Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2014, 15:19   #3631
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I think the window a/cs are working well. Pulling the temperature down by 12 degrees Celsius in two & a half hours is not bad at all.

I am intrigued by the capacities of the Voltas & LG machines @ 1.1 & 1.6 tons very unusual but as long as they work well that is what matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Was in Noida last week and had not-so-good experience with Haier 1.5 tonne window A/C(s). There were power cuts excess of 12 hours but when the current was back compressor takes 5-6 minutes to switch on. Room temperature was close to 40 degrees (as displayed on small LCD) which gets reduced to 28 degress in 2-2.5 hours. We expected room temp reduced to atleast 24-25. This happened with all 3 Haier A/C(s) in the house.

Not sure whether all window a/c(s) are like this. We have Voltas 1.1 tonne and LG 1.6 tonne in 2 rooms since 5 years. Both are very effective even if outside temperature is close to 45 degrees.

Seriously? Come spend a summer in Dilli or for that matter anywhere in the Northern plains and then let us know whether homes are as suitable environment for continuous/inverter air-conditioner usage or not.

Weather in Bombay/coastal areas is very different from up here and such generalisation is not valid across different geographic terrains.

BTW, one need not have continuous usage to justify an inverter. There are users who run their machines only at night and have seen reduced power bills. Sure their ROI rate will be lower than those using the machines longer but the end result is net saving and more importantly better control of their room's micro environment thereby increasing comfort the basic reason for getting an air conditoner installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Buy inverter based equipment only if u hv high & continuous usage, eg ACs for offices. Not for homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 14th June 2014, 15:40   #3632
BANNED

ully@gsurya; I agree but not fully. What I say is that an Inverter has an advantage only if you need to hold the temperature (after the initial cool down) for a good length of time. For example, in my bedroom the AC is running for 8-10 hours on the trot (power cuts allowing) and hence an inverter does help.
Old 14th June 2014, 16:24   #3633
BHPian

Got my Daikins serviced today. One outdoor unit which had less cooling was very dirty, not been water washed for 18 months. He poured about 3 buckets of water into it and the dirt was bad. Gas showed 45psi, he topped it to 65 and charged me 700 for that and 600 for service. Was not happy with his indoor unit cleaning. I didn't permit blower as the dust would spread to curtains, bed, wall, electronics. His rigor on IDU was less due to this. The ac is now cooling well. Had shifted home with this Daikin 2 years back, maybe reason for lower gas?
Old 14th June 2014, 16:35   #3634
BANNED

I relocated about 8 months ago had my ac refitted at new place.

how often should we get a split heat and cool inverter ac serviced and what should be the average cost for same ?

cheers.
Old 14th June 2014, 17:06   #3635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
ully@gsurya; I agree but not fully. What I say is that an Inverter has an advantage only if you need to hold the temperature (after the initial cool down) for a good length of time. For example, in my bedroom the AC is running for 8-10 hours on the trot (power cuts allowing) and hence an inverter does help.
Yes an inverter helps for an AC if the running is more than 4-5 hours in a day, in my case we just set the timer to an hour or two and leave the fan on so we dont see a need for it.
Old 14th June 2014, 17:48   #3636
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Had shifted home with this Daikin 2 years back, maybe reason for lower gas?
If you have joints in the pipe then gas may be leaking. If there are any joints you need to get them welded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
how often should we get a split heat and cool inverter ac serviced and what should be the average cost for same ?
Depends upon running, If you use it daily, I recommend every 3 months, If you use it occasionally then 4-6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Yes an inverter helps for an AC if the running is more than 4-5 hours in a day, in my case we just set the timer to an hour or two and leave the fan on so we dont see a need for it.

I am the creature who can't live without a/c because have spent past 18 years in a/c. I think inverter is the next thing. I am very eager to buy inverter a/c (think no on/off continues cool air at set temperature) and I wish it was available in window unit. There is not enough ceiling height left in our bedroom for split air conditioner and hence we have to settle for windows a/c. (damn builder only 9 ft height). I also like sound of window a/c it cancels all outside sounds (dogs, birds etc. etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You are absolutely right, even my Daikin FTKP says the same. But what exactly is the consequence if I put my ODU, say on a roof top, and the outside temp is 47 or 48 degrees?
Put the wet jute sack on top of it, it will bring down outer unit temperature little bit and a/c will work even in 46c , this may also actual reduce little bit bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshunlimited View Post
Suggest an AC for my Flat to be rented out

Looking to buy 5 split ACs for an under construction flat on the top floor (of 8 floors), facing North & NE.

It is a 4BHK with room sizes:

Room 1. 12' X 12'
Room 2. 12' X 10'
Room 3. 12' X 9'
Room 4. 10' X 9'
Living Room with open Kitchen 16' X 12'

The height of the flat is 10'.

I have decided for 2T for the living room and 1.5T for all the bedrooms. Is it okay? not under/over sized?

The big dilemma is whether to go for top notch inverter AC or maybe even 3 star regular.

The most likely occupants shall be Japanese, the broker suggested that Japanese are very loyal towards their own brands/make so I should refrain from putting LG/Samsung/General so I am inching towards Sharp Inverters.

I understand that a star rated AC would be roughly 35k and an inverter would be approx. 45k with installation (for 1.5T). Is it a good idea to invest in expensive inverters or should i go with 3 or 5 stars regular Jap brands considering the flat is meant to be letted out?
I think you should install 1 ton inverters in your bed rooms and generally 1.5t inverter should be enough for your living room but you also have open kitchen which will also needs extra btu's hence you may consider 2 tons for effective cooling. If you are going for 3 star a/c's then go for 1.5T in bed rooms considering delhi temperatures reach 45c some times. Regarding comments by dealer about Jap's vs korean's (lg samsung), take it with pinch of salt and go with the money who provides you best service. Have heard good things about Daikin inverters in this forums and my brother have bluestar inverters and he is very happy with the performance. I have multiple LG air conditioners and they are working fine since last 8 years.

You are renting out your flat? why not install window a/c's they will cost you 1/2 the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
hey guys,

today suddenly water started coming out from the front right side of my split ac. what could be the reason ?

thanks
It is possible that your a/c gas pressure has reduced (consider gas leak) and hence water is not condensing properly. To check if the pressure is reduced or not, turn on the a/c and let it cool for 1 minutes, touch the coil, if its not super cool then you guessed it right, low gas pressure, call the professional and ask them to detect leak and fix it. Also check the drain pipe is not blocked which might be the reason behind water leakage.

Last edited by Max : 14th June 2014 at 18:16.
Old 14th June 2014, 18:36   #3637
BHPian

Thanks a lot 'Max' for your suggestions, then I ll go with the 1.5T in both big rooms, 1T in the other 2 smaller rooms and 2T in living room (all 3 stars, non inverters). I think this should do the job. Brand is what I ll probably figure out in sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

You are renting out your flat? why not install window a/c's they will cost you 1/2 the price!
because of aesthetics, we are renting it out fully furnished and are talking 6 figure rent/month.

However, I agree, nothing beats a window AC in terms of ease of maintaing it.
Old 15th June 2014, 00:06   #3638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I think the window a/cs are working well. Pulling the temperature down by 12 degrees Celsius in two & a half hours is not bad at all.

I am intrigued by the capacities of the Voltas & LG machines @ 1.1 & 1.6 tons very unusual but as long as they work well that is what matters.

Seriously? Come spend a summer in Dilli or for that matter anywhere in the Northern plains and then let us know whether homes are as suitable environment for continuous/inverter air-conditioner usage or not.

Weather in Bombay/coastal areas is very different from up here and such generalisation is not valid across different geographic terrains.
Beg to differ sir, Voltas and LG a/c(s) mentioned above are in Delhi only. I was earlier based out of Bangalore where we had one Kenstar Air cooler, sufficient to cool a 10 X 12 room with outside temperatures close to 25-26 degree

'Pulling the temperature down by 12 degrees Celsius in two & a half hours is not bad at all. '

I must say Voltas and LG perform better, at least for us. Both a/c(s) have this 'Turbo' mode which brings down temperature within 20 minutes maximum. We switch them off after two hours of continuous usage, then switch on only if required.

Last edited by OneToughRider : 15th June 2014 at 00:08. Reason: Correction
Old 15th June 2014, 00:35   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Err.... It is not clear as to what part is not being concurred upon. My response/comments to your post are limited to what I have posted above your quoted post. The part below is in response to the other post quoted right at the bottom. Anyhow no point in taking this further.

Quote:
Beg to differ sir, Voltas and LG a/c(s) mentioned above are in Delhi only. I was earlier based out of Bangalore where we had one Kenstar Air cooler, sufficient to cool a 10 X 12 room with outside temperatures close to 25-26 degree

'Pulling the temperature down by 12 degrees Celsius in two & a half hours is not bad at all. '

I must say Voltas and LG perform better, at least for us. Both a/c(s) have this 'Turbo' mode which brings down temperature within 20 minutes maximum. We switch them off after two hours of continuous usage, then switch on only if required.
Old 15th June 2014, 01:06   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Err.... It is not clear as to what part is not being concurred upon. My response/comments to your post are limited to what I have posted above your quoted post. The part below is in response to the other post quoted right at the bottom. Anyhow no point in taking this further.
seems we both got confused. I was replying to your comment - 'Window a/c bringing down 12 degrees in 2 - 2.5 hours is not bad', whereas my take was two oldies (Voltas and LG) at my residence brings down temperatures in 20 minutes max.
Old 15th June 2014, 10:48   #3641
BANNED

@OneToughRider; Voltas has had the most powerful blowers. Also, at least these recently they were power hogs!
Old 15th June 2014, 14:22   #3642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@OneToughRider; Voltas has had the most powerful blowers. ....
That is true indeed! And that is what Panasonic is emulating in its Cube series!
Old 16th June 2014, 09:48   #3643
BHPian

Hi Team,

This is an update regarding the gift to my wife and a fathers day gift to my Father.

Since my wife is employed in a Govt. bank in Chandigarh and lives in rented accommodation as PG,and I have to travel between Gurgaon and Chandigarh every week.This time in the first week of June, I was really not able to bear her pain in unbearable hot weather.I discussed with the owner and requested him for AC.He approved and told us to get that installed at our expenses.

I checked all through the Chandigarh Market and selected Videocon 1.5 Ton, 5 Star split AC with golden fins of the indoor unit without the Stabilizer.IT costed me INR 36500 nett with installation.And the facial expressions of my wife were really priceless.

I went to Singapore in May and before going I got all the 3 three AC serviced.But my mother was not knowing this and she was also sleeping without the AC till yesterday.I told her that the existing AC are all serviced and she can freely use it without even thinking twice.And mates, the look on her face, again priceless.

Yesterday, I went to meet my father in the morning and was shattered to see that he was living without any AC or cooler in this brutal summer in NCR and his under shirt was totally wet even at 8 am.Within 5 sec I decided to get another AC for my father and being Father's day, I was assured that this will be the priceless gift to my father without even thinking of my pocket limit.

I went to Nijhawan Electronics in Sahibabad, and asked straight forward for Hitachi 5 Star , dual motor fan AC.The only problem was the delivery.Since my father lives in Duhai and that is considered and the outer limit of the City so most of the dealers are reluctant regarding the delivery.I again decided to place it in my CNG Wagon R and requested the dealer to check the dimensions
of the AC packing and the side gate of my car.

Initially I was thinking of the 3 star 1.5 ton KAZE model, but I wanted the best for my father who is so close to me that it can't be expressed in words, so I choose Hitachi Summer Tm, dual motor , 5 star 1.5 ton.Asked the dealer the final price.He told 34700 without the stabilizer.Instantly agreed and asked for the finance option.Dealer told the Bajaj Finance as their preferred partner. All the formalities were done when I came back with the documents required.

Dealer and the C.C.E were confident and helpful in placing the AC on the back seat of the car and I straight forward paid the amount with Bajaj finance. They took 4415 INR as the down payment and and rest in the EMI's for 8 months.I think it was approx 3900 per month.I refused to take the stabilizer.

When I reached at 7 pm at his residence, again the look on my father's face can't be compared to any other feeling in this universe.Got the AC installed by 9 pm and the initial shock, that the unit is not responding to the Remote signal.I called the Hitachi helpline they told 48 hr limit for their team to visit.
Till then the AC will be working on powerful mode and 16 degree C and on the front panel of AC no other switch other that on/off.

Before leaving I hugged my father and wished him the Father's day and that the AC was a very minute gift to him on the Father's day.He blessed me with his blessings and happily I came back home.

But,I rushed to Dealer and told him the problem with the remote.He told to check the dip switch setting on back side of the remote.It is there because you can control two units with the same remote in same room.I called my father to check it and set it on the other side.After doing that let me share with you all, his voice was telling that he is very much satisfied and that he will be sleeping properly tonight.And I was just overjoyed.

It was 11 pm and full day I ate nothing , but still , was not feeling hungry .
Had a long discussion with my wife back at home and was getting emotional.
I knew that my pocket was hit but few feelings are really wonderful and yes, I would like to add, money can buy things, but the right gift and the right moment makes it absolutely fantastic and you just enjoy the moment.

Regards,
Lalit
Old 16th June 2014, 10:15   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
@OneToughRider; Voltas has had the most powerful blowers. Also, at least these recently they were power hogs!
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hi Team,

This is an update regarding the gift to my wife and a fathers day gift to my Father.....an buy things, but the right gift and the right moment makes it absolutely fantastic and you just enjoy the moment.

Regards,
Lalit
Great!! You didn't took stabilizer or you took stabilizer of a different brand?

Last edited by OneToughRider : 16th June 2014 at 10:17. Reason: Multiquote reply
Old 16th June 2014, 11:12   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Great!! You didn't took stabilizer or you took stabilizer of a different brand?
@OneToughRider

I dint buy the stabilizers, because in Chandigarh, the power supply is quite stable. Also, in Duhai, our house is getting the power supply from the 11000 V mains feeder connected to the separate step down transformer which feeds to only 10 nearby homes.Also, each Stabilizer was costing around 2000-2500 INR.

But, HITACHI is really innovative in providing dual motors in window AC and that too is 5 Star consuming less than 1600 Watts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks