Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 13:15   #2746
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I bought
Napolean A/C's are the very best for Indian summers and comparable to Hitachi and General Window AC's. I have 6 doing service for me. Though even General has now shifted from Reciprocating to Rotary compressor in order to become more power efficient and has lost some of it's cooling edge. But they will consume approx. 15~25% more electricity when compared to best of the line Hitachi room ACs. So I will be slowly converting all my Napolean's to 5 star Hitachi's.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:48   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
One of the factors as to why Panasonic has not taken over the market is 'cause there are a whole lot of customers who are oblivious of the fact that Panasonic sells all over the World on the strength of its R&D, product quality and the adaptability of designs to the needs of local market(cube being an example) amongst other factors.
Thanks for the input. Panasonic AC pricing is indeed very attractive. Will appreciate some more inputs from you:
  1. How would you rate the quality - from long-term reliability perspective - of Panasonic Split ACs vis-a-vis that of say, Voltas, LG and Daikin?
  2. In corrosive Noida climate, the ACs are prone to gas leakage rather frequently. Which brand(s) would you recommend that can handle such harsh climatic conditions and provide hassle-free service for a long period? In other words, whom would you rate as Toyota of the AC world?!
Quote:
...just flip a coin to pick between Voltas or Blue star. It will also be a positive for the Chinese economy...
Both are manufactured in China?!
Old 30th July 2012, 16:21   #2748
Senior - BHPian

If you were to run through the thread (the pages referring to the current & previous season) you will find very specific answer to your first question as also to your second one w.r.t. other member's experiences regarding the fumes from the infamous drain in Noida that has gobbled up many an a/c. In such adverse conditions even a Toyota would find hard to cope. You may want to give Whirlpool a shot.

Yes they are. IDUs are imported completely built and ODUs have majority of their components sourced from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Thanks for the input. Panasonic AC pricing is indeed very attractive. Will appreciate some more inputs from you:

Both are manufactured in China?!
Old 31st July 2012, 16:49   #2749
BHPian

I am looking for a split ac in the 1 ton category kindly suggest which one to buy from hitachi, panasonic, sharp and voltas or others . Earlier used to have general 1 ton window ac which is still running fine but has become noisy. Using this one from last 14 years without any problems.
Old 31st July 2012, 21:40   #2750
Senior - BHPian

If you have been happy with General then why not get the same. The 1 ton unit is a sleek little machine and a good performer too. If you want to go with the inverter technology go with Daikin. At a different price point you could look at Whirlpool or certain models of Panasonic. Infact, at the moment the Daikin split machines with the R22 gas (inverter or otherwise) are priced very competitively and would be a good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
I am looking for a split ac in the 1 ton category kindly suggest which one to buy from hitachi, panasonic, sharp and voltas or others . Earlier used to have general 1 ton window ac which is still running fine but has become noisy. Using this one from last 14 years without any problems.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:20   #2751
BHPian

Guys we're moving into a new house - in the process of selecting acs for the place. Our requirements would be for the following acs given the sizes of the rooms -
1) 5 * 2T
2) 1 * 2.5T
3) 1 * 1.5 T

Now we are confused between Inverter acs and 5 Star Non Inverter acs. Sharp currently has a good deal on Inverter acs and they have recommended going for the following -
1) 5 * 2T - go for 1.5T Inverter
2) 1 * 2.5T - go for 2T Inverter
3) 1 * 1.5 T - go for 1.1T Inverter

Now I have 3 concerns primarily before touching on the cost aspect -
1) I am aware that if going for Inverter acs one could opt for a slightly lower tonnage inverter spec vs regular ac. But what I understand of inverter technology is that savings happen when the compressor is not running at full throttle. So going in for lower tonnage - will it not result in higher time before the inverter tech kicks in?
2) how do the inverter acs compare to 5 star acs in running costs?
3) how good/reliable is the sharp brand - specifically to acs in India?

Cost wise the sharp inverter acs are cheaper than the pany ones. Have not looked at carrier inverter options - also daikin might be kinda expensive. Sharp guys are quoting 46k for 1.5T, 36k for 1.1T and 62k for 2T inverter options. All these include free installation, stabilizers and 4ft of piping.

Any inputs would help as we are to freeze on the decision in the next day or so. Cheers

Last edited by gunner fan : 13th August 2012 at 10:23.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:26   #2752
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner fan View Post
Now we are confused between Inverter acs and 5 Star Non Inverter acs. Sharp currently has a good deal on Inverter acs and they have recommended going for the following -
I will not go for a size other than 1, 1.5 and 2T. The middle one is the most popular - commodity item. Anything else you will pay a premium and may have spares issues later. I may even suggest to go for the 1.5T in place of the 1T. Cost difference is minimal.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th August 2012 at 10:28.
Old 14th August 2012, 01:00   #2753
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner fan View Post
Guys we're moving into a new house - in the process of selecting acs for the place. Our requirements would be for the following acs given the sizes of the rooms -
1) 5 * 2T
2) 1 * 2.5T
3) 1 * 1.5 T

Now I have 3 concerns primarily before touching on the cost aspect -
1) I am aware that if going for Inverter acs one could opt for a slightly lower tonnage inverter spec vs regular ac. But what I understand of inverter technology is that savings happen when the compressor is not running at full throttle. So going in for lower tonnage - will it not result in higher time before the inverter tech kicks in?
2) how do the inverter acs compare to 5 star acs in running costs?
3) how good/reliable is the sharp brand - specifically to acs in India?

Cost wise the sharp inverter acs are cheaper than the pany ones. Have not looked at carrier inverter options - also daikin might be kinda expensive. Sharp guys are quoting 46k for 1.5T, 36k for 1.1T and 62k for 2T inverter options. All these include free installation, stabilizers and 4ft of piping.

Any inputs would help as we are to freeze on the decision in the next day or so. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will not go for a size other than 1, 1.5 and 2T. The middle one is the most popular - commodity item. Anything else you will pay a premium and may have spares issues later. I may even suggest to go for the 1.5T in place of the 1T. Cost difference is minimal.

Don't buy 1* ACs. Minimum star should be 3*, 4* is also OK and 5* will consume less power and cost of power is high and will be higher in year to come. The BEST option is to buy INVERTER AC but cost is very high - at least Rs.10,000/- more in comparision to 5* AC for 1/2 Ton capacity.

Yes, Sharp guys and sgiitk correctly recomended for comparatively lower power AC especially in case Inverter type is opted. This inverter AC has a variable colling capacity without being stopped for minutes - it stops never and continues to run for better comfort with variable flow to maintain the temperature level fixed by user. IT consumes power according to requirement which ranges from nearly 300W to 1200W in 1 Ton giving effect of capacity upto 1.3/13 Ton. Hence, 1.0 Ton inverter AC can act also as 1.5T AC. Tonnage should be perfectly matched with area and environmental factors of the room. Very high power AC is not recomendable since higher the power of AC is frequent OFF/On resulting discomfort during off-times.

This year I have purchased and installed one 1.0T LG Inverter AC and also 1.0T Panasonic (Econavi Chrome AC) at the price of Rs.35,250/- and Rs.38,500/- (MRP around 43K, normal price in shop is around 40K). Panasonic AC comes with 12' pipe set in the pack whereas LG AC lacked the same and therefore I had to bear the cost of pipe bought seperately during intallation. Both the ACs are very good. LG's remote is attractive and more responsive whereas Panasonic AC's noise level is functionally very good.

I think, Econavi Chrome is unparalled in performance and everyone will appreciate its quality and to see the machine visually - especially the outdoor unit. It's really a machine and I am fully satisfied with its performance.

I have ascertained average consumption of electricity 500W per hour for this type of 1T AC in 150sqft room. After using inverter AC (any brand) and being seasoned thus for contiunued better comport (always on at high or low as per requirement) no one will opt for OFF/ON type AC which flactuate temperature a lot resulting in discomfort.

If my post comes to your need a little, I would be happy.
Old 14th August 2012, 02:42   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Thanks SG couldn't agree more.
Slight change of heart following the visit from the Sharp Installation team today. We're now looking at either the 1.5T or 2T models as requirement and have the following thought process

1. 2x2T for 2 diff rooms roughly 17'x18' each. Both are bedrooms so expect 8-10 hrs usage everyday for about 8-9 months/yr
Choices - 2T 5 star or 2T Split. Unfortunately there are not too many relatively economical 2T 5star options in the market. Found none in Hitachi/LG/Haier - max on offer were 3 star models. Panasonic does have 4 star options but they cost about 47k.
Conclusion - looking to go with Sharp 2T Inverter option. Will roughly cost 59-60k (incld 4m pipes, stabilizer, outdoor stand and installation) or about 54-55k for the bare ac. A premium of 8-10k over the pany 4 star model seems economically viable given the huge power outages in Gurgaon and dependency on the genset

2. 4x1.5T for 3 diff rooms with one getting two of them. 2 are bedrooms while the 3rd is the drawing/dining.
Choices - Pany 5 star (37sh), Daikin 5 star (41sh), Hitachi (39sh) and Haier (purely included for a rock bottom price of 30k). None of them include installation, stabilizer, stand etc
Conclusion - Again tending to the Sharp Inverter option. The 1.5T option is being quoted for around 46k (incld 4m pipes, stabilizer, outdoor stand and installation), so price is close to the above listed options. Again the TCO angle took over to swing us to Sharp.

Having read views shared by Lord Lucan and VijayCool around Sharp has helped me/us reaffirm the initial interest in Sharp - thank you guys. Should be closing the deal on the 16th. Hope this s useful to some of you who are in similar boats. Pls do share any concerns/reassurances that we ought to know before taking the plunge. Also is the price broadly ok or should we hard negotiate further (some will anyway be done)?
Cheers
Old 14th August 2012, 09:44   #2755
BANNED

ACs are like Cars. Normal AC intermittently starts to cool and goes off when a particular temperature is attained thereby flactuating of temperature a lot. On the contrary, Inverter AC perform its duty continuously (until switched off by user) but variably (with variable refrigerant flow, fan speed, etc by means of regulation of voltage of DC current inverted for use from AC line by inbuilt inverter) to maintain nearly a linear temperature. Inveter AC thinks in advance. Some variants look also to search presence and position of persons/animals.

Normal AC and Inverter AC are comparable respectively with a car that runs in its same/full speed and stops at red signals without bothering about it and a car that runs continuously but with variable speed - high or low suitably to avoid red signals thereby saving fuel also.

The following images may represent the matter better.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac-stop0.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac-stop1.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac-stop2.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac-stop3.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac-stop4.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-inv-0.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-inv-1.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-inv-3.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-inv-4.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-inv-5.jpg

We know - no, signal, no stop, no acceleration, no brake mean always better FE in the field of cars. Same is also with ACs.
Old 20th September 2012, 17:34   #2756
BHPian

I always thought Hitachi was a safe bet. But after reading some comments/reviews on TeamBhp and also on other sites I'm not so sure anymore!

Here's the deal, I need to buy a 1ton window ac. I'm not open to the idea of a split ac at all, so thats completely out the equation.

Hitachi & now LG have 5star rated window acs. Personally I've had bad luck with LG in the past, so was leaning towards the Hitachi, but after reading quite a few negative comments on Mouthshut about the AC not being installed for days, and then not working at all have confused me quite a bit.

What do you guys think I should get? The Hitachi or the LG?

EDIT: It's a tad bit urgent, I'm under serious threat from melting in the Mumbai heat!

Last edited by TheSandman : 20th September 2012 at 17:35. Reason: Adding in more info:
Old 20th September 2012, 18:39   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000_RANVIS View Post
ACs are like Cars. Normal AC intermittently starts to cool and goes off when a particular temperature is attained thereby flactuating of temperature a lot. On the contrary, Inverter AC perform its duty continuously (until switched off by user) but variably (with variable refrigerant flow, fan speed, etc by means of regulation of voltage of DC current inverted for use from AC line by inbuilt inverter) to maintain nearly a linear temperature. Inveter AC thinks in advance. Some variants look also to search presence and position of persons/animals.

Normal AC and Inverter AC are comparable respectively with a car that runs in its same/full speed and stops at red signals without bothering about it and a car that runs continuously but with variable speed - high or low suitably to avoid red signals thereby saving fuel also.
First of all I don't know why the Marketing people love to introduce new terms - but "inverter technology" is nothing but a Variable frequency drive (VFD).
VFD has been there for decades in electrical motor / drive industry.

VFD varies the frequency so that speed of the motor varies, and thus the duty of the compressor.

This allows a finer control over the temperature than a discrete on/off technology. So you feel more comfortable since the temperature maintained is very close to your desired set point. (unlike conventional, where you start feeling hot, and then compressor kicks in works till your bones freeze, and then again switches off)

This variable drive also reduces the wear and tear on the compressors - because of less start/stop.

Does this reduce the electricity consumption? Not really. The heat load remains the same - so the electricity consumed remains the same.

Does this make a 1.1 Ton capacity VFD equivalent to 1.5 Ton conventional (as the marketing ppl would like you to believe). NO WAY.

Last edited by alpha1 : 20th September 2012 at 18:42.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:50   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman
I always thought Hitachi was a safe bet. But after reading some comments/reviews on TeamBhp and also on other sites I'm not so sure anymore!
=======
EDIT: It's a tad bit urgent, I'm under serious threat from melting in the Mumbai heat!
Hi Sandman,
Hitachi AC is an expensive option when compared to other brands such as LG,Samsung, Onida. I bought the Hitachi AC 1.5T in the year 2000 and it worked well for at least 5 years and then had a major repair with the compressor. Got it repaired and till today find it working great with no problems faced so far. Those days I paid Rs25000 for a window 1.5T which was expensive for a window AC.
These days there is a wide range of AC available in the market and prices are so competitive that all manufacturers are compromising on quality of the product. In the last 5 years I have bought Onida ACs and they are work very efficiently and their pricing is also quite reasonable.
After all no AC is set to work perfect after 5 years hence it makes sense spending less on purchasing a brand new AC and running it for a period of 5 years as all problems crop up once the compressor warranty ends after 5 years :
Old 21st September 2012, 01:23   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Get a Whirlpool window unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Here's the deal, I need to buy a 1ton window ac. I'm not open to the idea of a split ac at all, so thats completely out the equation.
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:34   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post

What do you guys think I should get? The Hitachi or the LG?

I just bought a couple of Hitachi Summer QC 1.1tr and one 1.5tr both 5 star units a couple of days ago. I have been using a Kaze 1.5tr as well for the last 4 months. Service and installation quality has been stellar and they arrived on dot. They infact came for the first free service without me having to call them up. They confirmed a couple of days earlier as to whether I would be free at that time and they turned up right on time. The A/C has also been performing very well. Overall very impressed with Hitachi.

Cheers,
K

EDIT: The Kaze unit is also a 2 star window.

Last edited by kaush666 : 22nd September 2012 at 21:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks