Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 19:51   #2686
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I bought the Hitachi 5* window unit last year. It much better than the older Quadricool unit. The cooling is nearly same, but power consumptions is much lower. Get the higher efficiency unit.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:12   #2687
Senior - BHPian

The thermostat will be located close to the electronic control module. Look for slots around that area the unit will be behind the slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
Thanks. Tried to locate the thermostat as pointed by you, but not able to pinpoint it with 100% certainity. I guess I'll have to call Voltas guys only.

This is still no where close to its perfomance of last year. Hope there is no gas leakage etc :-(.
There is icing on the evaporator coils, could be due to the choked coils/fins or gas leakage or both. Get the technician to check the gas back pressure, any depletion from the recommended range will confirm a leak. There is an outside chance that the sluggish performance and icing could be due to a bad expansion valve. In a year old unit it is highly unlikely but then since it is a Voltas it could be just that.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:48   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I bought the Hitachi 5* window unit last year.
Can you please provide the Model number of the same.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th June 2012, 19:31   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do check what make is the builder providing. A cousin bought a high end apartment in DLF Golf club and was dismayed to find that all of the pre-fitted appliances were of poor quality including the air cons which were from LG and outdated models at that.
I may be in the same boat. I have also bought a Golf apartment in JP Wish Town Noida. But I have decided if builder decides to fit any sub-standard brand, I will ask them to install a premium brand in my flat and I will pay the difference. BTW DLF is known to fleece the customers.
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:17   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

Can someone suggest good Voltage Stabilizer for 1.5 Ton Window AC. To be 120V to 290V operational range.

Few models shortlisted are V-Gurad VEW 400, LOGICSTAT 4KV 5 Step and BlueBird 4KV 5 Step

Regards

Vinu
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:05   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshunlimited View Post
...just got myself the following ACs:

1.8T Daikin Inverter - FTKD60 for 42.5K
Where did u get such rates from? I am being quoted 47 k for 1.8T inverter.
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:56   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Hello Guys,

Can someone suggest good Voltage Stabilizer for 1.5 Ton Window AC. To be 120V to 290V operational range.

Few models shortlisted are V-Gurad VEW 400, LOGICSTAT 4KV 5 Step and BlueBird 4KV 5 Step

Regards

Vinu
Do check with a few local AC dealers, then only decide, I needed one stabilizer last week, but inquiring it with a expert who makes and repairs them for last 15+ years, said v-guard ones are not very responsive with low voltage.

and to save myself from such headaches I got my existing one repaired, it used to trip and go on standby forever, He replaced the autocut circuit and its working flawlessly since then. Costed me only Rs.200/-
it was a stabilizer made locally with good transformer 5 years back.

Another thing worth noting is the transformer used, the heavy copper ones are hard to find however they are the beast, my old stabilizer weighs 8 kgs or more and operates fine with 180 volts too.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:50   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Regards

Vinu
Dont go for VEW400 if your line voltage below 160V.
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:38   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Any reason? The model is said to be operational in 100V to 290V. I was looking for good after sale support too. V-Guard is providing 3 years on-site warranty.

I f not V-Guard, then which brand to go for?

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:16   #2695
Senior - BHPian

If the supply voltage in your area (can't be Dilli or is it) is so low then you might be better of getting a servo stabilizer for your entire house. All of your appliances will benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Quote:
Any reason? The model is said to be operational in 100V to 290V. I was looking for good after sale support too. V-Guard is providing 3 years on-site warranty.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:24   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the supply voltage in your area (can't be Dilli or is it)...
Dilli only, South Delhi. We do have a good voltage, say more than 190 (190-215) almost throughout the day. But between 8pm and 3am there is gradual drop in voltage to 130 range once in 15 to 20 minutes and this last for a minute or two.
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:07   #2697
Senior - BHPian

This is news to me. I stay in South Dilli too but have never noticed this and for the past month I have been awake untill almost 5 am. If this were happening the coils in my stabilizer would go haywire with their clackity clack racket. More than that the CFLs would have gone for a toss as also the fridge which is plugged directly in to the socket. In fact the supply is so stable in our area (Alaknanda) that I have been running three acs without stabilizers in addition to the fridge and have been contemplating removing the stabilizers from the other 2 machines as & when they are replaced later this year. I think this must be a local area problem. Fello member Aroystays in the same general area as myself, wonder if he is facing any issues?? Whereabouts are you in SDilli myavu.

Quote:
Dilli only, South Delhi. We do have a good voltage, say more than 190 (190-215) almost throughout the day. But between 8pm and 3am there is gradual drop in voltage to 130 range once in 15 to 20 minutes and this last for a minute or two.
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:53   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is news to me. I stay in South Dilli too but have never noticed this and for the past month I have been awake untill almost 5 am.
Voltage fluctuations in Delhi are now things of past, same goes for power cuts also.

Our 9 year old Godrej Pentacool is running without stabilizer from day one and there is no problem till date (Touch wood).

This is North Delhi (Rohini) and I expect conditions to be even better in South Delhi.

EDIT - However this is not the case with Gurgaon!

Last edited by bluevolt : 23rd June 2012 at 17:00.
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:33   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this must be a local area problem. Whereabouts are you in SDilli myavu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Voltage fluctuations in Delhi are now things of past, same goes for power cuts also.
Yes it is a local area problem (Khanpur). But everyone in the colony and nearby colony is facing this issue. I think it is down to infrastructure. Earlier I was staying at Lajpat Nagar (for 5 years) and never faced a voltage problem.
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:27   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Get the technician to check the gas back pressure, any depletion from the recommended range will confirm a leak. There is an outside chance that the sluggish performance and icing could be due to a bad expansion valve. In a year old unit it is highly unlikely but then since it is a Voltas it could be just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes it will be better to call the technician.

The poor cooling can also be result of clogged condenser/Evaporator, ask the technician to clean it with high/low pressure water respectively.
1. Thanks for your suggestions. Logged a complaint yesterday with Voltas and technician visited today. He checked fins, themrostat, gas pressure and some multimeter readings on cable running from stabaliser to AC. As per him all parameters are normal. As to why AC is taking long to achieve desired temp he gave explaination that since now a days weather is extremely hot, thats why ac is taking time to achieve the desired temp. Not convincing.

Net result, AC condition remains the same and I am poorer by Rs 450 (technician visit charges).

Another pain area, the LCD display on remote is not backlit so it is very difficult to operate in night (don't remember if this was same behaviour last year as well). While customer care informed me that technician will fix this, the techinican told that in this model remote LCD panel is not backlit. Again doubtful as I have specifically seen various Voltas remotes having backlit LCD panels on remotes.

2. Some pages back I posted that I have lost user manual of AC and I am not able get a copy of same from anywhere including Voltas customer care and internet. I had lost all hope of finding one, then one day on backside of remote I saw "Remote Controller Type: YB1FA" written. It immidiately clicked to me that since indoor unit and remote are made in china this must be some generic type of remote. Googled for "YB1FA user manual" and got tons of results. Downloaded one pdf of Sanyo AC and it had ditto remote control unit. My problem solved. Thought of sharing this for benefit to fellow memebers.

Last edited by kamboj : 23rd June 2012 at 22:28.

Most Viewed