Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 17:03   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Anuj, for a city like Bangalore I'd say go for the one ton unit.
I would advice against the one ton even for Bangalore. Bangaloreans asking for AC means they need some serious cooling. A friend of mine went against my suggestion & got a 1 ton for his small bedroom in bangalore & he had to sell it within 3 months & get a 1.5 ton.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:07   #362
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Priyank, try Voltas. I got Voltas installed in our Pune house and their performance and service has been excellent.

My uncle has been struggling with LG who don't service any AC sold by them after 5 years. They will repair at cost rather than a maintenance plan.

Carrier is not as good as it used to be. Have heard a few complaints.

Daikin is also worth checking out.
I have a Voltas window AC. Its 3yrs old and now sounds like a diesel engine.
I know I love my car and its a diesel but that doesnt mean I want to sleep with it, ON!

What is the price range of Daikin? What about O Gen?
Old 15th April 2009, 17:11   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Priyank there are 2 levels of Aircons that I can suggest.

Rung one is Daikin and Hitachi. 1.5 tons will cost you about 35 to 38K both these machines are trouble-free and extremely silent with low consumption.

Rung two is occupied by everyone else. Of these I found best service and products with Samsung. I have recently purchased a 2ton, 1ton and 0.75 ton machine (all were Samsung) for my home and am very happy with the performance and result. It is my estimate that a Samsung will cost about 25-28 grand for a 1.5 ton.

I would suggest either that you buy a Samsung, or go straight for a Daikin.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:15   #364
Senior - BHPian

I would put OG also in the top rung. Think it is little bit more expensive than the Hitachi.

Yes, I would vouch for Samsung & Onida which I have in my house running for the last 4 years with no maintenance and still cooling well & silent too.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:26   #365
Senior - BHPian

OGeneral and Panasonic would be in the top rung for ACs.
Recently, I have also found out that Godrej ACs (the Gree ones) are also quite good, and a good option for those not willing to pay top money for OGeneral, Panasonic. In fact, I have now recommended/bought 2 Godrej Gree ACs during the last 1 year (one for myself and one for my mother). I do have 2 O-Generals and they are still doing a great job even after 4-5 years.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:29   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm really sorry but I cannot resist. There is NO company in this world called "O" general. Really, lol.

There is an aircondioner made by Fujitsu-general. And it's branded as General. There is no "O". I promise you.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:32   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'm really sorry but I cannot resist. There is NO company in this world called "O" general. Really, lol.

There is an aircondioner made by Fujitsu-general. And it's branded as General. There is no "O". I promise you.
Yes that is correct. The brand is `General' and is manufactured by the company as stated. However, I also cannot resist that what I mean by O-General is really General.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:42   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Compare India - Airconditioners (Split) - O General-ASG30A
Old 15th April 2009, 17:50   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes that's exactly the kind of mistake I mean. Thanks for that example, Samu. You can find the airconditioners here, with no O.

FUJITSU GENERAL

O-General is a misnomer, one that is especially common in India. Try finding an O-general site. You would of course agree with me that if O-General was a big brand, it would at least have a website.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th April 2009 at 17:54.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:16   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
O-General is a misnomer, one that is especially common in India. Try finding an O-general site. You would of course agree with me that if O-General was a big brand, it would at least have a website.
Considering that even dealers and wholesalers of this brand refer to it as O General, there must be something more to it, and I don't mean well endowed or Irish. Think about JBL, would you let your dealers call it O JBL if you didn't want it. Well, you may tolerate O Sam, but that's another story.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:27   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Considering that even dealers and wholesalers of this brand refer to it as O General, there must be something more to it, and I don't mean well endowed or Irish. Think about JBL, would you let your dealers call it O JBL if you didn't want it. Well, you may tolerate O Sam, but that's another story.
O Samu, I stand by what I said.

Find me an official website of an air conditioner called O General and I'll stand corrected. Look on the box of an O General aircon and you will actually see that the O, is merely a logo. The item is a General Air Conditioner.

You can use any search engine you like and you will find that 99% of all occurences of O general are Indian. And yet, there is no official Indian website for O General either.
Look at a so-called O General AC and you will find that it is a Fujitsu product, so clearly we are talking of the same brand here.

My questions:
  1. If O General is an imported international branded Air conditioner - why can you not find an official site, or any site outside India selling an AC called O general?
  2. If Fujitsu-General makes ACs especially for India called O General (and called General everywhere else in the world), why is there no mention of this fact anywhere on the Fujitsu site either?
  3. I am aware that this so-called O General AC is a big name in the middle east and has been one of largest selling brands there. The ACs have been imported from Dubai for years now. Why can I find no website for O General middle east or Dubai?
  4. Even if Fujitsu chooses to not display its brand, the so-called O General, why does no independant electronics site (outside India) sell this brand of ACs? Every other brand is available (Daikin, Hitachi, LG, Samsung, Carrier etc.)
Heh heh, I love arguing with Samurai.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th April 2009 at 18:28.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:40   #372
Senior - BHPian

I have been hearing some wonderful things about the Godrej ACs too - the Gree or whatever - my friend just picked up four 1.5 ton splits @ Hyd for 22k each - INSTALLED!

Unfortunately - only 2 star rating though (- for the mileage concious)
Old 15th April 2009, 19:42   #373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Find me an official website of an air conditioner called O General and I'll stand corrected.
Lot of companies in India don't have web sites, so that's a moot point. Hey, Fiat didn't have a web site for more than a year during 2005-06. Try finding a web site for Yokohama tyres in India, yes it is officially sold here.

Quote:
Look on the box of an O General aircon and you will actually see that the O, is merely a logo. The item is a General Air Conditioner.
Then why all the dealers and wholesalers calling it with the wrong name? What brand manager would be ok with it?

Quote:
Even if Fujitsu chooses to not display its brand, the so-called O General, why does no independant electronics site (outside India) sell this brand of ACs?
May be it is their local brand name. In order to differentiate themselves from others, they probably called it... Oh.. Oooaahhh General, and then just settled for O General.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:58   #374
Senior - BHPian

My vendor told me all (o) Generals are imported from Dubai. He was emphatic that they have NO official presence in India. So much so that the ones sold here do not come with teh 'installation kit' - that I would have to pay extra for the plumbing @ 200/ft.

He also said there is a thriving industry where thrashed machines from Dxb is imported as junk, completely done up - and resold here as new. (the without B&W pieces)

Disclaimer : These are NOT my views.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:59   #375
BHPian

I had bought LG 2 Ton Window AC last year and here is my experience I would like to share. It might be helpful to someone buying.
Pro:
Built quality : Good , plastics look durable and metal sheet is think, well painted. No sign of corrision till now.
Cooling: Excellent, it just chill the room within no time.
Cons:
Noisy fan: I feel its slightly louder than other brand window AC.
Electricity consumption : It consumes lots of power, when the compressor start, whole colony experience a voltage drop for one second. Once I was standing on roof and saw that lights in ever house in colony was becoming dim for one second as compressor started. [Note: There was no star rating on this model]

LG service: crap, they send people for checkup, service who don't have much technical knowledge.

Most Viewed