Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 21:27   #1966
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Hello rana_kirti,

Kindly find attached the plot lay out as an attachment.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-plot.jpg  

T Y A G I is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 23:40   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
@gendarmee;Also, the grill temperature should be significantly lower than the ambient. I am only think of either compressor issues, or very low refrigerant charge. Please do follow it through. If the behaviour is the same then chances of a leak are low.
The grill temp measured with a naked thermometer at full blower speed was 13.4 degrees, which the technician said was optimum, so we measured another 1t one and found it to be 9deg at the slowest blower speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
@gendarmee,
are you sure these are qualified technicians, with grill temperature of 13.4 they are still scratching their heads and blaming 245V are indications. Did you ask the 'technician' as to what the reference value should be when he took the gas pressure from 70 to 60 and 70/60 what?? What was his explanation when this degassing measure did not bear any fruit? The 48 sq ft area is nothing for a 0.9 ton machine, unless the install is not in an rcc structure. BTW does the ODU have a clear area behind it to enable the fan to throw out hot air without any hindrance and who is the manufacturer?
All these were technicians sent from Hitachi, after I lodged a complaint through their call centre, and came from their head office. 9 technicians came so far, but, about 15 tickets were opened and 12 closed w/o anyone turning up.

Refrigerant charge was 70, and now is 60. The range suggested by the technician was 60-70. Even after the decrease in the charge the performance is the same. No, this technician decreased it after checking the IDU and ODU but failed to turn up afterwards, and so another technician came in his place checked the gas charge and blamed that.
Yes, the ODU is 6 inches from the wall & the verandah is pretty breezy.
Spoke to the Hitachi service head in person today. He blamed the extra bit of voltage for the lack of cooling too, I said I'd rather return the unit than get the house wiring overhauled, as none of the other ACs had a problem. Got a call in the evening saying that they'll replace the IDU in a week or two. Hope that helps.

Last edited by gendarmee : 30th May 2011 at 23:44.
Old 30th May 2011, 23:56   #1968
BANNED

dear lalit,

wow, the hitachi is 20-25 ft away from the kitchen and still is able to cool it from there. That's amazing.

Do you think this is because the the "throw" capacity of the hitachi is very long or is it because the fans in the drawing room spin that cool air through the arch and then the other fan near the kitchen circulates that air into the kitchen ?

20-25 ft is a long distance and by the very helpful and detailed diagram you have put i can see that the drawing room is 200 sq ft and the central room next to kitchen is another 400 sq ft and the kitchen must be about 50-70 sq ft.

That's a lot of area being cooled by a 1.5 ton AC buddy.

Regards,

Rana
Old 31st May 2011, 01:05   #1969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hello Eddy Sir,

Congrats.Kindly share the way you follow up with HITACHI so that others can also get the way out.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Sir ??

Anyways, call the call center. Shout on them. Get a call back promise.

Call back again after twenty min. Shout again and speak to a supervisor. Get through. Get assurance of a call back within half hour.

Wait for half hour. Call the call center again. Speak to the supervisor. Shout and shout. Shout some more till he actually takes somebody from the service center on the line.

Get assurance that the AC will be attended to within two hours.

Finally the AC gets attended and you swear not to touch Hitachi again.

You switch on the machine, and it performs so well that you actually are tempted to remain loyal to Hitachi.

Reminds anyone of the good ol' Fiat ?
Old 31st May 2011, 01:13   #1970
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Shout on them. Get a call back promise.
Call back again after twenty min. Shout again and speak to a supervisor. Get through. Get assurance of a call back within half hour.
Wait for half hour. Call the call center again. Speak to the supervisor. Shout and shout. Shout some more till he actually takes somebody from the service center on the line. swear not to touch Hitachi again.
Oops, this might not go well with Prof. He just bought a brand new Hitachi thinking the service to be great. Actually this was the reason he preferred it over Sammy.
Old 31st May 2011, 01:17   #1971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Oops, this might not go well with Prof. He just bought a brand new Hitachi thinking the service to be great. Actually this was the reason he preferred it over Sammy.
Oh, and this was on the 12th day after lodging the complaint

I have a Samsung and a Hitachi unit both. In the third week of April, I put in a service request for both the units on the same day.

Samsung promised a TAT of 24hours but took 7 days to service it.
Hitachi promised a TAT of 72 working hours but took 10 days to service it.

Dunno which is worse.
Old 31st May 2011, 08:12   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
dear lalit,

wow, the hitachi is 20-25 ft away from the kitchen and still is able to cool it from there. That's amazing.

Do you think this is because the the "throw" capacity of the hitachi is very long or is it because the fans in the drawing room spin that cool air through the arch and then the other fan near the kitchen circulates that air into the kitchen ?

20-25 ft is a long distance and by the very helpful and detailed diagram you have put i can see that the drawing room is 200 sq ft and the central room next to kitchen is another 400 sq ft and the kitchen must be about 50-70 sq ft.

That's a lot of area being cooled by a 1.5 ton AC buddy.

Regards,

Rana

Hello rana_kirti,

The HITACHI is cool the drawing room + central room + kitchen because of the helping hands of the 3 * 70 watt fans which perform their duty very well like a soldier being executing the commands of a commander to get the mission cooling successful. Also I try my level best that the cool air does not get leak through the spacing in gates below area or window area. Also the position of HITACHI is such that in the central room where we take dinner, we can feel the cool breeze from it. Hence mission is accomplished without putting too much load on compressor as I put settings as posted before.

The only thing which I wanted from the drawing room ac before purchasing was to cool the kitchen area as well since that ac will be running mostly during watching tv or taking dinner.

And Fyi before HITACHI I used to open the gates of both the back rooms as well and in almost 2 hours, both LG 1.5 ton ac could cool full built up area including 2 back side rooms, central lobby , kitchen , drawing room and toilet and bathroom. The key to cooling is ac plus fans since you need proper circulation of air to get the desired temperature from scorching outside 45 degree to comfortable 26 - 28 degree.and that was when our second floor was not built and we were living on first floor with roof naked to sun.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 31st May 2011, 09:26   #1973
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Samsung promised a TAT of 24hours but took 7 days to service it.Hitachi promised a TAT of 72 working hours but took 10 days to service it. Dunno which is worse.
So its a toss up between Bad & Worse. Prof choose the greater of the two evils because he says service of Hitachi is better than Sammy in his City.

Wonder how much that patchy service helps a Company? Service should be of uniform quality. if they want to deliver good.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:25   #1974
Senior - BHPian

The key to getting good service from Hitachi (or any other brand), is to get the phone number of the mechanic who comes. Then you lodge a complaint with the call center, and call the mechanic. He will come as soon as possible (1 day max). I have been doing this for five years now and face no problems.

Another thing, as there is a lot of dust, the hot end of the AC (in window type) and the outdoor units get clogged with dust very fast, and thermal efficiency drops. So we get the AC serviced twice in a season. I clean the dust filter every three or four days, and that helps a lot.

If you are getting a new AC, the following steps would ensure flawless installation
. Inspect the Unit when it is unpacked and refuse to accept it if it looks old, damaged.
. If possible pay only after successful installation
. In case of a split, ensure that the gas is evacuated with a vacuum pump. If the installer does not have one, send him back.
. Ensure that all the piping of a split AC is tight and properly insulated.
. Let the AC run for at least 3-4 hours before signing the installation
. In case of any problem, do not relent and insist that the problems be rectified before signing the installation papers.
. Register the AC (if possible) at the manufacturer's web site.

The installation crew normally tries to come in the evening so that you have no time for a thorough testing. Insist on their coming in the morning. Send them back if they arrive late, and they will come early the next day.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:33   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
So its a toss up between Bad & Worse. Prof choose the greater of the two evils because he says service of Hitachi is better than Sammy in his City.

Wonder how much that patchy service helps a Company? Service should be of uniform quality. if they want to deliver good.
Patchy service does not help the company. But they have no solution as they normally subcontract the service. As such I have found that mechanics; normal ones, forget good ones; be they AC or WM or Purifiers are hard to find, and all the good persons ultimately want and do start their own business. Also company employees cost any where between two to five times of what the sub contracted ones cost, so it is trade off between excellent service at an exorbitant rate or patchy service at a reasonable rate.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:37   #1976
BHPian

Quote:

Samsung promised a TAT of 24hours but took 7 days to service it.
Hitachi promised a TAT of 72 working hours but took 10 days to service it.

Dunno which is worse.
In this case, thumbs up to whirlpool service.Their mechanic showed up within 12 hours of raising a complaint on the two occasions. The call center communicated TAT of 24hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The key to getting good service from Hitachi (or any other brand), is to get the phone number of the mechanic who comes. Then you lodge a complaint with the call center, and call the mechanic. He will come as soon as possible (1 day max). I have been doing this for five years now and face no problems.
Whirlpool call center sends a sms with mechanic details within 2-3 hours of raising a complaint and one can call the mechanic and fix it up the convenient time. I have done this last time i registered my complaint with them.
They even send a sms after your complaint has been closed in their system.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:51   #1977
Senior - BHPian

I raised a service request with voltas for general servicing of my window a/c. No one ever showed up or called. But the a/c runs without making any fuss. This was in 2010.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:48   #1978
BANNED

May you guys please tell what is better for two rooms.
A multisplit ac or two individual ac ?
In one room ac use is pretty less .Individually i would require two 1.5 tonnes units in each room.Whereas as per my research a single 1.5tonne multisplit will also take care of both.But i am confused about reliability of multisplits as they have valve actuated mechanism for control of refrigerant flow in each indoor unit .
Also not major difference in cost between two options.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:28   #1979
BHPian

Guys need a suggestion: Had a window AC LG 7 years old - 1.5 tons. some days back its cooling effect was down. sent the machine to the local mechanic shop. got a call that there is a leakage in the tubes at 4-5 places. he suggested if the tubes are plugged and gas refilled he shall not take guarantee for the same as in LG/Samsung the tube thickness is very less and are prone to leakage. He suggested 3 alternatives:
a) He shall return the AC without any charges.
b) He has a stock of 3-4 year old hitachi 1.5 tons AC which he claims he buys in bulk from the companies like infosys which change their ACs every 3-4 years. He is quoting a price of Rs.6500 for the same.
c) He is also a dealer of Blue Star which he has quoted for Rs 16500 for 1.5 tons in exchange .

request your valuable feedback

Last edited by dkcrpl : 31st May 2011 at 16:29.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:56   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcrpl View Post
Guys need a suggestion: Had a window AC LG 7 years old - 1.5 tons. some days back its cooling effect was down. sent the machine to the local mechanic shop. got a call that there is a leakage in the tubes at 4-5 places. he suggested if the tubes are plugged and gas refilled he shall not take guarantee for the same as in LG/Samsung the tube thickness is very less and are prone to leakage. He suggested 3 alternatives:
a) He shall return the AC without any charges.
b) He has a stock of 3-4 year old hitachi 1.5 tons AC which he claims he buys in bulk from the companies like infosys which change their ACs every 3-4 years. He is quoting a price of Rs.6500 for the same.
c) He is also a dealer of Blue Star which he has quoted for Rs 16500 for 1.5 tons in exchange .

request your valuable feedback
Hello dkcrpl,

IMO never ever go for a second hand AC since the AC has its own life time which cant be increased by just cleaning from out side, as the gas flow through the coils and hence with time, just like you faced the problem with the current LG Ac, same you may face in the coming years may be after 2-3 years or may be more in case you get a good condition piece.

It would be advisable to exchange this AC to a new AC, but I am really not sure about the performance of Blue Star.In the long run if you want to have peace of mind then go for a new unit either from General or Hitachi depending on your personal choice w.r.t cost,after sales service,durability and looks as well.Hitachi and General both are king in their own categories.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks