Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 11:29   #3616
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Currently inverter air conditioners being sold here show 46 degree Celsius as the upper operating limit. Sharp's 2013 models claimed 48 degreeC & Hitachi claims 50 degreeC for some models but I am sure that somewhere in the fine print it will say "non inverter" model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
great. then my follow on question is if this Sharp inverter 1.5T (AH-X18PET ) will work beyond 48 C ? I guess if answer is yes, i will go ahead to try to find best deal
Old 12th June 2014, 15:36   #3617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Currently inverter air conditioners being sold here show 46 degree Celsius as the upper operating limit.
You are absolutely right, even my Daikin FTKP says the same. But what exactly is the consequence if I put my ODU, say on a roof top, and the outside temp is 47 or 48 degrees?
Old 12th June 2014, 16:30   #3618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
1 ton is more than sufficient.

On your General air conditioner, something is very wrong with the thermostat, or the information on the digital display and you might want to get it checked. It can't cool much at a setting of 30 degrees.
oh no, it is just couple of months old...anyway thanks for this input.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:35   #3619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
But what exactly is the consequence if I put my ODU, say on a roof top, and the outside temp is 47 or 48 degrees?
The temperature-sensor in the ODU will enable the protection-circuit, so the compressor will not switch -on.
Old 13th June 2014, 13:56   #3620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The temperature-sensor in the ODU will enable the protection-circuit, so the compressor will not switch -on.
I wonder if that is how they work!
The temperature sensor should be sensing the gas/liquid temperature, not 'body' temperature of the casing!
Old 13th June 2014, 18:37   #3621
BHPian

So finally I bought Sharp AH-X18PET (1.5T). Awaiting installation now. Thanks everyone here to help me decide to go for an inverter. Is there a thanks button in this forum ?
Old 13th June 2014, 19:56   #3622
BHPian

Was in Noida last week and had not-so-good experience with Haier 1.5 tonne window A/C(s). There were power cuts excess of 12 hours but when the current was back compressor takes 5-6 minutes to switch on. Room temperature was close to 40 degrees (as displayed on small LCD) which gets reduced to 28 degress in 2-2.5 hours. We expected room temp reduced to atleast 24-25. This happened with all 3 Haier A/C(s) in the house.

Not sure whether all window a/c(s) are like this. We have Voltas 1.1 tonne and LG 1.6 tonne in 2 rooms since 5 years. Both are very effective even if outside temperature is close to 45 degrees.
Old 13th June 2014, 20:04   #3623
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a thanks button in this forum ?
No "Thanks" button for the threads in the "Shifting Gears" section (like this one for home/office AC). Other sections related to automotive/travel related will have it.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 20:32   #3624
BHPian

Quote:
So finally I bought Sharp AH-X18PET (1.5T). ?
Can you please tell how much did it cost you? Was installation kit included or has to purchase separate. Is installation by company or dealer?\
In our area near Mumbai inverter, model number I do not recollect, for one ton price was quoted 41k last 39k. Installation piping separate 250 rupees per foot plus additional installation charges 1500. I am inclined towards PHT model instead of PET.
Old 14th June 2014, 10:32   #3625
BANNED

Quote:
So finally I bought Sharp AH-X18PET (1.5T).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Can you please tell how much did it cost you? Was installation kit included or has to purchase separate. Is installation by company or dealer?
Sharp is a very good brand, and they are in the same league as Daikin and General. However, being new to the Indian market they are pricing it aggressively. Also, in many cases installation incl kit is included. Will save at least R.3500!
Old 14th June 2014, 13:29   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I wonder if that is how they work!
The temperature sensor should be sensing the gas/liquid temperature, not 'body' temperature of the casing!
In the Daikin manual (Inverter model) it says that even if the machine is switched off completely (but power is kept on via stabilizer/MCB) then the ODU fan may automatically start running to prevent damage due to extreme heat. (It recommends to switch off the circuit completely if unused thus saving on power bills).

It means that there is a sensor to continuously measure the outside temperature.

Anyway when the machine is operating, and if the outside temperature gets extreme, then the 'gas/liquid' temperature will also rise thus tripping the compressor eventually?

I think the high end Inverter machines have a lot of sensors with good electronics/algorithms, so that power can be saved by varying the speeds of various motors, fans and the compressor based on the indoor/outdoor environment.

Last edited by manim : 14th June 2014 at 13:30.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:50   #3627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
In the Daikin manual (Inverter model) it says that even if the machine is switched off completely (but power is kept on via stabilizer/MCB) then the ODU fan may automatically start running to prevent damage due to extreme heat. (It recommends to switch off the circuit completely if unused thus saving on power bills).

It means that there is a sensor to continuously measure the outside temperature.
Not 'outside' temperature per se, but possibly the inverter circuit board temperature.
And yes, if ambient goes up, everything else will! But ambient is not the one that will ever be monitored for control purposes; rather it will be the temperature of critical components that will trigger the ODU fan or cut off the unit.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:55   #3628
BANNED

Inverter models replace the old Scroll Type or Variable capacity compressors. Moree reliable, with a higher effective 'ratio'.
Old 14th June 2014, 14:17   #3629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Inverter models replace the old Scroll Type or Variable capacity compressors. Moree reliable, with a higher effective 'ratio'.

Buy inverter based equipment only if u hv high & continuous usage, eg ACs for offices. Not for homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 14th June 2014, 14:39   #3630
BHPian

Suggest an AC for my Flat to be rented out

Looking to buy 5 split ACs for an under construction flat on the top floor (of 8 floors), facing North & NE.

It is a 4BHK with room sizes:

Room 1. 12' X 12'
Room 2. 12' X 10'
Room 3. 12' X 9'
Room 4. 10' X 9'
Living Room with open Kitchen 16' X 12'

The height of the flat is 10'.

I have decided for 2T for the living room and 1.5T for all the bedrooms. Is it okay? not under/over sized?

The big dilemma is whether to go for top notch inverter AC or maybe even 3 star regular.

The most likely occupants shall be Japanese, the broker suggested that Japanese are very loyal towards their own brands/make so I should refrain from putting LG/Samsung/General so I am inching towards Sharp Inverters.

I understand that a star rated AC would be roughly 35k and an inverter would be approx. 45k with installation (for 1.5T). Is it a good idea to invest in expensive inverters or should i go with 3 or 5 stars regular Jap brands considering the flat is meant to be letted out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks