Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 20:22   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
, obviously the temp. indicated on the LCD has to be taken for the truth, otherwise what's the use of the indicator!
Some of these dispalys have both set temp and actual temp displays, some have only one!
How large is the room that you can cool down to 16 celsius?
Old 26th February 2009, 20:34   #257
BANNED

@Anup, well the rooms are big sized, but Ive tried all the A.C's in most of the rooms, for the same area, O-General does the least cooling.
Even Videocon A.C's arn't good enough, but their .75 Ton A.C is a good performer. I have one in my Bathroom, does a good job.
Old 26th February 2009, 20:37   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Anup, well the rooms are big sized, but Ive tried all the A.C's in most of the rooms, for the same area, O-General does the least cooling.
Bhp1, I think you need to have that unit checked out!
And what size room can be taken to 16 celsius?
Old 26th February 2009, 20:44   #259
BANNED

Did that initially only, but that's all it cools. I already said that O-General's USP is its fan/blower speed & not cooling per say. The high speed of the fan makes the users get a false impression of cooling, this is the catch in O-general A.C's.
Old 26th February 2009, 20:48   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did that initially only, but that's all it cools. I already said that O-General's USP is its fan/blower speed & not cooling per say. The high speed of the fan makes the users get a false impression of cooling, this is the catch in O-general A.C's.
Well, bhp1, my reading would be that higher fan speeds would give better penetration into the room and this would delay the overall temp from coming down, but finally, it would attain the set temperature.

And, as I'd said earlier, fan speed is always user controllable!
Old 26th February 2009, 20:49   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@KB, obviously the temp. indicated on the LCD has to be taken for the truth, otherwise what's the use of the indicator!
The temperature indicated in most cases is just indicative - only very few AC's give you the readout of the ambient temperature of the room.

Secondly you will find that to cool a room the air coming out of the AC is actually much much cooler than any temperature set. Please get yourself a digital thermometer and check this yourself (or when the technician comes you could see this for yourself). The temperature of air coming out at the grill will be waay lower than your setting. In your car this will come down to 3-4 deg C with your display showing 18!! In a domestic AC this can hover around 10-11. Hence please don't read ANYTHING into the digital readout on the LCD - either in your house or in the car! Just consider it a number or a notch on a dial if you will . With use you will find a setting that is most comfortable for you - Lower than it will mean cooler, and higher will mean warmer!

There are a number of reasons cooling can be bad in an AC.. Like low refrigerant, corroded/dirty coils, dirty/clogged filters, corroded/dirty/malfunctioning thermostat, incorrect positioning/installation, etc etc. Please get an authorised technician to check things and I am sure you can diagnose the problem. (Please get an independent guy if you feel the authorised service guy is not satisfactory ). Please also remember that ALL A/Cs need periodic maintenance/ checks and sometimes even gas top-ups to keep it running in top form.

To summarise - all things being equal - there is absolutely no way in hell an LG/Samsung can hold a candle to the likes of an OGeneral, Hitachi, Daikin etc.

Last edited by kb100 : 26th February 2009 at 20:59.
Old 26th February 2009, 20:54   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
To summarise - all things being equal - there is absolutely no way in hell an LG/Samsung can hold a candle to the likes of an OGeneral, Hitachi, Daikin etc.
Yes, indeed!
That is what I also believe.

General is too well established a brand with an impeccable track record!
Daikin, I'd swear by their ACs.
Hitachi is trying to become the new kid on the block! They've nearly done it!
Old 26th February 2009, 21:05   #263
BANNED

@KB, Im talking about the temp. one sets on the A.C., at which it cools. An AC that has lower setting is bound to cool more. I can't take any other precedent above the mentioned screen indicators, these are electronic/electric gadgets & built on research, knowledge.
My AC is new & cooling/lack of it was apparent since day one. Rather I noticed this fact on demonstration itself, but parents were hell bent on buying due to the facts many on the forum are too.
Even I never believed in L.G/Samsung products earlier on & their Korean tag never helped, but after trying/comparing to other makes, Im satisfied with their products now. O-Gen. costs considerably more than others & the jump in quality isn't parallel.

@Anup, yes, fan speed helps penetration in a large room, but when one needs instant cooling, its not of much use. Reduction in speed helps, but "just" as minimum temp. is set at 18.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:16   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@KB, Im talking about the temp. one sets on the A.C., at which it cools. An AC that has lower setting is bound to cool more. I can't take any other precedent above the mentioned screen indicators, these are electronic/electric gadgets & built on research, knowledge.
I'm afraid you need to read up on this.
Set temp tells you NOTHING! It is just a guide.
The only way you can figure what is going on is by checking the 'on-time' of the compressor and measuring the temp in the room by an independent and CORRECTLY located thermometer.

And anyway, it is not for 'more' cooling that you pay more for General or Hitachi! It is for superior quality of materials used, which will easily outlast the cheap competition.
Remember my earlier remark about the same?
Old 26th February 2009, 21:32   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@KB, Im talking about the temp. one sets on the A.C., at which it cools. An AC that has lower setting is bound to cool more.
This is incorrect.

A digital display can be made to read /display anything. It does not have to have anything to do with cooling. Cooling ability has to do with the compressor, its capacity (measured in BTUs- British Thermal Units), design of the coils and quality of materials used, why even the quality of the thermostat used!

Quote:
I can't take any other precedent above the mentioned screen indicators, these are electronic/electric gadgets & built on research, knowledge.
Bhp1 - I have only stated facts. Please do some research yourself. You can easily find out the display temperature is only indicative. You can, for instance make your LG's not cool at all despite the 'display' showing 16 - all you need to do is to change the proximity of the thermostat a little. ( The thermostat is NOT a digital thermostat. And its adjusted manually in most cases! Dust - or a dead fly can render this totally ineffective!)

Quote:
My AC is new & cooling/lack of it was apparent since day one. Rather I noticed this fact on demonstration itself, but parents were hell bent on buying due to the facts many on the forum are too.

Then maybe you got sold a defective piece. Entirely possible and easily rectified. Did you ever raise a complaint - if you haven't, please do so - and ask them to demonstrate the grill temperature to you ( you will find that they'll measure both at the outlet and at the inlet - where the thermostat is situated - as well as measuring the room temperature itself to see how and when the compressor is cutting off etc). And in case they still claim its functioning normally, then please post those figures here on the forum.

Quote:

@Anup, yes, fan speed helps penetration in a large room, but when one needs instant cooling, its not of much use. Reduction in speed helps, but "just" as minimum temp. is set at 18.
This is the ability of the AC to move air - and this is CRITICAL to RATE of cooling. This is measured in CFM - Abbreviation for Cubic Foot per Minute - a standard measurement for airflow. A typical system requires 400CFM per ton of air conditioning.

May I recommend that you read up on Air Conditioning. It will improve your understanding on how they make these things work, and help you understand what can go wrong too!

Last edited by kb100 : 26th February 2009 at 21:37.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:35   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Planning on buying a AC for my apt bedroom. Not able to decide between O-General and Hitachi. My parents have an o-general in their house for the last 15 yrs and touch wood no issues, hence am inclined towards the same. But have heard horror stories about their customer service. Also the dealers are saying that apart from the 5 yr compressor warranty, there is absolutely no other warranty. I dont have any experience with Hitachi but heard that they are also pretty good. Dealer says that Hitachi has one year warranty on everything.
Dont know what to do. Heart says O-G but mind says Hitachi.

Any pointer would be really appreciated.
Folks any advice for me?.
I need to finalize by this coming Sunday between either O-G or Hitachi. I dont want to buy any other brand. Price difference betwen both is approx 1K and I am fine with price both ways. Just not able to decide on which one.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:35   #267
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys about minimum temp setting. It does not matter in most ACs whether its 1 degree 2 degree or 20 degrees.
Most ACs below 30K just have on and off setting of compressor.
So when you set it to 20 degrees, the compressor keeps on till the room temp goes down to 20 degrees.
So on a very hot summer day in a not very well insulated room, AC would always be on.

So lets say you bought a 16 degree min temp ac, it does not mean your room will cool faster. All it means is that AC compressor won't cut off unless room temp reaches 16 degree.

So unless you want to create winter in the room, it does not matter whether its 16 or 20.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:45   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Folks any advice for me?.
I need to finalize by this coming Sunday between either O-G or Hitachi. I dont want to buy any other brand. Price difference betwen both is approx 1K and I am fine with price both ways. Just not able to decide on which one.
Hitachi looks better on paper (some specs) Secondly they get made in India - support, availability of parts etc is likely to be better.

Go ahead and put your money down - you cannot go wrong with either of them - but if you want my choice - HITACHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

So lets say you bought a 16 degree min temp ac, it does not mean your room will cool faster. All it means is that AC compressor won't cut off unless room temp reaches 16 degree.

TSK -

I have seen this vary wildly. The cut out does NOT use an actual MEASURE of the temperature of the room. It measures the temperature of the return air. And I have seen them adjust this by changing the proximity/position of the thermostat.

Last edited by kb100 : 26th February 2009 at 21:55.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:50   #269
Senior - BHPian

Double post.. please delete

Last edited by kb100 : 26th February 2009 at 21:56.
Old 26th February 2009, 22:42   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
It measures the temperature of the return air. And I have seen them adjust this by changing the proximity/position of the thermostat.
This thermostat is always placed at the front air filter. It can be very easily 'doctored' by shifting it under or over the filter, by wrapping a small piece of paper or foil around it, by wrapping it in a thick cloth (effectively de-commissioning it! LOL) etc...

Most Viewed