Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 23:39   #3886
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Get him one of the gulf import General or a machine that has come off the merchant marine ships. The ones coming off the ships are supposed to have some sort of epoxy coating and last a long long time (hearsay, I have no way of confirming this) but then look around and you will find a whole lot of old and new Generals marching on in Bombay and interestingly on house boats in Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
The last time I heard from someone from Mumbai it was fantastic. The concern here is the rusting. Any inputs on that will be appreciated.
Old 1st April 2015, 23:46   #3887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Get him one of the gulf import General or a machine that has come off the merchant marine ships. The ones coming off the ships are supposed to have some sort of epoxy coating and last a long long time (hearsay, I have no way of confirming this) but then look around and you will find a whole lot of old and new Generals marching on in Bombay and interestingly on house boats in Kerala.
General is on the mind and 30k is the budget. General have a nice split model for 35, so may stretch. Else 30 is the max budget we got. What about other brands like Panasonic? Not great?
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:21   #3888
BHPian

Need a 1 ton Split AC ~ Area 120/30 sq.ft. Will be used only in summers. Budget is 30K Plus/Minus

I have shortlisted the following
Make: LLOYD
Tonnage: One
Type: Split (has to be split due to window constraint)
Star: Three
Refrigerant: R410A

5 Years Compressor Warranty
Copper Coil as mentioned in website http://www.mylloyd.com/product-description.php?pid=139

Any review about Lloyd ? I am not that brand conscious.

At present using the following
  1. LG Window AC, 1 Ton since 2000 (Issues - None till date)
  2. Carrier Window AC, 1 Ton since 2003 (Issues - None till date)
  3. Panasonic Cube AC, 1 Ton since 2011 (Issues - None till date)
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:37   #3889
BANNED

@driving_smartly; Everything else looks Ok, but Lloyd are now a new name. I had Fedders Lloyd around 1979 and worked well. One expects an AC to last about a decade, so I will not risk it. There are a lot of rebadged Chinese Brands around. I will stick with the known devils and not go with them.
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:18   #3890
BHPian

1. Can Mitsubishi be categorized in the same tier as Daikin/General/Hitachi/Sharp? How is the service

2. How much do the vendors typically give back for a 1 ton window AC (Hitachi) in working condition

3. Are invertor ACs difficult to repair/service than regular splits? I have heard this from a third party AC technician (not sure of his expertise though)
Old 2nd April 2015, 22:28   #3891
Senior - BHPian

1. Yes. My experience with service has been good. Used Mitsubishi electric machines in Bombay some 6 odd years ago. Dealer was in Chembur at the AmarMahal junction, installations were in New Bombay.

2. Typically 2.5 to 4K

3. Only if the inverter control unit goes bad. There is no one here repairing the same and these have to be replaced, that is why factory support is desirable. Apart from that mechanically they are same as normal machines but with DC motor and compressor which are actually built to better & more stringent specifications compared to non inverter machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
1. Can Mitsubishi be categorized in the same tier as Daikin/General/Hitachi/Sharp? How is the service

2. How much do the vendors typically give back for a 1 ton window AC (Hitachi) in working condition

3. Are invertor ACs difficult to repair/service than regular splits? I have heard this from a third party AC technician (not sure of his expertise though)
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:28   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some suggestions. I need a split AC for my parent's house in Mumbai. Usage will be primarily in the summers and some nights in October/November. This is for our hall, which is roughly 10ft by 14ft and 10ft height. The flat is on the top floor, but the hall has an artificial ceiling. I currently have 1.5T split whirlpool 2 stars in both bedrooms, which I am somehow not happy with. These are over 3 years old and one of them had a PCB replaced within one year of purchase. I feel the cooling is erratic and service is not too good.

I am looking for a split 1.5 tons minimum 3 stars within Rs.32k . Am confused between the below. Kindly suggest.

1. LG 1.5T, 3star, available for around 27500 after discount (VISA card, etc)
http://www.flipkart.com/lg-lsa5np3a-...e4bkussfvp4vu?

2. http://www.lg.com/in/split-ac/lg-LSA5PW3A for around 26100 after discount on Snapdeal. Has lesser input wattage compared to the model above.

3. Kenstar on Amazon- 1.5T, 5star available for about 24k incl free installation (After axis bank cashback).

4. Hitachi- 1.5T, 3star available for about 32k (After visa cashback)
http://www.flipkart.com/hitachi-rau3...NDVFJMZHSRZHVK

5. Voltas -1.5T, 3star available for roughly the same price as LG above.
http://www.flipkart.com/voltas-183cy...c-1379877d2546

Last edited by hrman : 3rd April 2015 at 08:42.
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:43   #3893
BHPian

A doubt troubling my mind

This may sound silly, but being a newbie as far air conditioners are concerned, this is a question that is trouble my mind ever since I installed a split air conditioner. The question is simply How do split A/Cs recirculate air?

I was thinking that A/Cs, including split air conditioners would be drawing air from outside and throwing it inside the room. However, I find that there are only 3 pipes coming from the indoor unit. Two of them are sealed refrigerant tubes where as the other is the drain pipe.

So, I feel that it is just recirculate the air that is inside the room. If that is the case, is not a problem to have the room closed for a long time and inhaling the stale air? Am I missing some thing? (I certainly wish so)
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:47   #3894
BANNED

@n_ramesh99; Actually the air circuits are different in all cases. Inside air is normally recirculated while outside air is drawn to cool the condenser. What is happening in a split unit is that the two parts are physically separated.
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:49   #3895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_ramesh99 View Post
So, I feel that it is just recirculate the air that is inside the room. If that is the case, is not a problem to have the room closed for a long time and inhaling the stale air? Am I missing some thing? (I certainly wish so)
I had the same doubt earlier and confirmed that Split A/Cs just recirculate air within the room and do not pump in fresh air. Unless you have too many people in the room or a very very small room, the air in the room should be enough for a night. If this is a concern still, window A/Cs do have an option to allow fresh air.
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:03   #3896
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
If this is a concern still, window A/Cs do have an option to allow fresh air.
My tuppence worth. In my over 37 years of AC ownership I never remember having used the Fresh Air setting. Exhaust yes, on a few occasions. These selectors are often non functional and the monkeys who masquerade as service personnel often disconnect them.
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:12   #3897
BHPian

Just bought Panasonic 3 star 1.5 T window a/c for 27K. Took it over other models, it has some air purifying capabilities which I was looking. Though it won't serve the purpose of air purifier, but whatever it does to some extent will help.
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:21   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Are spares for General ACs a problem to source?
My split unit has a faulty swing motor. The service guys came over 2 weeks ago and told me they would get the motor replaced in a week or so.
However now they're saying spares aren't available for this model as its old.
My AC unit was bought in 2012,considering ACs are expected to be used for a good 8-10 years I find it hard to believe that spares aren't available.
Will escalating within the company help ? What are the options available here
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:44   #3899
BHPian

Thank you sirs skumare and sgiitk for your prompt reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I had the same doubt earlier and confirmed that Split A/Cs just recirculate air within the room and do not pump in fresh air. Unless you have too many people in the room or a very very small room, the air in the room should be enough for a night. If this is a concern still, window A/Cs do have an option to allow fresh air.
I agree to this. The corollary to this is that after a night you have to open your windows and allow fresh air to come in. Unfortunately I don't see this mentioned anywhere, including in the operating instructions of the A/C. I do not think a lot of people are aware of this. I am now thinking about the quality of air inside the shops that are cooled by split A/Cs .
Old 3rd April 2015, 15:17   #3900
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep a window half open or close the door leaving a few inches open. This will automatically ensure that you will get fresh air into the room.

I have been doing the same since past 6 years with good results. Room does not feel stuffy.

Another important point is to clean the filters every month. There will be a whole lot of dirt in it and will affect the health over long run. Also give the outdoor unit a nice pressure wash once in 6 months(Do this after switching off the power supply and not switching on for 6 hours after washing to ensure that water is evaporated.)

Small things like these ensure that the AC works for a long time without problems

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks