled with GAS in INR 1500.Yesterday read a post in which I got to know if during the Ac turning on hissing sound is the indication of GAS refill or pressure problem.
Searched net and asked the refilling rates.One person said 1450 , other said 2000 , third one said 2500 and that too after 3 days.Well I have decided to leave it on the Ac, whether its loyal to cross this summer or wants some bribe to run properly.

Also searched market and found at one dealer that Only Hitachi is using its own compressor in its AC.Rest other Voltas/Onida/Godrej are using Toshiba compressors ( 1.5 Ton ) and the rates are mentioned below for reference.

2 Star
Onida/Godrej: 17500 ( MAX)
LG:18700 ( MAX)
Voltas : 20500 ( MAX )
Hitachi :22500( MAX)

3 Star
Onida/Godrej:19500 ( MAX)
Hitachi : 24500 ( MAX)
LG : 21900 ( MAX )

5 Star:
Hitachi : 28800 ( MAX )

LG/Samsung/Whirlpool are using Helgee Compressor.( have myself seen in the AC)

As per the budget I am planning for Onida since this Ac will be used very less as compared to the bed room AC.

So TEAM-BHP kindly advice since I am planning to buy one latest by 23rd of this month.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Ghaziabad
Old 18th May 2011, 00:50   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Toshiba 5-star window Ac's. Check em' out. Also LG had one before, I guess it is not rated 4 star.

PS- Star rating is based on test conditions and the ac never really does work at that efficiency.

you also need to keep the cost factor in mind. a 3-star window might cost 60% of a 5-star ac which is worth based on your usage. Do the math and you will know what you need.

Ogeneral also has powerful 1.5 (1.8 or something in reality) and 2.0 tonne window units.
Old 18th May 2011, 02:13   #1825
BANNED

Guys is it true that a 1 ton Inverter model can perform at the same level of a 1.5 ton Rotary compressor model...?

i was having a conversation with my friend who somehow has got this idea fixated in his head via speaking to a AC dealer and he's planning to go for a 1 ton inverter model for a 150 sq ft room on the top floor of a Mumbai flat.

i want to save him from making this mistake !!
Old 18th May 2011, 06:38   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hi,

After going through this thread from the first page to the last page, one thing is clear that choosing an Ac is equivalent to get married, you never know whats next even when all the precautions are taken.Well temperature already touching 43 in Delhi NCR , hence went to the market to search for the AC for the drawing room ( Usage will be 4-5 hrs and that too when watching TV).
Could be for some ACs, but in my 7 years of usage of General, not with General window ACs. You always are sure that it will just work great. The only way for it to leave you home is that you get bored and/or want a bigger/different AC. I had one for 7 years usage (7 seasons) and it only required regular servicing.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:11   #1827
BHPian

The practice I see with all AC installers is to supply a 4KVA stabiliser with an AC, ranging between .75 to 2 tonnes. I notice that a 1T ac power rating specs says running current = 5A & power consumption=1100W - do I need a 4KVA stabiliser or 2KVA should be sufficient, or it does not make any difference in terms of power wastage by the stabiliser? More specifically, would a 4KVA stabiliser draw more current than a 2KVA stabiliser provided the same equipment is connected to both?
Old 18th May 2011, 10:31   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Guys is it true that a 1 ton Inverter model can perform at the same level of a 1.5 ton Rotary compressor model...?

i was having a conversation with my friend who somehow has got this idea fixated in his head via speaking to a AC dealer and he's planning to go for a 1 ton inverter model for a 150 sq ft room on the top floor of a Mumbai flat.

i want to save him from making this mistake !!
A 1 tonne inverter model has a range below and above 1 tonne. But it won't perform at the efficiency of a 1.5 tonne ac. When we say a 1 tonne ac, it usually ranges from .5 to 1.3 tonnes max.

I am using two 1 tonne inverter Daikins for my 140 sq.foot rooms and it cools well considering I have set temps at 25. It takes 8-10 mins to cool. Considering Mumbai Summers wont see 40+, your friend should be good if he can live with the conditions I have described.

PS: Our Videocon 1 Tonne which cost me 66% of the Daikins cool equally well.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 10:40   #1829
Senior - BHPian

If we have a chance to source General AC from the gulf, will it be a good idea to use it? Will it be better than the Generals sold here? And what about service/spares support? Of course,it is understood there will be no warranty!
Old 18th May 2011, 10:59   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If we have a chance to source General AC from the gulf, will it be a good idea to use it? Will it be better than the Generals sold here? And what about service/spares support? Of course,it is understood there will be no warranty!
I remember long back 12yrs when my uncle got a General AC, but that was a different scenario, when only few products were available.
I don’t think it is worth the effort & cost and to bring an AC from gulf country nowadays when similar products are available here.
Generally AC’s sold in India are tropicalized to withstand the voltage fluctuations and dust condition additionally you are covered under warranty incase of anything going wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks